Looking to change from Rega for Naim?

Then this could be for you.

Took the rega Dac back and also had my Arcam in toe, just to make sure my hearing hasn't gone west.

The salesperson set up the Arcam + Rega Dac and had it connected to a Naim XS amp. Anyway he agreed pretty much with my findings about the DAC/Arcam transport. Then he said would you like to hear the Nait CD5i. At that point I said: "An all Naim system is a bit unfair in comparison, as IMO, Arcam doesn't work the best with Naim." He laughed and hooked up the 5i CDP. Have to say I was immensely impressed with the Nait CDP: It had more attack and punch than the Rega/Arcam combo, and it was more focused.

TBH can't really give a sonic figure: The Rega was a little better than the Arcam on its own power, but the Naim was a substantial step up.

He also asked whether I would like a home dem of TQ Blacks. I refused, of course, only because it's over a 30 miles round trip, and I said once the rest of my kit is upgraded I'll take him up on the offer.

To conclude: Based on my short dem of the Naim CDP, it's a very decent step up in SQ.

CnoEvil said:
That all sounds fruitful and shows why other people's opinions are no more than a guide and certainly not bullet-proof.

Indeed, Cno. However, if it aids anyone one way or tother it can only be a positive thing. I'm certainly not saying that Naim is better than Rega but, to my ears, the Naim CDP had a more balanced and composed presentation, with a little added bite than the Rega DAC.

How that would play out with the Leema, no idea... thought I'd pass on my brief findings.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Indeed, Cno. However, if it aids anyone one way or tother it can only be a positive thing. I'm certainly not saying that Naim is better than Rega but, to my ears, the Naim CDP had a more balanced and composed presentation, with a little added bite than the Rega DAC.

How that would play out with the Leema, no idea... thought I'd pass on my brief findings.

Zackly so.

It's definitely invaluable info that can help others draw up a shortlist and get a feel as to how they compare.

empacher

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

Zackly so.

It's definitely invaluable info that can help others draw up a shortlist and get a feel as to how they compare.

yes.

PP - what speakers were connected to the Naim XS? thanks

empacher said:
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

Zackly so.

yes.

PP - what speakers were connected to the Naim XS? thanks

B&W 805S.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts