Looking for amp to go with Triangle Borea Br08

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
If you are playing music through the TV then I suggest the quality of is outputting is mediocre, it's an odd source, call me old fashioned if you will, is that your only source?Those speakers need more running in anyway and it treble is a bit harsh then toe them out a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodd

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Ok so i went with the Audiolab 6000a for now. Speakers took longer than expected to be delivered because they were out of stock and had to come in from France.

I've been listening to this speaker/amp combo for maybe 15 hours total now, spread over 6-7 days.

My small review:

It sounds good, BUT only if the recording is good. If you listen to everyday music then 90+% of the recordings are just average-bad. And on the triangle's they sound like you're playing them on a kitchen radio. Flat'ish. Nothing special. It lacks life or depth or "courage" if you know what i mean..

BUT, if you play a (very) good recording like Dave Grusin "Discovered Again" album then it sounds like the man himself is performing in your own living room.

But then there is another problem... My ears start to hurt/feel fatigued/feel pressure when i listen too long to (especially) high quality sound music... I don't know, maybe too much treble? It doesn't sound like it's TOO much... but i can't listen for more than 30-45 min. without taking a break.

I connected the amp to the speakers and via optical cable the amp is connected to the smart tv where i have the tidal app and play the music from.

Am i doing something wrong? Again, speakers sound great, but only if the source is great, otherwise they are definately NOT better than the cheap audio pro a36's i had before this. The audio pro's actually sounded BETTER on low-mid volumes and on not so great recordings too.

And here is another funny thing.... The Harman Kardon Go+Play 2 sounds better too in the same way the A36 does. That's a bluetooth speaker costing about €220 when i bought it years ago. Although it's definately worth more imo.

Well, just in case i don't get any more replies, i hope this was at least of some help to anyone reading this who's in my situation.

Welcome to the (sometimes) ungratifying and expensive hobby of Hifi.

If you think (and why not) that a 200 quid BT speaker sounds better than 1.5 grand of hifi ... stay there.

Save your sanity and money.

BUT, we all like different things. So just because reviews praise your Triangles (or I like the Audiolab) doesn't mean you will.

You'll find 'your sound'

Bodd

Dec 20, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to the (sometimes) ungratifying and expensive hobby of Hifi.

If you think (and why not) that a 200 quid BT speaker sounds better than 1.5 grand of hifi ... stay there.

Save your sanity and money.

BUT, we all like different things. So just because reviews praise your Triangles (or I like the Audiolab) doesn't mean you will.

You'll find 'your sound'

Oh trust me, on good recordings they sound better than any speaker i've ever heard. It's really a "wow" effect. But on lesser recordings (most of the "mainstream" music) the sound quality is just nothing special. It doesn't sound hi-fi that way. But maybe i indeed have to break them in more and play via a better source.

That ear fatigue though... Going to try to fix that problem asap,

Tinman1952

Oh trust me, on good recordings they sound better than any speaker i've ever heard. It's really a "wow" effect. But on lesser recordings (most of the "mainstream" music) the sound quality is just nothing special. It doesn't sound hi-fi that way. But maybe i indeed have to break them in more and play via a better source.

That ear fatigue though... Going to try to fix that problem asap,
If all else fails....

Bodd

Dec 20, 2021
Visit site
If you are playing music through the TV then I suggest the quality of is outputting is mediocre, it's an odd source, call me old fashioned if you will, is that your only source?Those speakers need more running in anyway and it treble is a bit harsh then toe them out a bit.

Yes, i tried bluetooth (aptx hd) too but i preferred via optical.

Still not sure which second amp to try as the holidays were so busy i had little time to find one. But i'll do additional research on the ones mentioned here and order 1 soon(one that's available to buy in the Netherlands ofc). One that has a treble adjustment control preferably, via app or physical. Maybe with streaming function included, or i'd have to get a seperate streaming device which wouldn't be ideal for the setup but will do it if necessary.

If the ear pain goes away i'm content enough.

Thanks i'll try your tip later when i come home.

robdmarsh

Your findings so far are quite bizarre! 90% of tracks sound average/ bad .... on the Triangle bro 8 sounds like the kitchen radio ..... on a good recording sounds like the singer is in the room ..... how can you be getting such inconsistent performance?

If you've got a well-balanced system with good synergy 90% or recordings should sound very good to amazing! Something is not right and I don't think any amount of speaker burn-in is going to change reverse that ratio. It sounds to me like Audiolab with the Triangles is not a good marriage!

robdmarsh

Btw, if you go with Denon, go for the pma 800ne, I think it'll be quite a lot better than the 600ne. The 800ne has source direct, analogue only switch, and physical tone controls if you need them, so plenty of scope to tweak the sound. For me though, source direct and analogue only selected has produced wonderful results.

Bodd

Dec 20, 2021
Visit site
Thanks Rob. Will look into it.

I left the speaker on for a long time, since yesterday, and when i came home a short while ago it seemed to sound better. Don't know if this is placebo or not... But i'll take it, lol! Placing the speaker further away from the wall gave an improvement too.

I'm having fun with tweaking and trying things to make the sound better. It's a bit similar to pc building, always tweaking and trying to get the most performance out of your system. And yes, that's an expensive hobby too!

Next step is 1 or 2 new amps to try and a streaming function. I'll place the review and comparisons here once it's all done, if you guys don't mind ofcourse. Thought i could help others with it or simply it's fun to know for others maybe. If the Audiolab will sound better than the others, then ofcourse i'll keep that one.

Right now i'm leaning towards denon 800ne and the bluesound Powernode. With denon i'd need a streamer. Tinman's suggestion i'll keep in mind too.

I've contacted some shops and made a deal with them. I'm going to try all the tips mentioned here. We'll get there!

Thanks and you'll hear from me soon with the comparisons and outcomes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tinman1952

Tinman1952

Thanks Rob. Will look into it.

I left the speaker on for a long time, since yesterday, and when i came home a short while ago it seemed to sound better. Don't know if this is placebo or not... But i'll take it, lol! Placing the speaker further away from the wall gave an improvement too.

I'm having fun with tweaking and trying things to make the sound better. It's a bit similar to pc building, always tweaking and trying to get the most performance out of your system. And yes, that's an expensive hobby too!

Next step is 1 or 2 new amps to try and a streaming function. I'll place the review and comparisons here once it's all done, if you guys don't mind ofcourse. Thought i could help others with it or simply it's fun to know for others maybe. If the Audiolab will sound better than the others, then ofcourse i'll keep that one.

Right now i'm leaning towards denon 800ne and the bluesound Powernode. With denon i'd need a streamer. Tinman's suggestion i'll keep in mind too.

I've contacted some shops and made a deal with them. I'm going to try all the tips mentioned here. We'll get there!

Thanks and you'll hear from me soon with the comparisons and outcomes.
Please keep us updated...😁👍

Reactions: Al ears and Bodd

robdmarsh

It will be interesting to see if you like the Denon. One thing I would say is give it a chance - I didn't think it sounded great out of the box. Disable the auto shut down and leave it in standby over night. It sounds great with my little Triangle speakers but I think it should drive yours fine too.

Bodd

Dec 20, 2021
Visit site
It will be interesting to see if you like the Denon. One thing I would say is give it a chance - I didn't think it sounded great out of the box. Disable the auto shut down and leave it in standby over night. It sounds great with my little Triangle speakers but I think it should drive yours fine too.

Alrighty will do. (y)

D

Deleted member 108165

I think you mean disable the auto standby function and leave it on... don't you?

Bodd

Dec 20, 2021
Visit site

You were right. I went back to BT aptx and made sure all quality settings were maxed, and the sound is much better now. Increasing volume on phone seemed to help too for some reason. Still not worth the normal price of 1800+ for the whole system YET, but getting closer and closer. Big improvement over optical though. And i guess a streamer will give even more improvement.

I'll report back once i get the other amps and have tested them.

Cheers

Last edited:

rainsoothe

Why would you go with amplification that's half the price? Even less, if you take the digital circuitry and all the other functionality into account?

I'd seriously pair those with an Electrocompaniet, tbh, but it's probably way over budget, so maybe look into a sh Arcam FMJ A39 or A29, or a sh Naim Unitiqute 2. Or a first gen Naim Nait XS.

Why would you go with amplification that's half the price? Even less, if you take the digital circuitry and all the other functionality into account?

I'd seriously pair those with an Electrocompaniet, tbh, but it's probably way over budget, so maybe look into a sh Arcam FMJ A39 or A29, or a sh Naim Unitiqute 2. Or a first gen Naim Nait XS.
probably because.....
"budget is max €1000 but preferably around €500 or less if possible."?

robdmarsh

To the OP, did you try a different amp?
As for a source, I'm going to recommend the ifi Zen blue. This little box of tricks never ceases to amaze me. I've just got a Bluesound Node 2021 and so far I prefer the sound of the Zen blue. "Yes, but it's not real hi-res!" I can them say, but there is plenty enough detail in the sound for my ears and the sound is very rounded and likable. I just think it's wonderfully designed to do its job and that one job is to extract the best possible quality out of a bluetooth signal.

Bodd

Dec 20, 2021
Visit site
To the OP, did you try a different amp?
As for a source, I'm going to recommend the ifi Zen blue. This little box of tricks never ceases to amaze me. I've just got a Bluesound Node 2021 and so far I prefer the sound of the Zen blue. "Yes, but it's not real hi-res!" I can them say, but there is plenty enough detail in the sound for my ears and the sound is very rounded and likable. I just think it's wonderfully designed to do its job and that one job is to extract the best possible quality out of a bluetooth signal.

Hello mate,

The first amp is to arrive tommorow, it's the bluesound powernode 2021. I'm going to test the node vs the audiolab straight away and see how/if they differ. Hopefully it gets delivered a bit early so that i can crank them up. Going to try BT vs BT and BT vs node's wifi streaming.

Next up should still be the 800ne but i decided to do one at a time. The winner between node vs audiolab will then go against the 800ne (+ a source), perhaps the one you mentioned (zen). So you think that's a good alternative for a streamer? It sure is cheap, which is good.

I'll keep performance to price ratio in mind too when comparing all.

Last edited:

Bodd

Dec 20, 2021
Visit site

Thank you. I'll keep it in mind in case i don't find a winner between the 3 that i'll be comparing.

robdmarsh

The first amp is to arrive tommorow, it's the bluesound powernode 2021. I'm going to test the node vs the audiolab straight away and see how/if they differ.
I'm sure they'll differ. The powernode is class D and the Audiolab is AB. I had the Audiolab for a bit and didn't like it. And as I've just said here I recently bought the Node 2021 and I stand by what I said above. I don't think the extra detail on offer makes up for what I feel is a rather anaemic sound, especially with vocals. And then if you use the Node as a streamer transport and connect it to another DAC you're getting into quite a lot of money and a growing box count.
I'm not saying that the ifi Zen blue is the last word in sound quality. What I am saying is that this is a product that is superbly well conceived and designed, and with a good amplifier, interconnects and well-chosen speakers can deliver a performance which is going to satisfy many with a discerning ear but who are not willing to just throw money at the latest and greatest. Yes, it's only bluetooth... you're not getting proper uncompromised hi-res... blah, blah.
I think I have pretty good ears and listening to the Zen blue side by side against the Node on another input I can hear slightly more detail, but as soon as you put on the Zen blue and relax into its warming envelope of sound, which in no way makes you stop and check yourself and say "but where's the high hat, and those chimes I love so much at 1 minute and 34 seconds?", you cease to care.
I would say hold off from listening to those who say you've got to spend X and Y thousand to get the sound that you are after.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts