Leonard Nimoy has sadly passed away at the age of 83

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I was sad to hear this.

My wife and I watched Star Trek: The Final Frontire and Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country on BD over the weekend to commemorate Leonard Nimoy.

RIP Mr Spok

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
For the love of logic, it's spelt "Spock"!

You are right The_Lhc. It didn't look right when I typed it but was feeling too lazy to check.

On the Star Trek BDs though my wife and I have been very impressed with not only the Picture on each film so far but the 7.1 audio has been very well done and combined with the awesome piture has brought the movies quite up to date.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
The_Lhc said:
For the love of logic, it's spelt "Spock"!

You are right The_Lhc. It didn't look right when I typed it but was feeling too lazy to check.

On the Star Trek BDs though my wife and I have been very impressed with not only the Picture on each film so far but the 7.1 audio has been very well done and combined with the awesome piture has brought the movies quite up to date.

Yeah, I watched The Motion Picture last night, it's the only remastered one I've got on Blu-Ray thus far, it is rather stunning, albeit it's the original Theatrical release, there is a Director's Cut with 5 more minutes and some effects redone with CGI but I don't know if that's available on Blu-ray.

Some of the orchestral pieces on the soundtrack provided me with the best instrument placement I've ever heard on my system, really stunning.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
I bought Startrek 'The Original Series' season one on Blu-ray a few weeks ago. I will make the time to watch a few episodes next week (a week off).

I got that for my birthday over a year ago, gradually working my way through it, think I'm on disc 5 now, can't remember, very good, I like the view angle change to allow you to switch the new SFX in and out, very clever.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
chebby said:
I bought Startrek 'The Original Series' season one on Blu-ray a few weeks ago. I will make the time to watch a few episodes next week (a week off).

I got that for my birthday over a year ago, gradually working my way through it, think I'm on disc 5 now, can't remember, very good, I like the view angle change to allow you to switch the new SFX in and out, very clever.

I was going to ask about that, I've read the new images / effects are very good, what's your view? I have all the DVDs of series and films so it's going to be quite a commitment if I upgrade.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
The_Lhc said:
chebby said:

I was going to ask about that, I've read the new images / effects are very good, what's your view?

It's mainly only exterior ship shots and the planetary orbit shots they've updated, so most of the time you wouldn't notice. I find it slightly distracting as I keep pressing the angle button to see what the difference is, angle 1, angle 2, angle 1, angle 2. If I just stuck with one or the other I probably wouldn't care either way. They're a definite improvement, whether it was worth the effort I don't really know. In terms of quality it makes the exterior shots look like ST:TNG, that sort of quality.

The surround sound is worth the upgrade though, imo.

I have all the DVDs of series and films so it's going to be quite a commitment if I upgrade.

It's only the three original series boxsets that you'd need to get. I haven't got the films on blu-ray yet, other than TMP, so I can't comment on those. The blu-ray of TMP has been remastered but they haven't redone the effects, which can look slightly comical during the scene where Scotty's transferring Kirk to the Enterprise for the first time in a small shuttle, the pair of them look like cardboard cutouts plastered onto the windscreen. I don't know if the Director's Cut updated those shots, I haven't seen it.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. That accords with what I'd heard of the effects on TOS. Given that the die hard fans haven't really complained about them they clearly must be pretty good.

I have DVDs of the first 10 films (across two boxsets) plus TOS, TNG and DS9. I'd like to have the best SQ and PQ possible for all of them so getting blu rays (assuming DS9 gets a release) for all would be pretty expensive. Given how infrequently I watch them it's pretty difficult to justify, although I would like to watch them all with my son when he's a bit older. He probably won't care what format they're on though!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Ooh, last series of DS9 is very good! The series was crap to begin with and got much better. There seemed to be a relationship with the existence and gnarliness of Sisko's beard.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Ooh, last series of DS9 is very good! The series was crap to begin with and got much better.

Yeah, I know, I remember when DS9 and Babylon 5 kept out-doing each other for most number of objects on screen at once, great stuff. That's another show I never watched the last season of, as well as Battlestar Galactica and Stargate:SG-1 (after 4 series)...

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I was going to ask about that, I've read the new images / effects are very good, what's your view? I have all the DVDs of series and films so it's going to be quite a commitment if I upgrade.

It's quite effective, it makes the series look far more modern. Although I do not mind the original version at all either.

BenLaw said:
I have DVDs of the first 10 films (across two boxsets) plus TOS, TNG and DS9. I'd like to have the best SQ and PQ possible for all of them so getting blu rays (assuming DS9 gets a release) for all would be pretty expensive.

Not necessarily, unless you have to buy it all immediately and buy it new from a shop. Wait your while and the special offers will come, especially if looking at used (which doesn't have to mean it's in poor condition) copies on eBay.

The_Lhc said:
Yeah, I watched The Motion Picture last night, it's the only remastered one I've got on Blu-Ray thus far, it is rather stunning, albeit it's the original Theatrical release, there is a Director's Cut with 5 more minutes and some effects redone with CGI but I don't know if that's available on Blu-ray.

It's not, unfortunately (the main reason I don't have the ten-film set). I watched it three years ago or so, and it's quite good, very preferable to the theatrical version, I find. There's even an audio commentary with quite a number of people, including Robert Wise.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I got the startrek stardate collection on bluray for Christmas and its massive step up from the DVD version I also have. The picture quality in terms of the blacks are brilliant, with great colour and hardly any screen noise. The Dolby hd sound track is also very good and is very cinematic.

i will have watched all of them from the motion picture to nemesis by Sunday, even the wife is enjoying the new BDs

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
7760 said:
The_Lhc said:

It's not, unfortunately (the main reason I don't have the ten-film set). I watched it three years ago or so, and it's quite good, very preferable to the theatrical version, I find. There's even an audio commentary with quite a number of people, including Robert Wise.

Yes, I did a little googlage trying to find out about it, apparently when they created the Director's Cut Paramount only paid for the CGI to be rendered in 480p, so it would require all the new effects to be done again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts