Looking For Assistance/Feedback~Putting Together a Descent Audio Set-Up For 24/96 Music files?

norsk

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
:help: Hello everyone,

I actually have another thread going under Home Cinema? but I am very undecided weather to go with a Home cinema set up or put the cash in to better Audio products,Choices,choices... :quest:

I will outline my room & budget and a few Product Winners & see what happens?

I live in Norway,so am sort of limited to a very limited choice of Audio Equipment! also not possible to audtion very much,otherwise eveything is just great :dance:

I keep reading good stuff about the
Q Acoustics 2050i Floorstanding Speakers
& The

Q Acoustics-Concept 20 Speakers with Stands

and the following amp as received some very good reviews
Rega Brio - R ~ Amplifier 50 watts Per.C
Now most of my music is held on external hard drive and is 24/96 so i am looking for something which can handle these

not sure i wish to revert to cds though?

If someone could please take a look and offer an opinion I would be very gratfull.

My room is small 2mtrs x 3.3. mtrs almost a cellar as two walls are built against solid rock.the floor is laminate on concrete

two small windows at top of one wall,

I have being looking at the many Music servers and must admit i`m some what lost so feedback in this area would be a great help to me,also should I require anything else please feel free to suggest?

I have just purchased a Sony Xperia Z tablet 4g which would be superb if I could use it some way withe set up

*Budget MAX £2,800 + I will buy headphones and cable upgrades in time.

Many thanks in advance

Regards Steve :cheers:

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
It's debatable whether 24/96 files sound any better than normal CD resolution. But since you've specified 24/96 as a requirement, I'd suggest you look at the Raumfeld music streamers, which start at around £180 and are capable of streaming 24/96 files.

You'd need a hard disk/PC to store the files on, plus a DAC, and obviously amp and speakers.

Good luck!

Matt

norsk

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
:cheers: :beer: Hi Matt,

Really good to hear from you,

Must disagree re the CD V 24/96 in my oipinion the music files have the edge,but as we both know everyone hears differently.

not only that it makes sence for me as 98% of my music are 24/96 cds long gone.I do like SACD and similar which to me sound as good as my files,but I am not wishing to go back to CD players.

I will look at the Raumfeld but doubt it is available here in Norway? but you never know

all the best Steve :cheers:

norsk

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
:beer: Hello

Not sure any of your suggestions are readily available in Norway?

You must understand that Norway is not like the UK /US it`s a small country and many companies find it difficult in the Norwegain market and many do not even try the taxes are crippling especially for companies wishing to sell there products in to Norway.

I am not an economist and I do not pretend to understand how it all works :quest:

I may have to pay a visit to UK?? and maybe bring something back? but it`s a long shot.

speakers we have Tannoy,Qacoustics (my current favourites) some B&W

so may just have to go with what there is available,no use pining after the choices in the UK

If you or anyone could give me some feedback on the Qacoustics speakers that would be a start as I know I can get these

importing is a complete no,no as shipping is high and import TAX/VAT is also very high.

norsk

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
:cheers: Hello Blue Brazil,

Many thanks for your suggestion and it could be possible

I was looking at the CAMBRIDGE MAGIC 6 streamer? to.

I really need to know which of the QAcoustics is the better for a small room like the one I plan to use? 2mtr x 3.3.mtr

How does the Marantz Streamer compare to the Cambridge magic ?

and would the REGA Brio-R be a good match for the above?

Please keep the help coming

many thanks again

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

You've got one of the best Companys in your own Country...

http://www.electrocompaniet.com/products/

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

norsk

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
:) Hello Macspur,

many thanks for your reply, much appreciated,

You are correct Electrocompaniet is based in Norway but it offers non of the affordable items I seek, only top end gear which is all very nice e.t.c.

It is Hi Fi shops which are lacking and mainstream products,sure there are plenty of top notch audiophile offerings ...

all the best steve :cheers:

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
You might like to look into the AVI active speakers that are popular within Scandinavia.
They do the AVI ADM 9RS which provides - speakers, dac, pre and power amps, remote control and cabling; £1250 delivered I believe, could be £1375, you would have to check with AVI.
Just add something like Apple TV or Express/ WD Media player and play your tunes from your computer or mobile device. And/Or get a cd player or bluray player to play your discs. You will have plenty of money left over to get those headphones and you won't have to worry about cables or what works with what.
Good luck.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
norsk said:
:) Hello Macspur,

many thanks for your reply, much appreciated,

You are correct Electrocompaniet is based in Norway but it offers non of the affordable items I seek, only top end gear which is all very nice e.t.c.

It is Hi Fi shops which are lacking and mainstream products,sure there are plenty of top notch audiophile offerings ...

all the best steve :cheers:

Steve,

True what you say, but it still might be worth checking for ex display/used Electrocompaniet amps.

Certainly here in the UK, one often sees amps at reasonable prices.

Mac

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
i would avoid the floor standers in a small room. check the other concept 20 threads to see if anybody is using them in a room near your size.

i think theres a thread with a marantz all in one and cocept 20's which would suit and leave you plenty of spare cash.

the active speaker route is also worth investigating further, you can often find suitable ones to try in pro audio shops, negating the need for a hifi dealership.

the avis have a lot going for them and good user reviews but i havent heard any yet, could be right up your street tho.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
relocated said:
You might like to look into the AVI active speakers that are popular within Scandinavia.

Seems like a bit of a daft suggestion when the OP wants a system for 24/96 and almost everyone with those speakers says they can't hear any difference beyond 128kbps MP3

relocated said:
Just add something like Apple TV

Which only goes up to 48kHz

relocated said:
Good luck.

With advice that bad he's going to need it. :rofl:

norsk

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
:wave: spiny norman

Am I glad I have got you in my corner...Many thanks for your interjection (can`t touch you for it :grin: )

Yep I am likely to be heading up a ul de sac if i`m not careful,I really appreciate all feedback after all I did ask for it.

relocated

Many thanks for your most helpful reply..I really do appreciate it. I was intrigued by these not heard of before AVI ADM 9RS?

do they have a web site? because I could find a lot of heated debate on them..but no web page..if you could direct me.much obliged.---->

*Hold the Front Page Found it.....I must bow low to you Relocated they are one mighty Speaker system :dance: I once owned the Audioengine A5s played through external DAC & Power supply in between my dell laptop and I was dissapointed as I felt it never reached the heights I looked for,but having read a few threads now and read the web site I am very impressed

Now I am moving from laptop to my new Xperia z tablet (NO APPLE FOR ME!) should I invest in one of these misic do it all streamers some advcie here welcome,This of course is if I decide to go down the
AVI ADM 9RS? route?

I know a lot of folk say they can not hear the difference in 24/96 music files,well I certainly can you just listen to dire straits on normal non SACD! and then listen to Dire straits on 24/96 magic..To my ears at least.

I can get hold of QACOUSTICS/B&W/TANNOY and one or two others,in the speaker line

I like the sound/review of the CAMBRIDGE MAGIC 6 music streamer which seems to offer you everything in one really good package and again i can get that here.

Likewise the well reviwed REGA BRIO R AMP sounds good and yep you guessed it I can get that here.

Now with all the above I would like to know if anyone as thoughts as to compatibility of the above products

No disrepect to anyone but Elektrokompaniet is out, no cheap options there here in Norway,I did check out some reviews and none of them were over enthusiastic and said basically there is better out there?

bluebrazil

I am still looking for Marantz option so it`s still an option,how does the Marantz stack up against the Cambridge anyone know?

i think theres a thread with a marantz all in one and cocept 20's which would suit and leave you plenty of spare cash.

I like this idea of yours bluebrazil
smiley-cool.gif
what is AVIS if you don`t mind me asking?Must find that Marantz thread you mension?

Please keep this quality information flowing

many thanks to everyone

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
norsk said:
No disrepect to anyone but Elektrokompaniet is out, no cheap options there here in Norway,I did check out some reviews and none of them were over enthusiastic and said basically there is better out there?

TRAITOR ! :shame: :p ;) :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My advice is to try a Majik DSM and some R100s (or bigger if you can afford).

The Linn is a very versatile bit of kit which has all manner of digital and analogue connections into it, including HDMI. It can stream all current resolutions up to 24/192.

At a later date it can be incorporated into a HT system: http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Majik_DSM and http://www.linn.co.uk/all-products/network-music-players/majik-dsm

This also can be got in Norway (type in Norway): http://www.linn.co.uk/find-a-shop

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Do you need more inputs than are offered by the Streammagic ? If not AVI are about to introduce a new active speaker called the DM5 I had a demo of them last week in my home, and they were brilliant. The uk price is £699 for the pair.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Once again, inappropriate advice! No local Avi dealer, if they go wrong you'll have to send them back to base and pay for the privilege, plus you can't audition them or compare to others so it is buying on a prayer.

The DM5s are essentially similar, and in some cases more restricted than, every other active speaker, so you'd be better off going to your pro audio shop and have a listen to Genelec, Adam Audio or Dynaudio.

By the way, I thought Electrocompaniet were a company local to you so why not try their gear?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
:) Look what happened.
Electrocompaniet has already been recommended.

I've not ordered the OP to buy anything but put forward a suggestion. Which given his previous post re AVI was wholly justified.

I hinted at the lack of inputs as the SM6 might need to cater for this.

I'm sure the OP will investigate other options.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
richardw42 said:
:) Look what happened. Electrocompaniet has already been recommended. I've not ordered the OP to buy anything but put forward a suggestion. Which given his previous post re AVI was wholly justified. I hinted at the lack of inputs as the SM6 might need to cater for this. I'm sure the OP will investigate other options.

Careful richard, if you consort with the devil you must expect such reaction..... :twisted:

That said, it is only Al, don't take him too seriously.

As a matter of interest how did the new '5s stack up against your other speakers, what sort of setup did you use to drive them?

(If you whisper the answer, maybe no one will notice...... :silenced:)

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
norsk said:
Must disagree re the CD V 24/96 in my oipinion the music files have the edge,but as we both know everyone hears differently.

Any difference you hear is likely down to it being a different master, whenever I've downsampled 24/96 to 16/44 I can't hear the difference. Comparing a cd to a 24/96 file is usually a case of also comparing 2 different masters, which is bound to sound different. I wouldn't choose a system purely on whether it could play 24/96.

If the ADM9rs is within budget, that's what I would buy. The older ADM9T version bettered my £7k Chord and ATC system, the newer ones are even better.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
norsk said:
:cheers: :beer: Hi Matt,

Really good to hear from you,

not only that it makes sence for me as 98% of my music are 24/96 cds long gone.I do like SACD and similar which to me sound as good as my files,but I am not wishing to go back to CD players.

I will look at the Raumfeld but doubt it is available here in Norway? but you never know

98%! Where do you source the tracks from and how many do you have? Aren't they expensive? If you'd been buying second hand CDs you might have had enough left in the bank to buy electrocompaniet! ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts