Luxman part of IAG?

matthewpiano

Just been looking at the website of IAG (International Audio Group) and noticed that they now list Luxman alongside their other brands (Audiolab, Quad, Mission, Wharfedale and Castle). When did this happen?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:Just been looking at the website of IAG (International Audio Group) and noticed that they now list Luxman alongside their other brands (Audiolab, Quad, Mission, Wharfedale and Castle).

When did this happen?

Obviously this year...

"Fully utilizing the partnership with IAG, this move will position Luxman to procure funds in a long-term
stable manner and to implement proactive marketing strategies in the global market. As a result, we will
strive further for the development, sales, and support of our audio products that materialize the hobby world
of devoted users in and after 2010, our 85th anniversary in business."

From...

http://www.iaguk.co.uk/luxman.php

(The webpage is also dated 2010 at the bottom.)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I don't know about the Luxman deal - we'd missed that one; will follow up - but IAG certainly seem to be investing in those brands, hiring some of the industry's most respected designers to work on the latest generation of products from Mission, AudioLab, Quad etc.

Incidentally, reviews of new Mission speaker range and Audiolab separates in next issue.

In meantime, have a watch of this, if you haven't already....

matthewpiano

Thanks Claire - I watched the Peter Comeau interview the other day. Very interesting indeed!

I certainly don't think IAG is a bad thing. I tend to think they might well have saved some of their brands from obscurity. Certainly none of them seemed to have suffered the same level of hi-fi oblivion as Celestion.

Will be interesting to read your thoughts on the new Mission and Audiolab kit in the next issue too!

T

the record spot

If they're hiring the likes of Peter Comeau to get a hold of their speaker developments, then that's no bad thing in my view. IAG might be "Big Hifi Corp" but they seem very keen on bringing back or maintaining some of the great names of the past (add Luxman to Quad and the resurgent Castle). If that means the original ethos of those companies comes with the deal, then great. Along with Armour Home (who also have a few brands under their hat), it seems like a decent time for the industry.

Does this bear out in practice Clare or have the individual brands lost out in their new corporate structures (doesn't seem like it from where I sit, though that is pretty far back admittedly!)?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
First a point of clarification - Armour Home is a distributor, not owner, of many of the brands it sells (eg NAD).

Secondly - and as ever with products from whichever company you deal wtih - it's been a mixed bag.

There have been star products within a range - such as the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s - but others that are merely average. But you could say the same about the B&W or Monitor Audio ranges - or indeed the IAG-owned brands before they moved to IAG!

But there's serious investment, certainly, and it's great to see landmark brands given a new lease of life.

T

the record spot

Clare Newsome:First a point of clarification - Armour Home is a distributor, not owner, of many of the brands it sells (eg NAD).

Woops! So it is! Apologies.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano: Certainly none of them seemed to have suffered the same level of hi-fi oblivion as Celestion.

Celestion is a diffferent kettle of fish due to the fact they make 'Iconic' guitar and pro loudspeakers. When they, along with KEF, were accquired by what is now called GP Acoustics they seemed to me to make a very logical decision. Celestion for pro-audio and KEF for HiFi/AV. KEF has always been on the domestic scene since the Raymond Cook days and Celestion has always produced quality pro drivers like the G12M Greenback. Maybe HiFi for Celestion was an unnecessary diversion?? I think GP have got it totally right and they don't seem to go accquiring brands just for the sake of it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts