Mac based system

rikstar

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I have an external HDD containing all my music in AIFF format. I use BitPerfect/Fidelia/Audirvana+ to play the tracks (I'm still evaluating their pros and cons). The Mac is connected via USB cable to a USB powered ObjectiveDAC (ODAC) revision B. This was connected by RCA phono cables to the 3.5mm input of a Naim Unitiqute 2 - itself attached to a NAP 100 power amp. KEF LS50s finish the chain off.

Doing some experimenting, I took the Unitiqute (as pre-amp) out of the system and ran the RCA phono cables from the ODAC straight into the power amp - a set up that I prefer sonically. You have to be careful with volume settings on computer and tablet (for remote control), because there's no amp volume control. All of which is a bit surprising, especially as the pre-amp is often cited as the best component to upgrade if you're looking for SQ improvement.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
rikstar said:
the pre-amp is often cited as the best component to upgrade if you're looking for SQ improvement.

That might have been a debatable argument decades ago when the pre-amp was a true 'step-up' amp for the power amp, but it hasn't been the case for 30+ years. CD players brought 2V outputs to the table which didn't need pre-amps and could feed the power amp direct.

Doing away with the preamp can improve things, as you've found. That's why improving it to one that is less obtrusive is desirable. But, as you've also discovered, it is also a control centre, and many would be nervous relying on a flaky computer (that is, anything computer-related!) for volume control. The day it switches on at maximum, you might wish you'd left the preamp in place!

In a very good system, a great preamp can match the impedance better, so sounds better than nothing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts