The price diffrence of Vinyl is Shocking 🙈

jjbomber

How do they justify this

I bought a CD from HMV this week in their sale. I would never normally use them as I always think they are too expensive, but what a shock to the system. Dan Patlansky's new CD was in the sale at 50%, which is way cheaper than anyone else. I then popped into my local store to pick it up. Effortless.
There is also something magical about going in a store rather than the Amazon locker. I don't know why, as it's the same CD I'm fetching. It just feels better.
I'm going to see Dan Saturday in Cardiff, so just a case of getting the CD signed now. One happy bunny.

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano

Oxfordian

Reactions: hifi and Al ears

DCarmi

Bulk production of an LP costs around £4-5, without transportation costs etc.
Bulk production for CDs are pennies and easier to transport.
Between the 1980s and 2000s most of the UK vinyl pressing plants shut down and less than a handful remain, including a new plant in Middlesborough (I think in the old RCA site).

If you factor in inflation the price of an LP has remained fairly constant since the 1960s. If you factor in wages, then they are cheaper than they were in the 1960s and probably 70s.

A direct comparison of the costs of vinyl and CD is probably. You can easily pick up a new box set of CDs for around £1 per disc and one assumes they are not being sold at loss.

I bought a CD from HMV this week in their sale. I would never normally use them as I always think they are too expensive, but what a shock to the system. Dan Patlansky's new CD was in the sale at 50%, which is way cheaper than anyone else. I then popped into my local store to pick it up. Effortless.
There is also something magical about going in a store rather than the Amazon locker. I don't know why, as it's the same CD I'm fetching. It just feels better.
I'm going to see Dan Saturday in Cardiff, so just a case of getting the CD signed now. One happy bunny.
At least HMV have an excuse to be expensive - they’re running bricks and mortar stores in prime locations. Amazon have no excuse for charging twice as much. Problem is, some people presume Amazon ARE cheaper, and will just buy from Amazon without even checking the price. A bit like those who will only buy their stuff on eBay.

Bulk production of an LP costs around £4-5, without transportation costs etc.
Bulk production for CDs are pennies and easier to transport.
Between the 1980s and 2000s most of the UK vinyl pressing plants shut down and less than a handful remain, including a new plant in Middlesborough (I think in the old RCA site).

If you factor in inflation the price of an LP has remained fairly constant since the 1960s. If you factor in wages, then they are cheaper than they were in the 1960s and probably 70s.

A direct comparison of the costs of vinyl and CD is probably. You can easily pick up a new box set of CDs for around £1 per disc and one assumes they are not being sold at loss.
Distribution costs have gone way up. The trade price of vinyl is quite high, so a retailer has to choose between appearing competitive and making little money, or being expensive and making the profit they should do.

Ordering/booking in/storage/maintenance etc of vinyl and display areas is very time consuming.

jjbomber

Problem is, some people presume Amazon ARE cheaper, and will just buy from Amazon without even checking the price. A bit like those who will only buy their stuff on eBay.
I have been guilty of that, so this was an eye-opener. HMV was £15 reduced to £7.50. Amazon was £12.20 and Flea-bay was £11.74. I'll find out tomorrow how much they are at the merch stall. That is set by the record company, not the artist.

Reactions: hifi

Oxfordian

In the early 70s a typical album was around £5, and translated to 2023 money it would be equivalent to £84, so those albums mentioned are cheaper than they would have been in the 70s.

Bill

Yep that fits with my memories, when I started work I was getting £20 a week as a 16 year old, £5 went to my mum for housekeeping, I would often buy a LP which were about £5 leaving me £10 to fritter away on beer and chasing the girls. I had a Sanyo all in one music centre which I adored, I had that for many years until I dropped it whilst moving into my first house.

jjbomber

I have been guilty of that, so this was an eye-opener. HMV was £15 reduced to £7.50. Amazon was £12.20 and Flea-bay was £11.74. I'll find out tomorrow how much they are at the merch stall. That is set by the record company, not the artist.
There wasn't a merch stall, as The Globe wanted everybody out by 10 o'clock. So Dan went on at 8pm and finished at 9:40. Then 20 minutes to clear the stage and leave! Got the CDs signed though!

The new Avenged Sevenfold album is £45 on double vinyl or £11 on cd. I’ve ordered from Amazon so hopefully will get an auto-rip to put me on.
I’ll probably buy the cd version at a later date. (Collection obsession)

matthewpianist

I'm very picky about what I purchase on any physical media now, but especially vinyl. It is proportionately cheaper than it was in the 80s, but still expensive when there's so much pressure on our pockets and when we also have the cheaper options of CD, download and streaming.

My most recent vinyl purchase was 'Here It Is: A Tribute To Leonard Cohen'. It's one of the best tribute sets I've come across, beautifully recorded and sounds wonderful on my turntable. It's special enough to justify the price, as are the Cat Stevens deluxe editions (for example) and new pressings of Crosby, Stills Nash (& Young) albums I've purchased previously. There's a new gatefold of 'Once Again' (Barclay James Harvest) due soon, and I love that album enough to buy it.

@DCarmi mentions CD box sets that can represent bargains, especially the case with classical music. My collection includes many of these including complete recordings of Menuhin (Warner), Bernstein (DG), Solti (Decca), Perahia (Sony), Brendel (Decca), Stern (Sony), Richter (multiple), Rachmaninov (RCA), Bergonzi (Decca), Perlmann (Sony) etc... Then there's the 'label' and orchestra sets I have, including RCA Living Stereo, Mercury Living Presence, DG111, The Decca Sound, Berlin Phil 100 years, Vienna Phil anniversary set etc... These are all beautifully presented and offer a ridiculous amount of music recorded by the cream of musicians. The relatively low prices are achieved because many of these recordings have paid for themselves several times over already. In many cases it's about squeezing whatever remaining revenue possible out of these recordings before putting many of them out of print, with the possibility of doing similar sometime in the future. Most of these sets are much better value new than secondhand because they have limited runs and demand is high. I've seen some of the sets I have being offered secondhand for hundreds of pounds. This isn't a completely new situation, because similar happened years ago with Universals' 'Great Pianists of the 20th Century series', Philips Classics' 'Complete Mozart Edition' etc.

Special editions of pop/rock albums show similar trends - Jethro Tull book editions, for example, £30 new and then often selling for £100+ once they've gone out of print. It sounds crazy, but this actually works in the labels' favour - once fans cotton onto the short lifecycle of the new product, demand is increased at point of release, and there's little to no risk of excess stock floating around. I have a big box set of Caravan's complete output which was circa £200 new but prices are going through the roof now.

When these things are reissued on vinyl they command higher prices than the alternatives because the format is trendy again, and there's a whole new audience for it - newcomers buying music for the first time, and those who sold their collections with the advent of CD. Add to this the limited capacity for pressing vinyl, and there you have it.

Last edited:
Reactions: hifi

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts