Mail order record cleaning?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know any good record cleaning services who work via post, eg pay online, post your record with proof of purchase and they post it back? Googled a few but it would be useful to have a recommendation. Ta.

K

keeper of the quays

MajorFubar said:
Anyone know any good record cleaning services who work via post, eg pay online, post your record with proof of purchase and they post it back? Googled a few but it would be useful to have a recommendation. Ta.
Are you joking major?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

Which part of the country are you?

K

keeper of the quays

MajorFubar said:
Thanks Chebby I'll keep a note of that.

keeper of the quays said:
Are you joking major?
Why would I have been joking?
I don't wish to sound like a know all..there is a very cheap effective way of cleaning records..even my friend who has the 30k turntable actually thought it worked! By all means major do what you think best but could you try my method on one lp..and compare it with a lp you sent away to be cleaned..if ok?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'll certainly listen any ideas, Keeper. I've tried loads of commercial and DIY cleaning solutions, all of which leave at least some residue behind. Nothing's ever quite as good as a vacuumed clean.

spiny norman said:
Have you had a look at the list of Keith Monks Cleaning Centres?

I have Norman, thanks, nearest is about 40 miles away, and considering I don't drive and I would need to take a return journey on a train to get there and back, I was looking for something a bit more cost effective, such as post.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I have Norman, thanks, nearest is about 40 miles away, and considering I don't drive and I would need to take a return journey on a train to get there and back, I was looking for something a bit more cost effective, such as post.

No problem, but there are a couple of mail order cleaning operations down tthe bottom of that list, too. Although of course taking a whole bunch of LPs to be cleaned might make a day-trip worthwhile – seeing how it's done with a KMRC machine is pretty interesting, as I saw at a show where the company was doing demos, and I am sure some listening would be arranged while you waited.

K

keeper of the quays

MajorFubar said:
I'll certainly listen any ideas, Keeper. I've tried loads of commercial and DIY cleaning solutions, all of which leave at least some residue behind. Nothing's ever quite as good as a vacuumed clean.

spiny norman said:
Have you had a look at the list of Keith Monks Cleaning Centres?

using 'power force eraser sponge pads' these are sold in pound shops, pound stretcher etc..i can send you four if you can't get any local? Four will last a long time! Window cleaners using pure water leave no residue on windows! Just saying..i have reconfigured my method to please the discerning and avoid flack..use two pads..one pad to do initial cleaning then other pad to wipe away! Use distilled water..soak pad 1..sluice lp with water avoiding label..let water soak in for a few minutes..then agitate record surface with pad1..going round and round the record a few times..then using pad2 wipe the record again this brings off the dirt and residual water! You now have a choice? Let record dry naturally or dry with tissue..lidl toilet tissue doubled up is good as it's strong and doesn't fall apart!..this helps speed up drying of the lp..i buy mostly chariyshop lps and they a
Covered with nicotine, coal fire residue etc...i find this method effective and cheap..hope this helps.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

using 'power force eraser sponge pads' these are sold in pound shops, pound stretcher etc..i can send you four if you can't get any local? Four will last a long time! Window cleaners using pure water leave no residue on windows! Just saying..i have reconfigured my method to please the discerning and avoid flack..use two pads..one pad to do initial cleaning then other pad to wipe away! Use distilled water..soak pad 1..sluice lp with water avoiding label..let water soak in for a few minutes..then agitate record surface with pad1..going round and round the record a few times..then using pad2 wipe the record again this brings off the dirt and residual water! You now have a choice? Let record dry naturally or dry with tissue..lidl toilet tissue doubled up is good as it's strong and doesn't fall apart!..this helps speed up drying of the lp..i buy mostly chariyshop lps and they a Covered with nicotine, coal fire residue etc...i find this method effective and cheap..hope this helps.

I've heard that sand-blasting is a very effective cleaner, but I wouldn't use it for my records, so if I was you, major, I'd keep away from using cheap cleaning sponges from Poundland.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
using 'power force eraser sponge pads' these are sold in pound shops, pound stretcher etc..i can send you four if you can't get any local? Four will last a long time! Window cleaners using pure water leave no residue on windows! Just saying..i have reconfigured my method to please the discerning and avoid flack..use two pads..one pad to do initial cleaning then other pad to wipe away! Use distilled water..soak pad 1..sluice lp with water avoiding label..let water soak in for a few minutes..then agitate record surface with pad1..going round and round the record a few times..then using pad2 wipe the record again this brings off the dirt and residual water! You now have a choice? Let record dry naturally or dry with tissue..lidl toilet tissue doubled up is good as it's strong and doesn't fall apart!..this helps speed up drying of the lp..i buy mostly chariyshop lps and they a Covered with nicotine, coal fire residue etc...i find this method effective and cheap..hope this helps.

I've heard that sand-blasting is a very effective cleaner, but I wouldn't use it for my records, so if I was you, major, I'd keep away from using cheap cleaning sponges from Poundland.

Ditto. There's the tried and tested way for precious vinyl and nought else.

K

keeper of the quays

If anyone here has tried the keepers method please feel free to comment..if you haven't tried it? Try it first before you criticise..it's this old thinking and set in the ways modes which are so endemic of the old guard here..

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
If anyone here has tried the keepers method please feel free to comment..if you haven't tried it? Try it first before you criticise..it's this old thinking and set in the ways modes which are so endemic of the old guard here..

A couple of drops of liquid soap in lukewarm water and a microfibre cloth works well; it's the same sort of principle. Dry asap with an old lint-free, cotton T-shirt. Having said that, hard water may not be ideal for this process. Dunno really. Avoid the labels as much as possible, especially orange labels, CBS, for example as they bleed colour. All the dealers I know use some variant of liquid soap and water, although one has just bought a cleaning machine; he's getting back to me, re whether it's a worthwhile investment, when he's cleaned a few.

I think you're wrong, Keeper: it's those new to vinyl records who are so ridiculously precious about all aspects of record-collecting/cleaning/storage although I'm aware that many new pressings are noisy or crackle etc. I only buy old records ( 50's/60's/70's) which are often pressed on heavyweight vinyl and have been pretty heavily used; inner-groove distortion and edge-warpng are my enemies, rather than dust and dirt.

We're all adults; we make our own choices and always remember that war and hunger are facets of life for the majority of the planet. A useful perspective on our first-world problems.

K

keeper of the quays

Jim_W said:

A couple of drops of liquid soap in lukewarm water and a microfibre cloth works well; it's the same sort of principle. Dry asap with an old lint-free, cotton T-shirt. Having said that, hard water may not be ideal for this process. Dunno really. Avoid the labels as much as possible, especially orange labels, CBS, for example as they bleed colour. All the dealers I know use some variant of liquid soap and water, although one has just bought a cleaning machine; he's getting back to me, re whether it's a worthwhile investment, when he's cleaned a few. 

I think you're wrong, Keeper: it's those new to vinyl records who are so ridiculously precious about all aspects of record-collecting/cleaning/storage although I'm aware that many new pressings are noisy or crackle etc. I only buy old records ( 50's/60's/70's) which are often pressed on heavyweight vinyl and have been pretty heavily used; inner-groove distortion and edge-warpng are my enemies, rather than dust and dirt. 

We're all adults; we make our own choices and always remember that war and hunger are facets of life for the majority of the planet. A useful perspective on our first-world problems. 

Jim, I hope your using a denon dl110 and a ca 640p phono stage! If not..why not? These two items are a marriage made in heaven for old vinyl..soap leaves a residue...try my method..then report back! As for your last utterance? I'm not sure where your going with this?

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Jim_W said:

Jim, I hope your using a denon dl110 and a ca 640p phono stage! If not..why not? These two items are a marriage made in heaven for old vinyl..soap leaves a residue...try my method..then report back! As for your last utterance? I'm not sure where your going with this?

I use a variety of phono stages and styli/styluses for different purposes/condition of records. Liquid soap does not leave a residue in my experience. I don't understand why you can't understand where I'm going. Thanks for your reply.

K

keeper of the quays

Jim_W said:
Jim_W said:

I use a variety of phono stages and styli/styluses for different purposes/condition of records. Liquid soap does not leave a residue in my experience. I don't understand why you can't understand where I'm going. Thanks for your reply. 
Sorry Jim it leaves a residue..thats why I said distilled water..i used my words when describing my method carefully..as not to garner criticism from the die hard extraction machine/ homemade chemical cleaner brigade....i happily wash my lps under the tap! And use a boot brush on them! Lol..my dl110 and 640p provide such a quiet surface...it's great! Maybe you could tell me what these various styli are? As I can learn something new..crumbs from the table so to speak..my comment re where your going was the last part of your post? Referencing war and hunger..im guessing you mean why are we talking of such things when there is so much suffering in the world? Or maybe we shouldn't take ourselves seriously in our hobby as the suffering of the world precludes this? Either way it's a odd thing to end a agreeable and interesting post from you..

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Jim_W said:

Sorry Jim it leaves a residue..thats why I said distilled water..i used my words when describing my method carefully..as not to garner criticism from the die hard extraction machine/ homemade chemical cleaner brigade....i happily wash my lps under the tap! And use a boot brush on them! Lol..my dl110 and 640p provide such a quiet surface...it's great! Maybe you could tell me what these various styli are? As I can learn something new..crumbs from the table so to speak..my comment re where your going was the last part of your post? Referencing war and hunger..im guessing you mean why are we talking of such things when there is so much suffering in the world? Or maybe we shouldn't take ourselves seriously in our hobby as the suffering of the world precludes this? Either way it's a odd thing to end a agreeable and interesting post from you..

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree; I understand that you chose your words carefully but I maintain liquid soap doesn't leave a residue, at least with the water I use. Hard water may yield different results. The Denon cart you use is fine for older records as are those made by Nagaoka, Shure and Audio Technica. Old Quad preamps, such as the Quad 34, are not known for transparency and hence are kinder to battered records; similarly, those found in older integrated amps such as Nad and the Arcam Alpha range have a seemingly less harsh RIAA curve than the rather more forward sound of some modern equipment. Depends how you like music to be presented really; I like to use equipment the records were made for.

You read my concluding comments perceptively.

K

keeper of the quays

Jim_W said:
Jim_W said:
Jim_W said:

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree; I understand that you chose your words carefully but I maintain liquid soap doesn't leave a residue, at least with the water I use. Hard water may yield different results. The Denon cart you use is fine for older records as are those made by Nagaoka, Shure and Audio Technica. Old Quad preamps, such as the Quad 34, are not known for transparency and hence are kinder to battered records; similarly, those found in older integrated amps such as Nad and the Arcam Alpha range have a seemingly less harsh RIAA curve than the rather more forward sound of some modern equipment. Depends how you like music to be presented really; I like to use equipment the records were made for. 

thank you for your fulsome answer..i like the cut of your jib sir..this voyage we take on this sea of vinyl..is a maiden crossing as we don't know what these capricious records hold in store..but one thing I know is us who love the tempestuous vinyl sea..have this passion that only another vinyl mariner could understand! So we may be a motely crew? But never a more loyal crew will you ever meet come hell or high water!

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Jim_W said:
Jim_W said:

thank you for your fulsome answer..i like the cut of your jib sir..this voyage we take on this sea of vinyl..is a maiden crossing as we don't know what these capricious records hold in store..but one thing I know is us who love the tempestuous vinyl sea..have this passion that only another vinyl mariner could understand! So we may be a motely crew? But never a more loyal crew will you ever meet come hell or high water!

'Sea of vinyl. 'capricious records', 'tempestuous vinyl sea' etc!!! Probably the funniest extended metaphor I have ever read. I await your modernisation of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' with baited breath. I had to lauigh! Nice one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts