Looking for a good subwoofer

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Both Nissan Micra with 1.0 litre engine and Mercedes E class with 2.0 litre engine can do 70mph. Which one would you prefer to drive on the motorway?

It's more like comparing a Golf 1.6TDi with a Golf 2.0 TDi. *wink*

Samd

ellisdj said:
I have had a loved a BK and now I own SVS I would buy the SVS for movies - I squeezed serious performance out of a BK XLS400 - I had it showing up subs in the thousands of pounds range because of how it was setup - but its got its limits.

the SVS is designed differently - they can manipulste the power to the driver to give it the freq response extension - freq extension eats up your power so lower power is not good.

BK use a Linkwitz filter to boost the sub but if you put the sub in a field and test it the extension would be dire - look at the 2m ground plane for the Sb2000 - its extending to about 40hz with no room gain - add some room gain you might get some useable 30hz bass out if it which is happy days,

But if the BK looka nicer to you its still a good sub and can give you a really good film experience.

your most obtuse post to date

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Samd said:
ellisdj said:
I have had a loved a BK and now I own SVS I would buy the SVS for movies - I squeezed serious performance out of a BK XLS400 - I had it showing up subs in the thousands of pounds range because of how it was setup - but its got its limits.

the SVS is designed differently - they can manipulste the power to the driver to give it the freq response extension - freq extension eats up your power so lower power is not good.

BK use a Linkwitz filter to boost the sub but if you put the sub in a field and test it the extension would be dire - look at the 2m ground plane for the Sb2000 - its extending to about 40hz with no room gain - add some room gain you might get some useable 30hz bass out if it which is happy days,

But if the BK looka nicer to you its still a good sub and can give you a really good film experience.

it wasnt intended to be - why do you think that?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
now the SVS sub has 500wtts but a lot more money then both BK subs its a hard choice now would i use all of the 500wtts on the SVS sub ?
Both Nissan Micra with 1.0 litre engine and Mercedes E class with 2.0 litre engine can do 70mph. Which one would you prefer to drive on the motorway?
the Mercedes any day but I drive a Ford Focus eco 125 with a turbo so I get 1.6 power *smile* anyway I no what you mean I've spoken to David and will order the SVS on Monday

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Maybe I didnt explain what I meant correctly.
If you put a speaker driver in a small sealed box it will roll off aggressively in its basd freq and give you very limited frequency extension at 0db
How do sub companies overcome this limitation - in different ways.
BK use a linkwitz filter I am pretty sure to apply some low freq boost to the sub so it can produce deeper bass from the small sealed box.

SVS do it via their digital amplifiers - they can manipulate the output at the lower frequencies to get the sub to output more lower frequencies.

The test is put them in a field and measure them nearfield and see which works best.

There was some tests done on the xls400 I did look for them but couldn't find them but I am pretty sure from memory it rolled off quite steeply. That is what I am basing my comments on. Sorry if that came across wrong.

KK did it with 2 small speakers in an odd configuration - he managed to do it with less power but much more cone area.

Samd

ellisdj said:
Samd said:
ellisdj said:

Para 3 - the only bit I understood was 'happy days' *i-m_so_happy*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Samd said:
ellisdj said:
Samd said:
ellisdj said:

Para 3 - the only bit I understood was 'happy days' *i-m_so_happy*

Sorry dude

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
now the SVS sub has 500wtts but a lot more money then both BK subs its a hard choice now would i use all of the 500wtts on the SVS sub ?
My AMG CLK63 - its 475 ponies make F350 duallies trying to mate with my rear bumper just specks in the mirror :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Well it arrived safely thanks David

ive roughly set the sub up currently theses are the settings I've made and sure if something is wrong in how I set it up someone will put me right it sounds ok anyway here goes... I have one phono connected on the LFE on the subwoofer and input 1 on the Yamaha

volume control set at 12 o'clock

Phase Control set at 0

Low Pass Filter set to LFE

Av end all speakers set to 80hz

ive measured the distance from where I sit and did a SPL measurement for rough 75db

right I currently have a free sat Humax sat box and not sure if this is the issue but channels like BBC use Dolby pro- logic if that is still used the sub works on channels like this but if I go to a different channal the sub does not detect a bass signal so goes into standby is this normal for free sat boxes or is it that some channels are in stereo ?

Watched a couple of films but only testing ... terminator 2 , trainsformars , I've got to say one thing now what a hell of a sub out of the box it sounds very good and it's very powerful as I was mucking around with the sub volume and took it past to max and there is a that bit in terminator 2 when the T1000 and Arnold meet after the games arcade when Arnold fires his shotgun it felt like he had shot me you could say I felt it and so did my wife as she nearly chocked on her Cuper tea . I had to turn it down but it's amazing how powerful this little sub is it's unbelievable .

i can't tell the sub from the rest of the fronts so I take it that's a good thing ? But basically if there is anything I've not done please let me know *smile*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts