Mains cables / Mains blocks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"]Unfortunately the documented tests I have seen so far have given negative results...[/quote]

All a negative test means is that the theory/hypothesis has survived another test- not that its correct.. The
Newtonian theory of gravitation lasted 228 years before it was superseded by Einstein's new General Theory of Relativity. Until relativity and quantum mechanics came along, physics was considered 99% there with very little to discover-a clockwork deterministic universe.
Another example is Dark Energy. No theory predicted that it so no one looked for it. It was only by accident it was discovered when trying to measure something else. Since this dark energy is supposed to be 74% of the universe, this is quite a large omission.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Anton90125"][quote user="fr0g"]Unfortunately the documented tests I have seen so far have given negative results...[/quote]

All a negative test means is that the theory/hypothesis has survived another test- not that its correct.. The
Newtonian theory of gravitation lasted 228 years before it was superseded by Einstein's new General Theory of Relativity. Until relativity and quantum mechanics came along, physics was considered 99% there with very little to discover-a clockwork deterministic universe.
Another example is Dark Energy. No theory predicted that it so no one looked for it. It was only by accident it was discovered when trying to measure something else. Since this dark energy is supposed to be 74% of the universe, this is quite a large omission.[/quote]

I know... But you would think that something that has "such an inluence on sound" would have been properly tested. But no the best we get is "We do blind tests and A is better than B, and you just have to trust us" - well I'm sorry, I don't

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JAXON5"]There is some evidence that homeopathy may not just be placebo.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7983994?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
bmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

[quote user="fr0g"]

There was a serious scientific attempt to prove homeopathy could work, (and to win the ubiquitous Randi million), televised...It failed strangely enough.[/quote]

Homeopathy has been shown to be effective many, many times. Its just a question of how. Not necessarily placebo.

I have to say there are many things we don't yet understand about many things inc. homeopathy. Focus is not on proving it works but demonstrating it can be effective in certain groups of people for certain conditions .An example of such research

http://www.duets.nhs.uk/ViewRecord.asp?ID=581[/quote]

Homeopathy and Scientology have about equal footing imo. It is simply impossible. Unless you believe that water molecules can remember something that they were mixed with.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"][quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Dare I mention at this point (for the billionth time) that we blind test mains cables, judging the results on their audible effects (or lack of)?
emotion-2.gif

[/quote]

You did. But they are not scientifically documented. And to be quite blunt... :)

comments like "Offers plenty to like - smooth treble and deep bass, plus bags of details" for a POWER CABLE

make me cringe a little.

[/quote]

But then we've tested them and - by your own admission - you never have.

It's incredibly easy to be dismissive about anything until you try it: look at the amount of people on these Forums who don't share your enthusiasm for digital music, for example.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"][quote user="fr0g"][quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Dare I mention at this point (for the billionth time) that we blind test mains cables, judging the results on their audible effects (or lack of)?
emotion-2.gif

[/quote]

You did. But they are not scientifically documented. And to be quite blunt... :)

comments like "Offers plenty to like - smooth treble and deep bass, plus bags of details" for a POWER CABLE

make me cringe a little.

[/quote]

But then we've tested them and - by your own admission - you never have.

It's incredibly easy to be dismissive about anything until you try it: look at the amount of people on these Forums who don't share your enthusiasm for digital music, for example.
[/quote]

But then all I want is a properly documented test. You say you blind test, but we have no methodology. What we get in the magazine is simply views, not science.

I have waited a long long time to see ANY properly conducted, and documented positive result for power cables. And I am still waiting... :)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Our methodology is standard ABX, which i've stated many times. It still doesn't make you happy....

[/quote]

I would be very happy if it was properly documented. As it is, you say it is ABX, then publish your subjective views. I would happily pay double for an issue in which you did a proper, scientific ABX test of a number of power cables. (Saying that I already pay double over here in Sweden!)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="chebby"]I get the feeling that fr0g finds actual listening to hifi problematic as a criteria for assessment. Maybe we should go back to old days where equipment was put in anechoic rooms and loudspeakers played test frequencies into microphones and the reader of the test could feast upon the printed response curves or photographs of 'scope traces. (snip blah di blah etc)[/quote]

I think you have me misunderstood. (Queue The Animals)
I dont concern myself with power cables as I dont believe they make any difference. The only place where I give them a second thought is here, on these (and other similar) forums.
However, if someone produced a documented, positive ABX result of the potential for system improvement, I would perhaps give one a try... And of course this involves quite a lot of listening to hifi as a criteria for assessment. Until then, I will stick with my manufacturer supplied leads, and enjoy...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="chebby"]The Linn rep barked at them that they didn't "Sell furniture" and sent them packing.[/quote] I'm not surprised the owner was upset!!! How embarrasing must that have been - oh dear. Quite funny though
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]

Our methodology is standard ABX, which i've stated many times. It still doesn't make you happy....

[/quote]

It makes me smile.

Regards Ed.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"] I will stick with my manufacturer supplied leads, and enjoy..[/quote]

I think it's a bit unreasonable to presume that the designer of a well made and good sounding amplifier, especially one of the top end designs, would suddenly become totally inept when it came to the relatively simple task of fitting a mains lead to it.

Regards Ed

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

But if you find it funny and no-one else does, is that a placebo effect?

[/quote]

Surely you would be the expert on that.
emotion-1.gif

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Eddy Current"]
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

But if you find it funny and no-one else does, is that a placebo effect?

[/quote]

Surely you would be the expert on that.
emotion-1.gif

[/quote]actually i am .....

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Eddy Current"]Surely you would be the expert on that.[/quote]

So very bored of your sniping and playground insults. I think I shall do what I have been resisting for ages.

TRENDING THREADS