Loyalty to a dealer - at what price??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I am going to upgrade soon and have been to my local dealer for a demo and decided what I want to buy. In my shopping about for what to get, I came across a couple of other dealers further away that sell the same kit and pretty decent prices have been offered.

Now I don't know precisely what my local dealer will sell to me for, yet - for the package - but I am conflicted about the idea of buying somewhere else, having bought via this dealer for 6+ years .......... BUT - if the price differential is considerable [which at this sort of price for high-end kit, only a small % would be a good saving] I can't decide at what point I switch allegiance to another dealer!!??

Has anyone else had this dilema? Is it a case of money wins hands down, or does the previous relationship with my dealer add up to a whole lot more than money alone ...... if yes .. then how much??

I guess dealers may be used to such realities !

Hmmm?!

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
If I have had a demo from my dealer, I have bought from them. Other items that I could have bought from them (Humax free sat pvr for example) I got online because they were much cheaper and I was happy to buy them demo free.

A

Anonymous

I would generally agree, but when the difference in discount between dealers could be upwards of £500 to £1000, my loyalty falters somewhat!!

A

Anonymous

get written quotes from the other dealers and ask your favourite dealer to match or better the quotes...

if your dealer is good, he will match ... at the end of the day, it's all the same equipment and 'every penny counts'

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Try asking for price matching. Apart from that I don't understand the reason for this topic. Can't anyone make their own grown up decisions on here? :eek:)

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Well, first of all, if you've been quoted good prices from the other dealers, then it would pay to tell your local dealer that and see if they can match the prices quoted. I'm sure they'll be keen to keep your business!

Then consider this. If something goes wrong with your kit, your local dealer (with whom you obviously have a good, long-standing relationship) is nearby to help fix it.

I've had a similar (non hi-fi) situation recently. My 3.5-year-old car broke down and as the warranty had expired, legally I was obliged to pay for the (potentially very expensive) repair. But as I have bought several cars from the same dealer over the years, and they accepted the mechanical failure should not have happened, they persuaded the manufacturer to pay for the repair.

That's where a long-term relationship with your dealer can pay dividends in the long run.

A

Anonymous

I wonder whether loyalty to a particular dealer is such a good idea? After all the Hi-Fi market is so volatile and if you can save youself £500-1000 then it is worth it, after all, if it is the difference between popping it back for a repair or courier to somewhere further away, it aint ever going to be a grand for a courier. Understand the conflict though of good service given on demo, it;'s really a matter for individual conscience, i do not think anyone on here can or should answer that one asides you.

A

Anonymous

Andy Clough:
Well, first of all, if you've been quoted good prices from the other dealers, then it would pay to tell your local dealer that and see if they can match the prices quoted. I'm sure they'll be keen to keep your business!

Then consider this. If something goes wrong with your kit, your local dealer (with whom you obviously have a good, long-standing relationship) is nearby to help fix it.

I've had a similar (non hi-fi) situation recently. My 3.5-year-old car broke down and as the warranty had expired, legally I was obliged to pay for the (potentially very expensive) repair. But as I have bought several cars from the same dealer over the years, and they accepted the mechanical failure should not have happened, they persuaded the manufacturer to pay for the repair.

That's where a long-term relationship with your dealer can pay dividends in the long run.

That dealer obviously wasn't mazda. I own 2 mazda cars (one's mine , one's my wife's). Her car had a light come on, on the dash. Took it to the main dealer, where I have bought one of the cars from and taken both cars back to since new for servicing every year. It needed a new part at a cost of £1600. It was out of warranty by 6 days, had only done 18000 miles and had only just been serviced there 4 weeks prior. They offered to pay 75% of the cost which I said was unacceptable. I was looking for at least 95%. They wouldn't budge so it will be the last time they see my cars and the last time I buy a mazda.

A

Anonymous

gpi - I find your tone a little pointless .....

IF that were the case then the majority of forums, on hi-fi or anything else would not exist. Coming to that, the majority of discussion between humans would not take place!!

It's something I am weighing up for myself ... and also like to get other input on - as many people do.

I won't trawl this site to confirm, but the fact that you are on here would indicate you have a desire to read or give opinions [oh, you already have done .....!!] - which really is what this is about.

thanks all the same.

A

Anonymous

Actually - I agree with the help thanks .....

I will clarify what my dealer will offer me and if it's not as good, then tell them what's been offered elsewhere and see what they can do.

Not sure why I was considering keeping it a secret before - doh !

I suppose I felt guilty pushing them on price, when they've been so good.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Service is what you are buying from your local dealer and how much they provide and how much you need should be factored into the price you pay.

We do not always price match, it depends on what the other company is offering and plenty of online sites offer nothing more than a price.

As with most things of this nature a quick converstaion should help you decide.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Its a business. Dealers are not here to do you favours and niether are you here to do favours for them. Obviously there is a point at which you may want to stay loyal, but if the differences are large then move on. Get a quote and ask him to price match. If he wont, walk away. This has the caveats that you are happy travelling to the other dealer and you think that they are reputable and trustworthy. Although whenever i have demoed before i have always tried to find the best price FIRST and then take the demo to stop wasting a companys time. However, again, the amounts involved are critical as a 20/30 min demo (thats all ive ever had) is not worth paying hundreds of pounds more for when you have found a cheaper deal elsewhere. The dealer should understand this.

A

Anonymous

I'll just second Nick's comments. I bought my TV from a pioneer dealer in Wokingham and the majority of the rest of my kit from Nick at the HCC. Nick did give me a very competitive price, but what the HCC also provided was excellent after sales service. In fact there were a couple of occasions where I had queries regarding the set-up of my TV. I left messages with the dealer I bought the TV from, but also with Nick (hoping as a favour he may help out). The pioneer main dealer never called back, but the HCC did, even though i hadn't bought the TV from them.

Nothing wrong in getting a price from other dealers. But give your local dealer a chance to match it/beat it/ or even just knock a bit off his price.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
gpi:Try asking for price matching. Apart from that I don't understand the reason for this topic. Can't anyone make their own grown up decisions on here? :eek:)

No not really. I'm off to vienna this afternoon, by all accounts its pretty cold out there now. Should i pack my thermal long johns or risk it getting milder. Thoughts ?.
emotion-4.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

I would go for the best deal that's what I did most people simply cant' afford not to.

If you do it that way know, be sure that you or someone is lined up to set the system up first.

A

Anonymous

floyd droid:
gpi:Try asking for price matching. Apart from that I don't understand the reason for this topic. Can't anyone make their own grown up decisions on here? :eek:)

No not really. I'm off to vienna this afternoon, by all accounts its pretty cold out there now. Should i pack my thermal long johns or risk it getting milder. Thoughts ?.
emotion-4.gif

I would pack trunks, sun tan lotion and a thick scarf.

Trahern

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
I always do my homework so I know the best price for the equipment I want and I will always ask my dealer to price match. They won't always do that, but they will always offer a discount. I have on many occasions then bought from the dealer, even though I am still paying more. Why? Well because it is unlikely that a small dealer will be able to match the cheapest internet site, the overheads are just very different and I want the dealer to be there tomorrow because of the service it provides.

I want to be able to demo the equipment. I want them to let me take the stuff home and try it. I want their advice freely given. I want the trust and co-operation that such a relationship engenders. 'You can't have your cake and eat it'.

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
It's an interesting topic and one that haunts most (if not all) dealers.

Is it unfair to expect a dem locally then go elsewhere to get a better price?

How many of you would be prepared to pay for a demonstration and have this amount refunded upon purchase?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Henley:It's an interesting topic and one that haunts most (if not all) dealers.

Is it unfair to expect a dem locally then go elsewhere to get a better price?

Yes, it's not just unfair, it's immoral and unethical, if you ask me.

How many of you would be prepared to pay for a demonstration and have this amount refunded upon purchase?

The only problem I'd have with that is if you genuinely didn't like any of the stuff that you'd demo'd (it could happen!), I'm already bad enough for buying things I didn't want, just because I felt like I was wasting the dealer's time, if I paid for a demo up front I'd almost feel duty bound to buy something, even if I didn't like it!

Maybe if it was refunded against the purchase or a dealer voucher given to the value of if the demo was unsuccessful I might think about, at least that way I'd know I could use the money spent to buy something, even if it wasn't what I'd been in there for (some kind of accessory or something, there's always something you'll find useful).

A

Anonymous

Surley, this is more to do with your consumer rights, agreed they were more helpful due to your long term relationship but (as I'm sure you know being in the industry) your rights well exceed any 1year warantee.

They could not have made a case to the manufacturer if the claim for the machanical fault was not resonable.

I had a complete engine replacement 3 years after the date of sale even as a second owner.

I repeat though, having the long term relationship obviously helped matters .

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
BigAir:
gpi - I find your tone a little pointless .....

IF that were the case then the majority of forums, on hi-fi or anything else would not exist. Coming to that, the majority of discussion between humans would not take place!!

It's something I am weighing up for myself ... and also like to get other input on - as many people do.

I won't trawl this site to confirm, but the fact that you are on here would indicate you have a desire to read or give opinions [oh, you already have done .....!!] - which really is what this is about.

thanks all the same.

~Opinions are fine but surely some decisions are obvious so the OP's motive for posting must lie elsewhere.

IMO it is morally very wrong to book an audition at a dealers, attend that audition and then make a decision on what to buy, only to then start looking elsewhere at cheaper prices. Do you enjoy wasting a dealer's time? "Oh thanks very much for arranging that for me but I've seen that component much cheaper at another dealers so I'll be buying it from there."

Just my opinion and the reason behind my tone. To me your decision is obvious so what other motive would you have? Bragging perhaps? It's not even high-end gear you are considering.

A

Anonymous

Henley:It's an interesting topic and one that haunts most (if not all) dealers. Is it unfair to expect a dem locally then go elsewhere to get a better price?How many of you would be prepared to pay for a demonstration and have this amount refunded upon purchase?

I agree that it's unfair to get a dem and then go elsewhere to get a better price ........ and at what point should you then discuss price? People are hardly likely to shop around for best price until they actually know what it is they want - which comes upon/after a demo!

I personally would not feel good about paying for a demo. I have been to several recently that left me highly underwhelmed - hearing some well reviewed kit that simply was not to my taste. How would people ever overcome the waste of money that would come from such circumstances?

Dealers are there with one aim - to sell their products [after all, they are running a business] and hopefully help customers achieve the sound they are looking for. So, knowing how subjective that end-result can be all they can do is stock stuff they think is worthy and believe to be good enough to sell.... then allow people to come in and hear it!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Speak to the dealer and see if they can get near. I couldn't have a demo and then buy elsewhere, but I can negotiate strongly especially when there is big money being spent. I'm sure there's some middle ground that will be mutually beneficial short term and very beneficial medium/long term.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Sorry about my course (coarse, even :eek:) tone BigAir but another opinion I have on this topic is because your usual dealer is very familiar to you, surely you would know his prices BEFORE arranging the demo. Or did you go in blindfolded, listen to the gear, make a purchasing decision and then say 'How much? Oh.'

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I wouldnt pay for s a demo. I had one experience where the dealer(s) just wanted to talk over the demo. So, its partly the experience you would be paying for, and that one was rubbish. I should have had the fortitude to tell them so, and to tell the manufacturer too (who i know are very particular about their stockists), but you live and learn, eh?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts