LG ht953tv no 5.1 from sky hd.

simonandkat

May 25, 2009
Visit site
can anyone help? i've bought an LG ht953tv all in one dvd/home cinema set up, the problem is i only get 5.1 sound when playing dvds, surely i should get it when watching an HD movie from my Sky HD box? I have it connected as follows- HDMI from Skybox to reciever; HDMI from reciever to TV; optical from Skybox to Amp/Sub unit. Thanks

A

Anonymous

There's a setting I think you have to change on the Sky box. Something like 'Sound Set-up' then 'Output sound via optical'.

simonandkat

May 25, 2009
Visit site
hi thanks for the reply, i've looked in the sound setup menu all you can do is switch between stereo and mono; Dolby D and normal; and the amount of digital audio output delay. I can see nothing in the menus about switching to optical. By the way when i rang Sky the woman i spoke to didn't even know what i meant when i said '5.1 sound', VERY helpfull !! thanks anyway.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

You will only get 5.1 sound out from the SKYHD box if SKY are broadcasting it in 5.1DD.

Check the movie/sports whatever you're watching via the info bar and it should have DD written in the top right of the info bar. If it's got anything other than that, it's plain stereo.

If you have the new EPG - go to the settings menu, select sound/digital audio output and set it to dolby digital.

Can't remember where it is on the old EPG. All of the above is on the SKYHD box.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

simonandkat

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Cheers for the reply, i'll take a look. The missus has decided to have a snooze on the sofa right now, so i'll have to wait till she wakes up to try it! Thanks again.

Simon.

simonandkat

May 25, 2009
Visit site
hi, just tried with a 'DD' film from the skybox - no 5.1 !! Just 2.1, there is a slight output from the tweeters of the rear and centre speaker, a hiss, but nothing to do with the movie. It seems odd when we get the full 5.1 with a dvd, very fruststing.

Simon

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
H,

Do you select the HDMI input to 'listen' to sound or the optical input?

HDMI will only give your LG a stereo feed. The DD part will come down the optical cable - try pulling the HDMI cable out and see if the sound remains a stereo feed (or any sound at all). You may have to manually select the optical input as your sound source.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts