Looking for a good subwoofer

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Give the man a Yamaha t-shirt to help him ease through the trauma.  
*lol* i will not bother emailing them wast of time i will spend my money somewhere else in future
If I were you, I would email John Clayton. He's well respected on the forum and has helped many of us here. It is rude to not respond IMO. It's better for him to know so that Richer Sounds can make improvements.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Samd said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
*lol* i will not bother emailing them wast of time i will spend my money somewhere else in future

So you buy an item, have it sent to you and return unopened. Think I would be a tad miffed!
miffed ! What the hell do you on about it ?

I went to the store 2 times to pickup something 20 miles each way the first time I went to pick up Dali opticon 1s then to be told I've made the wrong choice and to go for a different back speaker which they never had in stock then get talked into buying the Rel sub which is underpowered for my room and Dali opticon 8 speakers which I did not no at the time of buying the sub I was told power isn't everything and the Rel was powerful for my needs and I told them that I was interested in the SVS they just put down the SVS sub instead so good salesman tactics and not basically listening to the customers needs . So after people on here told me I had not made the right choice and that the SVS choice was better value for money and more powerful then the Rel I knew I had to take it back I tried to stop the order the next day after I made the order but was told I could not stop the order now and just try it and if you do not like it bring it back .

one problem with trying something with richer sounds they charge for re boxing which i wanted to a void did not want to pay so I sent it back the sub unopened as the sub was not right for my needs anyway . I am allowed to change my mind if something is not right a specially when spending £800 it's a expensive mistake

1. They never asked me how big my room was or my seating area just assumed

ive already spent £1700 with them the other week so I was not wasting anyone time here if anyone miffed it's me

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
If I were you, I would email John Clayton. He's well respected on the forum and has helped many of us here. It is rude to not respond IMO. It's better for him to know so that Richer Sounds can make improvements.

We don't want the old chap getting miffed.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Richer Sounds said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Ok taken it back unopened

richer sounds salesman did not like it much that I brought it back without trying it first and thought I was making a mistake buying a SVS

i did not like his attitude towards me and kept saying I am making a mistake when I've not heard the Rel and then he had the check to make sure my signature was on my card before giving a refund but never bothered to look at my card when I paid for the Rel sub or any other time when I've brought something in the past and I've kept loyal over the years but today I opened my eyes and they are only interested in a sale said I still want the opticon 1s but came across uninterested in anymore what I had to say so after spending £1700 and £2000 on opticon 8s when I brought them I felt that would be the last time I would buy from richer sounds .

not very good in theses hard times when loyal customers are spoken to in this way I do not like ars licking salesman when your buying something and bad attitude when you want to bring back something just plain good advice would do its free .

But on a positive note it's back I will wait 3 days for refund to come back to me then I will give David a ring .

Hi there,

I was sorry to read your comments on the thread and offer my apologies.

Customer service is our top priority so it’s of course concerning to read of any occasion where we have a disatsifed customer.

So that I can investigate further and resolve the matter please would you e-mail me via the below address with some more information?

John.p.clayton@richersounds.com

Once again, I offer my apologies, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many Thanks

John Clayton

Operations Director

Richer Sounds
sent email

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
I sent a email to john I was just a bit angry how I was treated as they made me feel guilty for bring back the sub back without trying it first

I did try to stop the order so i never wasted anyone's time but it was to late and it was pointless opening the box to try it first at least 3 of you commented to say the Rel was the wrong choice so it went back .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I sent a email to john I was just a bit angry how I was treated as they made me feel guilty for bring back the sub back without trying it first

I did try to stop the order so i never wasted anyone's time but it was to late and it was pointless opening the box to try it first at least 3 of you commented to say the Rel was the wrong choice so it went back .

FWIW. I believe that RS try to act honorably and work hard on their customer service. I think the person you dealt with gave poor advice and should have gratiously accepted the Sub back, realizing that keeping the customer happy, is what drives future sales (even if he swore under his breath after you'd left).

I would not let it put you off dealing with them as a company.....but maybe avoid the individual who you dealt with.......and not necessarily take what they say as Gospel.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

FWIW. I believe that RS try to act honorably and work hard on their customer service. I think the person you dealt with gave poor advice and should have gratiously accepted the Sub back, realizing that keeping the customer happy, is what drives future sales (even if he swore under his breath after you'd left).

I would not let it put you off dealing with them as a company.....but maybe avoid the individual who you dealt with.......and not necessarily take what they say as Gospel.
I do believe the company try's to act honourably that's why I've kept as a customer all these years but l left that shop a couple of times feeling confused about the choices I've made whether they are right or not .

I also understand that shops have staff changes so sometimes you do get the wrong advice but if your not in the no about something then you can easily make mistakes in what you buy so trust the salesman to give you the right advice and the salesman truly felt he was .

and I found myself trusting you guys on here more and valued the input as that's what this sites about helping each other and giving good advice when needed .

jjbomber

CnoEvil said:
FWIW. I believe that RS try to act honorably and work hard on their customer service. I think the person you dealt with gave poor advice and should have gratiously accepted the Sub back,

... whereas I believe BS25 was bullied out of having an excellent musical sub. Each to their own I guess.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
jjbomber said:
CnoEvil said:
FWIW. I believe that RS try to act honorably and work hard on their customer service. I think the person you dealt with gave poor advice and should have gratiously accepted the Sub back,

... whereas I believe BS25 was bullied out of having an excellent musical sub. Each to their own I guess.

Ive through this thread please tell me who has bullied bs as I cant find it.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
jjbomber said:
CnoEvil said:
FWIW. I believe that RS try to act honorably and work hard on their customer service. I think the person you dealt with gave poor advice and should have gratiously accepted the Sub back,

Please highlight where the bullying happened......politely voicing an opinion based on logic, does not constitute bullying. The Rel Sub didn't go much deeper than his speakers, so given it was impact for films that was needed, it was sensible to point this out.

I read this and can't find any bullying from anyone.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I do not think I was bullied I openly admit I needed the help in regards of sub help that's why I started the thread in the first place so I could make a wise choice and not be disappointed in what I brought which I think I would of done buying the Rel .

i did state I wanted the films only not music and understand that the Rel would of been good for music not so good with films . I guess I would never know I did not try it .

The trouble is I would of brought the Rel sub blind and I would be buying the SVS sub that same way too and relying on what people say and reviews and YouTube to make this purchase which I feel a bit uncomfortable with .

but saying all that the reviews I've read people are very happy with the SVS SB2000 sub and on paper it's good value for money spec wise sub and to get the same spec in a Rel sub I would have to spend over £1500 on a Rel to get anywhere near the SVS sub .

so I would say that the people that have helped me in this thread have stopped me from wasting money and making a mistake thank you

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
What he means by bullying is peer pressure. But you can't play that card for an open forum, in a thread where the OP welcomes opinions on what to buy.

keep_calm_and_focus_on_being_miffed_tshirt.jpg

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jjbomber said:
CnoEvil said:
FWIW. I believe that RS try to act honorably and work hard on their customer service. I think the person you dealt with gave poor advice and should have gratiously accepted the Sub back,

Please highlight where the bullying happened......politely voicing an opinion based on logic, does not constitute bullying. The Rel Sub didn't go deeper than his speakers, so given it was impact for films that was needed, it was sensible to point this out.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have tried to offer an alternative but its tougher at that rough price point

A lot of the sub 1000 subs dont really differentiate themselves from each other and a lot of them might be good all rounders like the bkxls400 but even bk say if its for movies buy the monolith.

To get monolith like performance from a small box you need to pay more sb13 ultra jl audio e12 but were doubling our budget here.

Hence i recommended the power sound as it sits in the middle but again depends on just how much bass you want.

Factoring in you never get as much bass as you think you will and more is generally better for movies if its done properly.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:

A lot of the sub 1000 subs dont really differentiate themselves from each other and a lot of them might be good all rounders like the bkxls400 but even bk say if its for movies buy the monolith.

To get monolith like performance from a small box you need to pay more sb13 ultra jl audio e12 but were doubling our budget here.

Hence i recommended the power sound as it sits in the middle but again depends on just how much bass you want.

Factoring in you never get as much bass as you think you will and more is generally better for movies if its done properly.

It was pretty much this logic that led me to making my original comment - ie. that unless you could stretch to the sort of Subs you mention, you might as well save money and get the BK.

The price of the SVS 2000 in the HCC review shows it at 650GBP (so its had a price hike of just over 20%)....which highlights the effect of the falling Pound and put it in a similar price range to the BK.

I also accept, that if you are prepared to pay the premium and want the best performance 800 Pounds can buy, the SVS was a great choice.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
ellisdj said:

It was pretty much this logic that led me to making my original comment - ie. that unless you could stretch to the sort of Subs you mention, you might as well save money and get the BK.

The price of the SVS 2000 in the HCC review shows it at 650GBP (so its had a price hike of just over 20%)....which highlights the effect of the falling Pound and put it in a similar price range to the BK.

I also accept, that if you are prepared to pay the premium and want the best performance 800 Pounds can buy, the SVS was a great choice.
i did look at the monolith bk sub and its a very good price a lot cheaper then the SVS - SB2000 is but its to big and what i like about the BK subs i could buy one in wallnut and the BK400 has a smaller amp of 400wtts .

now the SVS sub has 500wtts but a lot more money then both BK subs its a hard choice now would i use all of the 500wtts on the SVS sub ? my setup will not be playing really loud as i have nabours to think about .

i have phoned david but can not order a SVS till monday but am i right inthinking if i do not have the films blasting out would a BK400 do ?

I debated long and hard about my choice of subwoofer for my own personal use. I needed something to follow in the foot steps of Ken Kreisel's DXD12012 - a dual 12" push/pull sealed sub, with around 3,000 watts behind it. I needed something small (SB13 was too big), something that wouldn't seem slow after owning the above, and certainly sound clean like the KKs. Other than KEF's R400b and B&W DB1, I was considering the SB1000 from a price point of view, which size wise was perfect. I just felt that if I was going to go for a sub with a 12" driver, I may as well go for the SB2000, even if it had more power than I needed as it's this power that is going to help with the depth too. I never really watch any films any higher than around -20dB on my pre (other than quiet films like Zodiac), so didn't need all out power, and I reckon I've barely used half of what the SB2000 is capable of. But as I say, I chose the SB2000 for other qualities it has. Even my playback levels would be fine for a BK, and probably numerous speaker manufacturer's subs, but I want clean output, as well as some good presence and depth, which the SB2000 has never failed to deliver. I watched Super 8 last night, and despite having this sub for a year and a half, it impressed me with its speed, particularly with the very low notes in Super 8 - you could hear deep bass notes suddenly stopping, there was no smearing or looseness to the sub bass at all. Highly impressive.

All subs will be compromised in one way or another, whether lacking depth due to size, or ultimate output etc, but the SB2000 doesn't feel in any way compromised for its size or price - if anything it feels like it delivers more than it should do for its size and price.

D

Deleted member 2457

It's amazing the amount of bad customer service you get from Richer Sounds, the list keeps growing - not impressed. I would only buy from Richer Sounds online they are a different beast then - much better.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Just back after a respite. IAM of the opinion that you did the right thing. For movies, deeper is always better. 19hz vs 30 Hz is a no contest. And svs are very highly regarded all over the world. Haven't heard a bad thing about them ever. The svs sb2000 is my next purchase too. But if you are looking for mainly movies, you can consider the svs pb2000 too. Svs designed the pb for movies and sb for music. The sb sacrifices a little depth for more speed. Just my 2 cents...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
i did look at the monolith bk sub and its a very good price a lot cheaper then the SVS - SB2000 is but its to big and what i like about the BK subs i could buy one in wallnut and the BK400 has a smaller amp of 400wtts .

now the SVS sub has 500wtts but a lot more money then both BK subs its a hard choice now would i use all of the 500wtts on the SVS sub ? my setup will not be playing really loud as i have nabours to think about .

i have phoned david but can not order a SVS till monday but am i right inthinking if i do not have the films blasting out would a BK400 do ?

The SVS has 1100W of peak power...which I strongly suspect the BK can't match.....and do believe it will be a better Sub, though not twice as good....so......

- If you get the SVS, will it annoy you that you have spent 300 more money for a bit of extra performance?

- or will getting the BK, leave you regretting that you didn't go for the extra performance, given you are likely to be keeping it for a while?

There is a lot to be said for dealing with David, who will look after you....and will (probably) accept the Sub back if it disappoints.

I don't know what BK's position is....as they probably make the Subs to order, which means they don't have to take them back unless under warrenty (I think).

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

The SVS has 1100W of peak power...which I strongly suspect the BK can't match.....and do believe it will be a better Sub, though not twice as good....so......

- If you get the SVS, will it annoy you that you have spent 300 more money for a bit of extra performance?

- or will getting the BK, leave you regretting that you didn't go for the extra performance, given you are likely to be keeping it for a while?

There is a lot to be said for dealing with David, who will look after you....and will (probably) accept the Sub back if it disappoints.

I don't know what BK's position is....as they probably make the Subs to order, which means they don't have to take them back unless under warrenty (I think).
true its a shame the price has gone up on the SVS SB2000 as they were £650 but also no for the same spec i would have to spend more so the SVS SB2000 will be the one i go for on monday .

Blacksabbath25 said:
now the SVS sub has 500wtts but a lot more money then both BK subs its a hard choice now would i use all of the 500wtts on the SVS sub ?
Both Nissan Micra with 1.0 litre engine and Mercedes E class with 2.0 litre engine can do 70mph. Which one would you prefer to drive on the motorway?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have had a loved a BK and now I own SVS I would buy the SVS for movies - I squeezed serious performance out of a BK XLS400 - I had it showing up subs in the thousands of pounds range because of how it was setup - but its got its limits.

the SVS is designed differently - they can manipulste the power to the driver to give it the freq response extension - freq extension eats up your power so lower power is not good.

BK use a Linkwitz filter to boost the sub but if you put the sub in a field and test it the extension would be dire - look at the 2m ground plane for the Sb2000 - its extending to about 40hz with no room gain - add some room gain you might get some useable 30hz bass out if it which is happy days,

But if the BK looka nicer to you its still a good sub and can give you a really good film experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts