Marantz MCR603 paired with B&W CM5?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I've heard the pairing with the CM1s on numerous occasions and have been impressed every time. I couldn't, however, accurately guess how that would translate across to the CM5s.

I suspect it would be quite good, but would not be getting the best from the speakers. I certainly wouldn't spend that much without listening to the pairing first.

Viao-2008

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your replys. What do you think would be a good amp to pair with them to get the most out of the speaker? the most i can spend would be £1200 and the amp would have to have a usb, bluetooth to connet my iphone

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Viao-2008 said:
Thanks for your replys. What do you think would be a good amp to pair with them to get the most out of the speaker? the most i can spend would be £1200 and the amp would have to have a usb, bluetooth to connet my iphone

I think you can get something like the Behringer 202 to connect your iphone, so you don't need to have usb on the amp? Would you not be using a DAC as well?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Rotel traditionally works well with B&W and this amp could be just what you are looking for

http://www.whathifi.com/news/rotel-boosts-15-series-hi-fi-range-with-new-cd-player-and-stereo-amp

As it's new, nobody would have heard the combination.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
manicm said:
WHF didn't give the CM5 much cop. I think the 685 will be better value and more flexible too, if you're looking that way. Otherwise there are other speakers on Earth you know...

Yes, but if the OP like the look...

Is there huge significance in WHFI giving them 3 stars? Isn't it more about system synergy?

4 stars actually.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
manicm said:
WHF didn't give the CM5 much cop. I think the 685 will be better value and more flexible too, if you're looking that way. Otherwise there are other speakers on Earth you know...

Yes, but if the OP like the look...

Is there huge significance in WHFI giving them 3 stars? Isn't it more about system synergy?

4 stars actually.

Just proves you can't always trust what's written. If you look in the April 2013 edition the CM5s are in a Group Test with LS50s, Audiovector K1 Super, Mission SX2, Opera Mezza and Tannoy Precision 6.1. The CM5s have been reduced to 3 stars.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
If you look in the April 2013 edition the CM5s are in a Group Test with LS50s, Audiovector K1 Super, Mission SX2, Opera Mezza and Tannoy Precision 6.1. The CM5s have been reduced to 3 stars.

Ah, ok thanks. Yeah they must be c##p then.

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes, good firewood though.

I remember seeing a thorough review of the cm5s with testing (not just listening test) that rated them as top notch. That was a couple of years ago though. Do you have an open fire?

manicm

The CM5 could find a good home in some system I'm sure, but take a look at that price. You've really got to be Lady Gaga over the looks to overlook other speakers.

BTW I haven't heard them but I have heard the CM1s - and thought they could have done with a bit more clarity.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts