LG 55EA980W Owners Thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

15213643690_4c486d185d.jpg

D

Deleted member 2457

15213746717_a518b2afe4.jpg

This one is a bit smudged, it just came out that way, but shows the black levels quite well.

D

Deleted member 2457

Any requests? Star Wars, Toy Story again, Sky HD, Sky Movies? One of the Batmans, Any others?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Congrats mate!

Are you going for a pro-cal?

If so, Darbee processing doesn't make sense.

Your TV will be calibrated to perform optimally with your BDP's processing turned off; and since Darbee processing skews contrast, gamma, colour and sharpness it will negate the benefits of calibration.

How do you feel the LG compares with the VT65?

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Congrats mate!

Your TV will be calibrated to perform optimally with your BDP's processing turned off; and since Darbee processing skews contrast, gamma, colour and sharpness it will negate the benefits of calibration.

Cheers mate! Jules said he would calibrate it for £135 for me, as it's my second one. Cheers for the tip. The LG is slightly darker and quite bright compared to the Panasonic. Motion is just the same for me, no judder either. It's quite hard to compare the two because both are excellent! I like the extra size on the LG, but it's amazing how quickly you get used to the picture again! I had demoed this about 50 times in the end and was just dying to try one out. I am not sure I will upgrade to 4K though, I am not sure there will be any point? Cheers.

strapped for cash said:
Congrats mate!

Not according to Darbee. Clicky.

Should I have my equipment calibrated before or after I install the Darblet?

Calibrate and then add the Darblet. The Darblet will not affect your color, brightness, contrast, or gamma settings for the calibration.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I bought one of these TVs too! I love it, so pleased with the picture.... would like any advice on quickest andeasiest way to set up for optimum picture quality - this is the first decent TV I have ever bought, so have ever really played wit hsettings before!

Thanks....

D

Deleted member 2457

chris_bates1974 said:
I bought one of these TVs too! I love it, so pleased with the picture.... would like any advice on quickest andeasiest way to set up for optimum picture quality - this is the first decent TV I have ever bought, so have ever really played wit hsettings before!

Thanks....
Some other people are probably the best to ask not me. I have just been using THX and Normal settings at the moment. I am going to get it calibrated by a professional soon. I use Jules from THX calibration costing about £195 for full calibration. Some people use a disc to do it too, or just copy other peoples calibration settings.

D

Deleted member 2457

I use this company:

http://www.displaycalibration.co.uk

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Cheers mate! Jules said he would calibrate it for £135 for me, as it's my second one. Cheers for the tip. The LG is slightly darker and quite bright compared to the Panasonic. Motion is just the same for me, no judder either. It's quite hard to compare the two because both are excellent! I like the extra size on the LG, but it's amazing how quickly you get used to the picture again! I had demoed this about 50 times in the end and was just dying to try one out. I am not sure I will upgrade to 4K though, I am not sure there will be any point? Cheers.

Sounds a good deal on calibration.

Would you say any improvement over the VT65 is incremental rather than striking. I'm not in the market for a new TV; just interested.
regular_smile.gif

strapped for cash said:
bigboss said:

Calibrate and then add the Darblet. The Darblet will not affect your color, brightness, contrast, or gamma settings for the calibration.

I think this is deceptive phrasing/marketing.

Certainly Darbee processing can't alter a television's settings. Once placed in the video chain, however, Darbee processing alters the above picture parameters.

To my knowledge, Darbee processing "augments" images by boosting contrast, brightness, gamma, colour and sharpness.

As a result, every aspect of pro-calibration is skewed. While the television's settings are unchanged, the picture the television produces deviates from optimal.  

Any linked to support that or is it just a suspicion? I understand it alters sharpness.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:

I think this is deceptive phrasing/marketing.

Certainly Darbee processing can't alter a television's settings. Once placed in the video chain, however, Darbee processing alters the above picture parameters.

To my knowledge, Darbee processing "augments" images by boosting contrast, brightness, gamma, colour and sharpness.

As a result, every aspect of pro-calibration is skewed. While the television's settings are unchanged, the picture the television produces deviates from optimal.

EDIT: to go further, I think Darbee is stressing that it'd be a bad idea to calibrate with a Darblet as part of the video chain, as this would mess up any "Darbee-free" viewing (notably normal TV viewing).

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Any linked to support that or is it just a suspicion? I understand it alters sharpness.

I'm going from memory (I read up on how Darbee processing works, admittedly quite a while ago). I don't have time to source anything right now, though I'll have a look when I get the chance.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:

Sounds a good deal on calibration.

Would you say any improvement over the VT65 is incremental rather than striking. I'm not in the market for a new TV; just interested.
I would say it would be best to demo to see what you think. Both are great TVs. I would say it goes darker and it's LED bright. It really is bright and dark. I think it's a good upgrade, but sometimes the picture is very similar and others not. It has more detail, the detail is excellent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts