Looking For Assistance/Feedback~Putting Together a Descent Audio Set-Up For 24/96 Music files?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

norsk

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
:) CnoEvil

Good morning

Really good to hea from you,I have long wished to enter the kingdom of linn/Naim e.t.c. but even though I now finally can afford to buy good audio equipment,i`m afraid Linn will never be on my menu,I have looked at there music streamers e.t.c. but i just could not afford it.It was the same with some of the lovely NAIM Unite gear smashing looking & sounding gear but can not see a way to afford it :cry:

but many thanks anyway

Cheers Steve :cheers:

norsk

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
:beer: BigBoss

Hi there

many thanks for your reply, and info on Raumfeld,good it can be purchased here in Norway.Not sure about it though..really need a lot more feedback as to how it compares with some of the leading stuff

Thank you anyway

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
richardw42 said:
:) Look what happened. Electrocompaniet has already been recommended. I've not ordered the OP to buy anything but put forward a suggestion. Which given his previous post re AVI was wholly justified. I hinted at the lack of inputs as the SM6 might need to cater for this. I'm sure the OP will investigate other options.

Careful richard, if you consort with the devil you must expect such reaction..... :twisted:

That said, it is only Al, don't take him too seriously.

As a matter of interest how did the new '5s stack up against your other speakers, what sort of setup did you use to drive them?

(If you whisper the answer, maybe no one will notice...... :silenced:)

i don't want to hijack the thread. A cable from the headphone socket of my iPhone into the RCAs of the DM5 playing standard MP3.

norsk

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
:) Hi Ben Law

Good to hear from you

Afraid I can not tell you where I got the tracks but they were not expensive.and sure its all down to the masters,but if you listen to HD tracks and normal cd there is a difference to me anyway.each to there own.

electrocompaniet!

I have checked up on the companies products and am getting the feeling they are not

at the top table anymore,from the reviews I have read and again I will say there stuff is expensive .I have no doubt
electrocompaniet! owners are very happy with there equipment I will look elsewhere.

all the best Steve :cheers:

norsk

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
:oops: Hello altruistic.lemon

Good Day

many thanks for your input,and you make a very valid point re the AVI gear which I must just add I have being intesely working on since last night am in touch with a great guy at the company.But you are right if something goes wrong I`m up the creak a bit so I have to factor that in.Electrokompaniet is out I have answered elswhere re this companies products,on the information received to date there are better products evn in Norway?

I do not wish to go down the pro audio route,again have being there and was not totally convinced by the Audioengine type speakers I owned the A5s always felt something lacking? i know they and other simialr speakers are well thought of though

norsk

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
:) richardw42

Good Morning Richard :rockout: :beer: :cheers:

Please accept my gratitude for your contribusion,it`s very much appreciated...I know what you intended and you are quite correct I was/am looking at both an Audio only & AV option? still to be decided so of course all and any suggestions are approriate

I am sure others who have contributed to this debate,must conceed that everyone expert and novice as a right to ther opinion and me as the origianal poster,as to disceminat all this information and try and make sense of it and decide weather to look at a particualr product or not,It does not mean I know better or poor cold water on fellow members feedback..

ELEKTROKOMPANIET is a good example.I know of this company I also know it was once thought very highly of,but from what I am reading I get the impression that there are better choices,now that could be balony and I could be wrong,but thats waht it1s all about taking decisions,making mistakes e.t.c.

I really am warming to the AVI ADM 9RS and I look forward very much to hearing more feedback also with regards to there sub woofer and AVI use e.t.c.

I like the look of of your set up Richard,is it easy to switch from AV to Audio only???

best wishes Steve :cheers:

norsk

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
:beer: Hi CraigM

Good to hear from you

I think I may have answered your comments re 24/96 on the wrong reply,no matter each to there own I truly beleive my files sound better that normal CD,Craig why do you think all these comapnies make a point of highlighting the fact that their products can play 24/96 or much higher,why do you think HD TRACKS sells HD Music I have owned super cds and they certainly sound better to me.but now all my music is in Files and do not wish to go back to a cd player unless by a remote chance I was to buy one of the all in one units which included cd player.it`s a difficult balancing act I am sure you will agree..which is never the case when it come to AUDIO matters everyone as ther own opinins and favourites it1s the nature of the beast

norsk

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Hi Richard

Am slowly getting through my replies

Do you need more inputs than are offered by the Streammagic ? If not AVI are about to introduce a new active speaker called the DM5 I had a demo of them last week in my home, and they were brilliant. The uk price is £699 for the pair.

I am not sure Richard ? can you help and what about AVI new active speaker the DM5 how does this compare to the ADM9RS

just trying very hard to get a feel for all this,as I am sure you will understand.

am very excited by all this,I just noticed you had the AVI SUB how good is it????

I think if you told me your set up was stella I would go for it.

If you could tell me if it is possible to switch between AUDIO & AV i would be very obliged .likewise any info on other complimentary items appreciated

all the very best Steve :cheers:

norsk

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
:wave: Hi Tarxman

I also
smiley-smile.gif
++
bluebrazil wrote:
i would avoid the floor standers in a small room. check the other concept 20 threads to see if anybody is using them in a room near your size.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
norsk said:
:) CnoEvil

Good morning

Really good to hea from you,I have long wished to enter the kingdom of linn/Naim e.t.c. but even though I now finally can afford to buy good audio equipment,i`m afraid Linn will never be on my menu,I have looked at there music streamers e.t.c. but i just could not afford it.It was the same with some of the lovely NAIM Unite gear smashing looking & sounding gear but can not see a way to afford it :cry:

but many thanks anyway

Steve, thank you for your curtious reply.

The Linn Sneaky DSM costs £1750 here and does most of what the Majik does....and sounds remarkably good with the Kef R Series: http://www.linn.co.uk/all-products/network-music-players/sneaky-dsm

and http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Sneaky_DSM

norsk

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
:cheers: :cheers: CnoEvil

Really good to hear back from you,I am very aware how easy it is to offend,misunderstand,annoy folk on forums... from my own not to pleasant experiences,add to this, the fact I am to sensitive ..just the way i am,so i try as best I can to keep things on an even keel.

Think I answered another reply re LINN? but I said Linn maight be a touch to expensive for me?

I am sort of warming to the AVI approach,It would be great to hear from anyone who could give a view on how the AVIs would compare to some of the other sytems being suggested to me.

I do find it difficult to imagine that the AVI would beat some of the better Black boxes,but I am here to be convinced of the competeing merits

all the best Steve :dance:

norsk

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Electro :quest:

These are the kind of replies that annoy me? what is it you want to say..say it don`t make cryptic remarks

If you have something to say say it please tell me what it was that you did not agree with

Cheers Steve :shame:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
norsk said:
:cheers: :cheers: CnoEvil

Really good to hear back from you,I am very aware how easy it is to offend,misunderstand,annoy folk on forums... from my own not to pleasant experiences,add to this, the fact I am to sensitive ..just the way i am,so i try as best I can to keep things on an even keel.

Think I answered another reply re LINN? but I said Linn maight be a touch to expensive for me?

I am sort of warming to the AVI approach,It would be great to hear from anyone who could give a view on how the AVIs would compare to some of the other sytems being suggested to me.

I do find it difficult to imagine that the AVI would beat some of the better Black boxes,but I am here to be convinced of the competeing merits

all the best Steve :dance:

I'm sure you will have a very happy marriage with some AVIs.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
norsk said:
Electro :quest:

These are the kind of replies that annoy me? what is it you want to say..say it don`t make cryptic remarks

If you have something to say say it please tell me what it was that you did not agree with

Cheers Steve :shame:

To be honest I never get involved in any threads where the letters AVI appear and I seem to have stumbled into this one by accident or lack of attention .

I apologise if you are a genuine poster from Norway looking for sensible advice but the same pattern seems to be emerging on this thread as has happened so many times before and always leads to much mud slinging and name calling .

Once again I apologise if you are genuine and it may be worth your while looking at products from Hegel .

http://www.hegel.com/

norsk

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
:grin: hello again

Am i missing something? please explain a little more,as I do not wish to end up in anything? I just came on this site to ask for advice/feedback on suitable Av/Audio products

What is the problem with AVI I really am at a loss..I have noticed elsewhere that the debate over the AVIs is heated.

I am also cooling on them a little as I am buying blind from UK as was already pointed out in an earlier reply.

also I am in touch with Ashley at AVI..and I was a little taken a back when he said they do not deduct UK VAT from the price (Norway not in EU) so we still pay very high import Tax/Vat 35% including collection fees >) He told me they use the VAT eliment to offset delivery charges..I would much prefer up front charges.....bottom line is, an already expensive system IE AVI will be even more expensive by the time I get them and all with no audition..so even I am in more than two minds about them now..and may well revert to all -in-one system or go witthe seperates I mentioned earlier.

am aware of Hegel.

all the best my friend

Regards Steve :cheers:

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't sound right to me, not to mention borderline legal. So if I bought some AVIs when in Oz I.d be charged UK VAT plus some shipping costs plus custom's charges levelled on the cost inc VAT plus GST levied on that too?

Methinks AVI are playing games!

John Duncan

norsk said:
also I am in touch with Ashley at AVI..and I was a little taken a back when he said they do not deduct UK VAT from the price (Norway not in EU) so we still pay very high import Tax/Vat 35% including collection fees >) He told me they use the VAT eliment to offset delivery charges

Oh really.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
norsk said:
also I am in touch with Ashley at AVI..and I was a little taken a back when he said they do not deduct UK VAT from the price (Norway not in EU) so we still pay very high import Tax/Vat 35% including collection fees >) He told me they use the VAT eliment to offset delivery charges.

So if you're out when they try to deliver, do you get a card through the door from HMRC?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi Norsk

As you can see from my sig I have a TV system with a pair of AVI ADM40. Everything is connected via hdmi to the TV, then an optical cable to the speakers. The Sonos goes straight to the speakers.
I have used the adm9 the same way. Routing everything through an AV RECEIVER and connected to the speakers via RCA.
The 9s now reside in the lounge with the matching sub. I've had other subs but this is my best yet. Its the cherry on the cake.
My current set up(s) are the best I've owned. As mentioned ive also heard the new DM5, which were great.

I sympathise with your reticence on buying the AVI systems. I'm lucky I live 30 minutes from the factory so a demo was easy to arrange.

Good luck with whatever you decide, the important thing is you are happy with your choice, but its not easy, is it ?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Ashley and Arthur Daley have a lot in common.

But surely Arthur Daley was basically a used car salesman with a staff of one, who compared himself with the business greats but actually operated out of a dodgy lock-up, and –

Ah, I see what you mean.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
AVI cannot use the VAT to cover delivery. If they charge it they have to give it to HMRC. I do agree charging ex VAT seems logical.
I assume some sort of VAT sticker would be on the box to indicate its collection ?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
richardw42 said:
AVI cannot use the VAT to cover delivery. If they charge it they have to give it to HMRC.

But then Ashley probably disagrees with how his taxes are being spent (for example on those left-wing idiots at the BBC), so I guess that makes it OK, at least to his 'rebel without a clue' way of thinking.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts