LCD Projector White Consistency

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello. Hope someone may be abke to offer their experience on this.

My Epson Tw3500 is coming up to its 3 year guarantee date. It's been a great projector but recently I noticed due to getting a Wii U that has lots of totally white menu screens that there's a bit of inconsistency where in some areas the white looks cooler and more grey / blue, and elsewhere warmer and tending toward pink. It's still white but just doesn't quite look uniform. A stripe on the left side of the screen seems to be a bit cooler, and warmer on the right.

It reminded me that a while ago with a PVR I no longer use I noticed the blue background tended toward turquoise toward the bottom right corner. I wasn't sure if it might be the light in the room but it does do it here as well.

I've cleaned the lens now, but this hasn't eliminated the issue, and while I'm not sure i don't think the projection surface would produce this, (I project onto a painted wall).

The thing is it's not a massive problem and I could live with it - it's largely unnoticeable. If LCD projectors like TVs tend not to produce a totally uniform image it's probably best for me to leave it than try to get it fixed. But if it's a developing problem or something I shouldn't accept on what is a fairly expensive item then obviously I'd want to get i tlooked at within warranty.

So I wondered are people able to give me their experience with this on this projector or other LCD models? Maybe especially people who perhaps work with projectors and have had chance to see a few differetn models at length? Your input would be much appreciated.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Didn't know the bulb could cause inconsistencies, but is less than a fifth into its expected life, so hope it isn't the bulb.

I got in touch with Epson support, and they were helpful. I've got a couple of tests to do but their initial thought was that it is the internal optics. Don't know if that is a developing problem, or if i just have noticed it more due to the new console. It's at least given me the understanding that this kind of inconsistency is not expected, which is good.

The bulb as well as the projector are covered by the three year guarantee, so I should hopefully be covered in any event, (Epson have confirmed a repair would be free under the terms of the guarantee).

Epson have been very helpful so far, and hopefully this will get sorted fairly quickly. I just tend to think that once you start messing ariound with the innards it can lead to other faults, but i need to get it sorted really. Hopefully it will be OK, and the repaired unit will have a further warranty.

Thanks again, Ian.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Didn't know the bulb could cause inconsistencies, but is less than a fifth into its expected life, so hope it isn't the bulb.

I got in touch with Epson support, and they were helpful. I've got a couple of tests to do but their initial thought was that it is the internal optics. Don't know if that is a developing problem, or if i just have noticed it more due to the new console. It's at least given me the understanding that this kind of inconsistency is not expected, which is good.

The bulb as well as the projector are covered by the three year guarantee, so I should hopefully be covered in any event, (Epson have confirmed a repair would be free under the terms of the guarantee).

Epson have been very helpful so far, and hopefully this will get sorted fairly quickly. I just tend to think that once you start messing ariound with the innards it can lead to other faults, but i need to get it sorted really. Hopefully it will be OK, and the repaired unit will have a further warranty.

Thanks again, Ian.

TRENDING THREADS