Made in Japan

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Should we still be worried about the safety of products made in Japan regarding radioactive contamination?, for example the Marantz PM6004 is made in Shirakawa in the Fukishima district , this town was affected by fallout from the power station as was many part of north east Japan , but is not in the exlusion zone .Just a thought.

A

Anonymous

Hi, the thought has never crossed my mind. I'm sure that Japanese companies couldn't (and wouldn't) export any goods that posed any such risk. I really wouldn't give it a second thought, I hope they and their companies recover as far as possible as quickly as possible, as I don't doubt you do too.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Johnno2 said:
Should we still be worried about the safety of products made in Japan regarding radioactive contamination?, for example the Marantz PM6004 is made in Shirakawa in the Fukishima district , this town was affected by fallout from the power station as was many part of north east Japan , but is not in the exlusion zone .Just a thought.

Were you ever really worried?

Bless.

A

Anonymous

Really?

Really?

Really?

Oh well, if you're concerned about this then have a google for radon gas and I hope you don't live in Cornwall.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
And don't have any granite worktops in your kitchen. Nor watches with luminous dials. Don't fly, especially long haul flights. Better not buy anything from Kuwait or Iraq after all the depleted uranium shells fired there. And whatever you do, don't let your dentist X-ray your teeth.

A

Anonymous

lindsayt said:
And don't have any granite worktops in your kitchen. Nor watches with luminous dials. Don't fly, especially long haul flights. Better not buy anything from Kuwait or Iraq after all the depleted uranium shells fired there. And whatever you do, don't let your dentist X-ray your teeth.

I'm starting to feel itchy

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
As long as the itchiness isn't accompanied by a red rash or blistering or ulceration you'll probably be fine in the short term.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Johnno2 said:

Without going into details, no. There's nothing to worry about :grin: Unfortunately it's that kind of thinking that‘s causing further damage and discrimination both in an out of Japan.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
dalwen said:
unique selling point --> Marantz Glow in the dark series
Haha yes, Maybe a dose of radiation is what makes the PM6004 sound good :rofl:

Seriously though, I have come across a few articles about the subject from various sources from completely dismissive to downright scaremongering , the chances of anything more than normal background radiation coming from something like a Marantz PM6004 or anything else made in that part of Japan is very small. After all they are just assembled there, I would imagine the components are made in differnt parts of Japan or other countries , I always assumed these things were made in China like the 6003 series

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
There's a lot of manufacturing (particularly semiconductor related) in that part of the country, so if it was an issue it'd be popping up in all sorts of products all over the world, not just ones from Japanese companies and/or assembled in Tohoku. It shouldn't be an issue becuase it's not as if it is put together from raw materials that were outside and exposed to the radioactive cesium. Even most of the rubble from the earthquake/tsunami which was outside and potentially exposed has had very low radioactivity readings.

That said, I don't have complete faith in the testing regimes and transparency of the Japanese authorities and even though everything that makes it to market is supposedly safe, I tend to avoid foodstuffs grown in so I'm also partially guilty of contributing to the further economic troubles the region is facing.

Cesium scatter map

http://dwqovw6qi0vie.cloudfront.net/article-imgs/en/2011/11/21/AJ201111210014/AJ201111210095.jpg

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:

Not to mention naturally ocurring radioactive potassium isotopes in bananas... potatoes, kidney beans, sun-flower seeds and many nuts!

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Johnno2 said:

Don't you think they need all the help they can get ? :O

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts