LG 55EA980W Owners Thread

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
With the way I have been upgrading I think I have decided not to get this one calibrated, I don't trust myself not to upgrade to a 4K one once and if it is released.

What?? Not get your OLED calibrated, especially as you know that calibration made an already very fine Panasonic 50VT65 into an even better machine?? Now I know that you are mad. And, thinking forward to the advent of 4K OLED as you were, if you calibrate your existing OLED that will improve its resale value!! *dance4*

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
With the way I have been upgrading I think I have decided not to get this one calibrated, I don't trust myself not to upgrade to a 4K one once and if it is released.

What?? Not get your OLED calibrated, especially as you know that calibration made an already very fine Panasonic 50VT65 into an even better machine?? Now I know that you are mad. And, thinking forward to the advent of 4K OLED as you were, if you calibrate your existing OLED that will improve its resale value!! *dance4*
*smile*. The picture is already fantastic and I just can't be asked. My upgrades are out of hand too! Panasonic was a great TV, I got a good deal with the Oled and wanted something lighter and bigger. I just couldn't resist infinite contrast level too. I just see 4K as another way of the TV industry getting our money, so I'm against that.

I can only see at the moment calibration just costing more and I won't see that money again, that and I've spent all my money for this month and next! *smile*

D

Deleted member 2457

The accuracy of the normal settings on this Oled is really high, and I like the pop from the image. Black is already really black. I might change my mind in 6 months I will have to see.

D

Deleted member 2457

his dudeness said:
and pretty much reference across the board once calibrated,but not much point if your not gonna keep it very long.
Yep, that's the problem, I've bought a new TV each year for the last 5 years! *biggrin*

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
*smile*. The picture is already fantastic and I just can't be asked.

Was that a deliberate spelling mistake so that you wouldn't get banned by the Forum moderators?? *wink*
*smile*

D

Deleted member 2457

15691957292_3d713e7976.jpg

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
Are the blacks better than your VT Gel?
Yes. Although some pictures are better on the Panasonic and some with the Pioneer. All three are great. I do prefer the size of this one too.

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
gel said:
Series1boy said:
Are the blacks better than your VT Gel?
Yes. Although some pictures are better on the Panasonic and some with the Pioneer. All three are great. I do prefer the size of this one too.

probably because the VT has been calibrated.
Yep.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Calibration doesnt effect black level - just the detail in the blacks, so its not all black when some is supposed to be grey crushing the detail or shadow etc

Also sorts out oversaturation - Gel I find all your pics are over saturated on contrast and colour but that could be your phone / camera.

The white are so over white is completely crushing all the detail and is just white mess - my monitor is calibrated, not perfectly so it makes me think its either your camera or the contrast is set too high.

Not trying to offend - can see the potential more from the last 2 pictures

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
gel said:

For example to me there is pure white mess on the right guy in this picture.

No differentiation between his face and his shirt - obviously this is not right - but could be your rubbish photography skills :)

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:

For example to me there is pure white mess on the right guy in this picture.

No differentiation between his face and his shirt - obviously this is not right - but could be your rubbish photography skills :)
The light was on the players and shirts, so it looks a bit of a mess I realise now.

ellisdj said:
Calibration doesnt effect black level - just the detail in the blacks, so its not all black when some is supposed to be grey crushing the detail or shadow etc

Also sorts out oversaturation - Gel I find all your pics are over saturated on contrast and colour but that could be your phone / camera.

The white are so over white is completely crushing all the detail and is just white mess - my monitor is calibrated, not perfectly so it makes me think its either your camera or the contrast is set too high.

To be honest, commenting on picture quality of a TV based on photographs is like reviewing sound quality of a sound system after listening through a telephone.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
ellisdj said:

To be honest, commenting on picture quality of a TV based on photographs is like reviewing sound quality of a sound system after listening through a telephone.
Agreed.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had mine calibrated either - I keep meaning to get round to running the THX optimiser on one of my BluRays... But waht I will say is that the picture, in HD and from BluRay is stunning - also from Netflix streamed in HD, so much that my wife said it's like looking through a window on to the set, and actually made it seem "too real"... If that makes sense? I know what she means!!!

I'll try and post some pics from mine later...

D

Deleted member 2457

chris_bates1974 said:
I haven't had mine calibrated either - I keep meaning to get round to running the THX optimiser on one of my BluRays... But waht I will say is that the picture, in HD and from BluRay is stunning - also from Netflix streamed in HD, so much that my wife said it's like looking through a window on to the set, and actually made it seem "too real"... If that makes sense? I know what she means!!!

I'll try and post some pics from mine later...
Ah great. Nice one!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
chris_bates1974 said:
I haven't had mine calibrated either - I keep meaning to get round to running the THX optimiser on one of my BluRays...

Running the THX Optimiser disc would be good, but not as good as a £180 - £250 proper calibration, which would make your wife think that the picture is even more "Too real!"

I must say though that calibration makes even my ancient Pioneer PDP428XD in the bedroom look pretty good, so I can only imagine what it would do to your modern LG OLED!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts