Mid to high end headphones not made in China - what is there?

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
So, I recently tried a pair of the new B&W P7s and was quite impressed - but really saddened to learn that (like other B&W) they're made in China. I'd previously ruled out the (less expensive) AKG K550s for the same reason, and I won't be looking at the B&O H6 for that, and other, reasons.

At these margins, there's no excuse for not building in the EU, where factories and working conditions are properly regulated (I have no issue with the quality of Chinese manufacturing, which is variable but in these cases excellent). I know most people don't care, which is a bit sad, but I choose to.

I do already have a pair of BeyerDynamic DT770s, made in Germany at half the price. To me they're a little dull, a function of their purpose (and what I bought them for) being pro audio/monitoring. I'd like something that's still natural sounding but with a more 'open' soundstage and great detail - something like the P7s or K550s in fact.

I looked at the AKGs that used to be made in Austria, but even those models seem Chinese-made now.

Can anyone suggest an alternative that's made in the EU, or US, or Japan - or anywhere with proper employee protection?

A

Anonymous

Grado, apart from the iGrado are made in the US. 2nd hand Goldring DRs may have been made in the UK.

However, I wouldn't assume that the UK, or most of the EU, US or Japan has 'proper' employee protection!

Even in the UK, employee rights have been eroded thanks to Mr Cameron. Even an Employment Tribunal is a chargeable service with employee or ex-employee fees - £390 for things like unpaid wages, and £1200 for discrimination type cases - for those actually progressing to a hearing.

For those claiming unfair dismissal, the law changed to 2 years qualifying instead of the previous 1 year. Shocking.

Rant over. Hope you find something you like. :)

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps you could ask the Co-Op: they're supposed to be big on "ethical" trading.

I just wonder if their former chairman bought his coke from a renewable and sustainable source. After all, you don't want to destroy the rain forests.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
OneBoxSystem said:
Grado, apart from the iGrado are made in the US. 2nd hand Goldring DRs may have been made in the UK.

However, I wouldn't assume that the UK, or most of the EU, US or Japan has 'proper' employee protection!

Even in the UK, employee rights have been eroded thanks to Mr Cameron. Even an Employment Tribunal is a chargeable service with employee or ex-employee fees - £390 for things like unpaid wages, and £1200 for discrimination type cases - for those actually progressing to a hearing.

For those claiming unfair dismissal, the law changed to 2 years qualifying instead of the previous 1 year. Shocking.

Rant over. Hope you find something you like. :)

I think you will find that EU factories along with the US are crippled by Health & Safety regulations to protect their workers, China, India etc doesn't.

Sizzers said:
Perhaps you could ask the Co-Op: they're supposed to be big on "ethical" trading.

I just wonder if their former chairman bought his coke from a renewable and sustainable source. After all, you don't want to destroy the rain forests.

So what's that got to do with headphones.

I commend the OP for wanting to support the 'local' economy, unfortunately it will severely restrict your options. Welcome to the world of greed.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Sennheisser HD600/650 are made in Ireland.
Interestingly my old HD25-1 II's were made in Ireland, but the Amperior doesn't say despite being only a slightly tweaked design that's double the price. If that's made in China too then that's pretty bad!

Also my Q701's were made in Austria. There really isn't much around that isn't made in China these days. SoundMAGIC's are made in house, but they are a Chinese company so I guess that won't impress you :p.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
IMHO irrespective of places of manufacturing of any products it is the QC that controls the quality of the final product. If a brand is manufactured in somewhere outside its origin that brand has the responsibility to ensure the QC is carried out properly in accordance with their standards. Therefore a product even made in its own place of origin can fail if the QC is not properly controlled. I don't think places of manufacturing is that important.

Inter_Voice said:
IMHO irrespective of places of manufacturing of any products it is the QC that controls the quality of the final product. If a brand is manufactured in somewhere outside its origin that brand has the responsibility to ensure the QC is carried out properly in accordance with their standards. Therefore a product even made in its own place of origin can fail if the QC is not properly controlled. I don't think places of manufacturing is that important.

The OP is talking about ethical issues rather than product quality.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
OH, I have overlooked the discussion :wall: Nowadays most businessman will only care about maximizing profits and I am afraid there will not too many people who will really care about ethical issues.

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for the (mostly) helpful suggestions. Grado might be an option, but I need to get past how they look. I can't get on with the Sennheiser 650 for some reason. Quite liked the AKG Q701/K701, but I think these are now Chinese made. So it looks like it's Grado, or I have to try and be like most consumers and not think too much about the implications of what I'm buying!

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
gregch said:
Thanks for the (mostly) helpful suggestions. Grado might be an option, but I need to get past how they look. I can't get on with the Sennheiser 650 for some reason. Quite liked the AKG Q701/K701, but I think these are now Chinese made. So it looks like it's Grado, or I have to try and be like most consumers and not think too much about the implications of what I'm buying!
If you have only tried the Sennheiser HD650, I'd advise you trying out the HD600 as well, it's less coloured. Unlike the differences between the Q701 and K701 - which is none (sound wise). Have you also considered the Beyerdynamic DT880. The sound signature is more closer to the Q/K701 than the HD650 and it's quite different to the DT770 - much flatter response.

PS. I found out that the Sennheiser Amperior is also made in Ireland, which means the Momentum also probably is, but I don't think these will suit you.

Sir Lemon

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Meze Headphones are EU designed & made (I believe), and the Meze 88 sound wonderful (this coming from a guy that simply dislikes headphones altogather).

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Beyerdynamic's Tesla (T-series) headphones are made in Germany. These have a different sound to the monitor DT770 being more contemporary and full of life with or without a headphone amp.

A

Anonymous

eggontoast said:
I think you will find that EU factories along with the US are crippled by Health & Safety regulations to protect their workers, China, India etc doesn't.

He's back! Try telling that to the undercover reporter on order picking night shift in Amazon UK.

eggontoast said:
Sizzers said:

He can say whatever he likes. You do on every thread you inhabit and don't stay on topic. Remember the 'manners' thread?
smiley-smile.gif

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
OneBoxSystem said:
Sizzers said:

He can say whatever he likes. You do on every thread you inhabit and don't stay on topic. Remember the 'manners' thread?
smiley-smile.gif

EOT doesn't get tongue-in-cheek or a dry sense of humour.
smiley-smile.gif

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
OneBoxSystem said:
He's back!

Ah, how sweet, you must have missed me, just to let you know I'm not that way inclined bigfella ;-)

OneBoxSystem said:
smiley-smile.gif

Errrr, no, sorry, it must have played a bigger part in your life than mine.

Sizzers said:
EOT doesn't get tongue-in-cheek or a dry sense of humour.
smiley-smile.gif

It appears that the OP is not the only one to be commended, I commend you to sir for thinking you have a sense of humour !

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
Er... not sure what I've inadvertently started here
smiley-frown.gif

But, back on topic, some great suggestions. Love the Fostex, although of course they're quite expensive.

Turns out that all AKG are now made in China (as incidentally are the Sennheiser Momentum). So it looks like there are very few options - I either need to stick with BeyerDynamic, come to terms with the plasticyness of Grados, spend a stupid amount and go high-end Japanese, or be like everyone else and not care where stuff is made or what the implications of that might be... and probably get the P7s.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
gregch said:
Er... not sure what I've inadvertently started here
smiley-frown.gif

Don't mind us, we like a little squabble.

gregch said:
I either need to stick with BeyerDynamic

It's definitely worth listening to some of the other offerings from Beyer, even the DT880, 990's sound very different to the DT770's

gregch said:
come to terms with the plasticyness of Grados,

Well they are more appealing NOW.

gregch said:
spend a stupid amount and go high-end Japanese,

STAX are worth a look if you have the money. There aren't many headphones which can offer the amount of detail, openness and speed that a pair of STAX electrostatics can. Granted you will have to spend a little more but hey, it's only money.

gregch said:
or be like everyone else and not care where stuff is made or what the implications of that might be... and probably get the P7s.

Don't do it, stick with your morals. As for the implications they have already started. China is getting too expensive to manufacture and it will all shift to the next low wage economy......probably India.

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
Resurrecting, with trepidation, my thread... has anyone tried the Aedle VK-1? They look absolutely stunning, and the reviews I could find are all very good. Seem similar in some ways to the B&W P7 and similar price point despite being made in France rather than China. Would like to try them though and not sure where that might be possible, in the meantime thought I'd ask if anyone here has tried them, and what did you think?

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
eggontoast said:
Sorry never tried them. You might want to consider these too as they are made in Austria.

Ah, thanks for the heads up on these - bizarrely, I had an email from Harman (AKG's owners) in November telling me that all AKG headphones were now made in China. I guess that isn't the case, since I see on the page you linked to that they're making a big deal of these headphones being made in Vienna. Interesting!

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
My new Harman Soho is made in China, and if I could make a bet (with proof on the other end) about how much of the high-end Harmans are actually made or assembled in Austria, I'd bet most of the cost is in Chinese parts and sub-assemblies, and the smaller amount spent assembling the product in Austria. I've been quite happy with a few Beyers "made in Germany" (to what extent I don't know), but I can also see where they cut corners.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts