Mains Block for Power Amps

lastcoyote

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
I've currently got my cd player, turntable and pre amp plugged into a Tacima mains block but have got my power amps plugged directly into the wall sockets due to reading that the Tacima blocks can rob power amps of power and therefore have a detrimental effect on the sound.

I'm looking for a mains block that wont do this and so allow me to plug everything into it including my power amps.

Can people give me suggestions on what would be a good mains block for this?

Would the Clearer Audio Copper-line Alpha mains block be ok for this? How about Russ Andrews The Silencer mains block?

lastcoyote:
I've currently got my cd player, turntable and pre amp plugged into a Tacima mains block but have got my power amps plugged directly into the wall sockets due to reading that the Tacima blocks can rob power amps of power and therefore have a detrimental effect on the sound.

I'm looking for a mains block that wont do this and so allow me to plug everything into it including my power amps.

Can people give me suggestions on what would be a good mains block for this?

Would the Clearer Audio Copper-line Alpha mains block be ok for this? How about Russ Andrews The Silencer mains block?

Hi lastcoyote

For optimum performance i'll suggest that you leave your power amp plugged directly into the wall sockets. As for a mains block then ones from Wilkinsons Stores which cost a few £ will do the trick nicely.

Keep it simple and your components/system will breathe
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

lastcoyote

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
thanks for your reply rick,

i'm someone that feels that your system can benefit from cleaned mains so was kind of hoping for recommendations for those type of mains blocks as opposed to a standard extension.

though of course you may be perfectly right about keeping power amps plugged directly to wall sockets.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Righteo, four "options"

1. Tacima mains block with power amp on different wall socket. (£30)

2. El Cheapo extension block with a plug in Tacima. (£35)

3. Hydra type plug (£15) can get better cables and connectors as well at cost

4. Seperate fuse box and spur (£200 ish)

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
If you have a double socket you can get two "hydra" style plugs and have High power stuff on one and "Source" stuff on the other

This is what I am using with a dedicated spur/mcb feeding a silver plated unswitched wall socket.

Next month or so I am having a seperate consumer unit fitted, one cct for my AV and one CCT for my HIFI :)

lastcoyote

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
hi true blue,

i'm in a rented property so any mains upgrades will have to be 'non invasive' if you know what i mean :)

I may try using a second tacima mains block for amps only. see what that brings to the table.

not heard of the 'hydra' plugs before. how do they work and what are the benefits of using them?

michael hoy

True Blue:
If you have a double socket you can get two "hydra" style plugs and have High power stuff on one and "Source" stuff on the other

This is what I am using with a dedicated spur/mcb feeding a silver plated unswitched wall socket.

Next month or so I am having a seperate consumer unit fitted, one cct for my AV and one CCT for my HIFI :)

True Blue,

Can you describe / explain the hydra style plugs, not come accross the plug before.

lastcoyote

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
True Blue:

Dont use a second Tacima for Amps only.

hang on i thought one of your suggestions was to use a second tacima for the amps on a seperate wall socket.

is this not a good idea then?

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
lastcoyote:True Blue:

Dont use a second Tacima for Amps only.

hang on i thought one of your suggestions was to use a second tacima for the amps on a seperate wall socket.

is this not a good idea then?

No not a good idea, robs the amp of dynamics / headroom etc etc. My fault bad grammer sorry

Line read

1. Tacima mains block with power amp on different wall socket. (£30)

Should have read

1. Tacima mains block, with power amp on different wall socket. (£30)

lastcoyote

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
ah i get ya now.

so are you saying that a product like russ andrews silencer 6 way power block would also rob amps of dynamics/headroom?

what cables do you wire in to your hydra plugs then out of interest?

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Cant comment on the RA gear sorry, all I know is my tacima did.

You could just use the cables that came with your gear for starts. Or after that any cable you want really. I am using Belden 19364, it just fits.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts