LG 55EA980W Owners Thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
All high speed HDMI cables support 3D. I'll get ThatCable and a 12-15m active HDMI for the projector, maybe QED.
Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

Whites are really white too, and during daytime viewing this TV seems better.

D

Deleted member 2457

I have to say I have got used to this TV rather quickly, which makes me think there is not more difference between a plasma. Most pictures are very similar, but I like it all the same. I can't see 4K being much of a game changer either.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
I have to say I have got used to this TV rather quickly, which makes me think there is not more difference between a plasma. Most pictures are very similar, but I like it all the same. I can't see 4K being much of a game changer either.

Tnis is why you have buy as big as possible (as said before) its the size which will have the wow factor for longest (still fades and becomes the norm quickly) - incremental improvements are exactly that - a referenece image is a reference image.

Even if it overhangs the stand or get it up on the wall pride of place - up on the wall is the way forward - its something a person would never go back from once done so.

Wont matter you will be buying another tv ina years time - 60" probably..

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
gel said:

Tnis is why you have buy as big as possible (as said before) its the size which will have the wow factor for longest (still fades and becomes the norm quickly) - incremental improvements are exactly that - a referenece image is a reference image.

Even if it overhangs the stand or get it up on the wall pride of place - up on the wall is the way forward - its something a person would never go back from once done so.

Wont matter you will be buying another tv ina years time - 60" probably..
Nope, my upgrade days are over now. 55 inches is fine for me.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Nope, my upgrade days are over now.

Based on past and on very recent form, gel, I simply do not believe you.

gel said:
55 inches is fine for me.

And when next year's 65" OLED comes out, you'll find yourself wanting one - and don't even think of repeating that hoary old line "My stand won't take bigger than 55 inches" because, as you know, I have a 64" plasma on the same AV stand as yours! *smile*

Incidentally, from the pictures that you have posted, I do like seeing the clear glass of the OLED's own tabletop stand and the clear glass of your Optimim AV300 in close proximity, so if I owned that combination I personally would NOT wall-mount the gleaming new OLED.

D

Deleted member 2457

The contrast on this TV does make it striking.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
Nope, my upgrade days are over now.

Based on past and on very recent form, gel, I simply do not believe you.

gel said:
55 inches is fine for me.

And when next year's 65" OLED comes out, you'll find yourself wanting one - and don't even think of repeating that hoary old line "My stand won't take bigger than 55 inches" because, as you know, I have a 64" plasma on the same AV stand as yours! *smile*

Incidentally, from the pictures that you have posted, I do like seeing the clear glass of the OLED's own tabletop stand and the clear glass of your Optimim AV300 in close proximity, so if I owned that combination I personally would NOT wall-mount the gleaming new OLED.
That's true.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Yes, I never understood the argument of "my AV stand won't take a bigger TV". Surely, you can buy a bigger stand in the future to go with the larger TV? (I hope you don't think about it for the next few years though!)
My stand has been modified to accommodate my centre speaker, and it can't find another stand to fit it.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
There are people who can custom make TV stands to suit your requirements. You can look into it when the time comes to upgrade (hopefully few years down the line!).
I can't seem to stop upgrading, BB. *smile*

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Do you think you need to see your doctor?

He's just seen a doctor - you!!!

gel said:

Now that at least is correct, but you would certainly stop upgrading if you had as little money as I've had for the last four years!

bigboss said:
There are people who can custom make TV stands to suit your requirements. You can look into it when the time comes to upgrade (hopefully few years down the line!).

gel said:
bigboss said:
Yes, I never understood the argument of "my AV stand won't take a bigger TV". Surely, you can buy a bigger stand in the future to go with the larger TV? (I hope you don't think about it for the next few years though!)
My stand has been modified to accommodate my centre speaker, and it can't find another stand to fit it.

I like to think of myself as a responsible adult, so I really shouldn't be telling gel this (it's like giving petrol to a pyromaniac, or giving the keys of the wine bar to an alcoholic) but, gel, among those people that custom-make stands are Optimum, who make your (and my) current AV stand!

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
bigboss said:
Do you think you need to see your doctor?

He's just seen a doctor - you!!!

gel said:

Now that at least is correct, but you would certainly stop upgrading if you had as little money as I've had for the last four years!

bigboss said:

gel said:
bigboss said:

I like to think of myself as a responsible adult, so I really shouldn't be telling gel this (it's like giving petrol to a pyromaniac, or giving the keys of the wine bar to an alcoholic) but, gel, among those people that custom-make stands are Optimum, who make your (and my) current AV stand!
That's very true.

Just spoke to my brother in law. He bought the 2014 LG OLED 55EC930V for less than £1600 equivalent last week! Apparently, it was a manager's special deal, and he had a 10% voucher for the store as well.

He lives in Switzerland. He's loving the picture!

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Just spoke to my brother in law. He bought the 2014 LG OLED 55EC930V for less than £1600 equivalent last week! Apparently, it was a manager's special deal, and he had a 10% voucher for the store as well.

He lives in Switzerland. He's loving the picture!
Wow - nice one!

D

Deleted member 2457

With the way I have been upgrading I think I have decided not to get this one calibrated, I don't trust myself not to upgrade to a 4K one once and if it is released.

D

Deleted member 2457

14950351834_ace9f017d0.jpg

D

Deleted member 2457

Stuart.W.D said:
I have to say i wasn't a fan when i first saw this TV in store, I really disliked the LG stand, but it looks great here - cracking PQ as well. Enjoy
Ah cheers! Appreciate it. I am really enjoying it, the colours are so strong!

TRENDING THREADS