Laymans test- SD on Denon 2930 vs Denon 2500BT

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Laymans test - Denon 2930 vs 2500

One of the reasons I was worried about buying the 2500 is that I thought my current player (the 2930, with it's HQV Reon chip) would be better at playing my vast collection of DVDs, so I would be spending lots of money on a blu ray player when I didn't actually own any blu rays yet!

Anyway, I finally plucked up the courage and did the layman's test this weekend. I stuck on the DVd of Transformers. No additional processing, just Auto out of the 2500, passing straight through the amp to the tv.

I'm certainly not technical enough to understand half the jargon on these forums and I don't care what lab tests the 2500 failed. What I can say is that it blew the 2930 away! It made the 2930 look like a cheap and nasty player from Tescos. Colours were stronger and the picture almost had a 3-D feel to it. The clarity was amazing. When I objectively looked at the 2930 picture, I thought it was great and if I hadn't seen the 2500 in action, I would've been very happy with it, but now, I don't think I'll ever watch another DVD on it again! It's been relegated to the player that the kids can use!

Incidentally, my opinion was immediately backed up by the harshest of critics; a wife that couldn't care less if the picture was good or not and a 10 and 7 year old who thought is was "absolutely wicked".

I know that there are quite a few people on these forums that were worried about the SD performance of the 2500 (I know I was). All I can say is, don't worry about it! It's excellent!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Really glad you love the Denon transport - it's a stunner.

It also shows the importance of trying these things, rather than pre-judging on specs alone.

Though of course such phrases from our most recent review of the Denon DVD-2500BT should have been a hint:

"It also upscales standard-def DVDs to 1080p in scintillating style, with Training Day appearing as sharp, detailed and vibrant as we're used to from the very best standalone DVD players. " (and considering the Denon 2930 hasn't been a class-leader since 2006....)

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Yes, it's awesome. I feel bad for not being fully trusting, but there are an awful lot of people with opposing views on it's SD performance, God knows why. I think it failed quite a few of the HQV tests and, coupled with the fact it didn't appear to have any scaling chip of the same class as the Reon, it was enough to create doubt. I wish I hadn't spent so much time umming and ahing about it now!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Big Aura:
*dons Noddy hat*

what the difference between a blu-ray player and a blu-ray transport?

The transport just sends the picture and audio information on to be decoded and the like. The player does all that within the box.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but if you were sending the DVD signal with the player on 'Auto', surely it was actually your TV doing the upscaling? ÿIf you'd set the player (transport) to 1080p, then IT would have been doing the upscaling.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
No, the player was definitely converting it to 1080p (it said on the display). I believe Auto selects the resolution of the screen. Sending it as 576i needs to be manually selected. p.s my tv's scaler is not that good! I've only just managed to upscale tv through my amp to make it watchable! (well, it wasn't that bad, but it was no 2500)!

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Good afternoon to you Davo !!

Im pleased youve finally seen & trusted the light, ha I did say it was an excellent dvd player & ive always thought that the asking price for the 2500 was worth the price just for its dvd playback alone, considering a few year ago i bought the denon 3910 at £900 & although it was an excellent player espec connected via component progressive scan the 2500 is even better still.

I think on the 2500 dvd playback on some titles i.e Hancock, the strangers etc have nearly looked close to HD quality!

Its a stunner & if my better half can even notice the difference thats a revelation in itself, believe me as shes on a par with a british recording artist trying to make it in the states as it is me trying to tell her that bluray etc is better quality ha

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Sorreltiger:Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but if you were sending the DVD signal with the player on 'Auto', surely it was actually your TV doing the upscaling? ÿIf you'd set the player (transport) to 1080p, then IT would have been doing the upscaling.When u select "auto" on the denon 2500 what it does is that it automatically detects what resolution your plasma/lcd screen is then upscales it accordingly !

If you were to select 1080p on the 2500 then yes it will naturally upscale to this, so whether u select 1080p or auto its pretty much the same thing, i leave it on auto as its the default setting of the player so why not?

The tv only does the upscaling if the player is set to 576 !

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jase! Yes, well and truly seen the light! I might even get a smaller cabinet as it's the only player I need (if it weren't for the kids trying to put jam sandwiches in the disc tray!)

By the way, you were right about The Thing on Blu Ray. It's excellent!

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Davo2008:
Hi Jase! Yes, well and truly seen the light! I might even get a smaller cabinet as it's the only player I need (if it weren't for the kids trying to put jam sandwiches in the disc tray!)

By the way, you were right about The Thing on Blu Ray. It's excellent!
Ye the thing is tops mate, its brilliant in everyway !

Id watched the mummy returns on bluray as id mentioned before & i can say its an absolute amazing soundtrack dave! The DTS master audio was stunning, one of the best ive heard so far, every speaker is used to its full potential, amazing stuff !!

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Davo2008:Stop it, I can't afford to keep buying all your recommendations! (you know I will, though)!hahaha sorry Dave, im just sharing my enthusiasm ! Its also a cracking picture aswell, but the sound as to be heard to be believed lol Itll kick your system into touch ha

You oughta think about renting them Dave, it saves money.

A

Anonymous

I didnt want to read this! ive already spent loads in the last 12 months! dam

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
garethwd:I didnt want to read this! ive already spent loads in the last 12 months! damYou wont regret it, i was blown away by it, i even had to turn down my volume by a few decibels as it was also one of the loudest soundtracks ive heard.

Pure Home Cinema magic !!

A

Anonymous

The player i meant! ;) i could cope with the cost of a few blu disks but after buying a new tv and sony blu ray player not to mention a roksan kandy cdp and some new rear speakers in the last 12 i think the missis might blow a gasket if i came home with a new £650 quid player :-O

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
garethwd:The player i meant! ;) i could cope with the cost of a few blu disks but after buying a new tv and sony blu ray player not to mention a roksan kandy cdp and some new rear speakers in the last 12 i think the missis might blow a gasket if i came home with a new £650 quid player :-OThought you obviously meant the disc.

If i were you (which i know im not) i think the missis blowing a gasket or two would be worth it for the Denon 2500 ! Id even be prepared to sleep on the sofa for a month, ha

As this player is absolutely awesome & i dont say that word lightly !

A

Anonymous

Dont know about sleeping on the sofa! id be more likly sleepin with fish's im afraid! hang on.......................a plan is slowly forming in my head.....clare?? if i send you £600 pounds could you stage a comp first prize denon 2500??????????

A

Anonymous

Jase/Davo, good to see you've got your players up and running
emotion-1.gif

FYI, if you want reference sound listen to the echo game at the beginning of House of Flying daggers, staggering. Cheers.

A

Anonymous

What deinterlacing / scaling chip (or chips) does Denon use in the 2500? I've been struggling to find any details.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts