Question regarding a Denon 3700H and a monolith M3100

kobs

Aug 27, 2022
Visit site
I have a Denon 3700H in my home theater 7.1.4 with a little fosi amp for the 2 rear height channel that I would like to get rid of (it's kind of crappy). I was wondering if I bought a Monolith M3100 3X90W for the fronts and center, if it would really change anything in sound. I know the Denon would breathe a little more but where I live the monolith is $700+, I don't want to make this move if it's not going to be noticeable.

Thanks for any advice.

kobs

Aug 27, 2022
Visit site
The Denon 3700H can only power 9 channels which is why I needed the little amp to power the 2 rear heights but with the more powerful monolith amp powering the fronts and center, the AVR can be reconfigured to let the 2 rear heights back into the AVR. So only one amp but giving back more juice (breathing room) to the AVR.
My question was will the difference in sound and power be noticeable enough to account for the price of the monolith ($700+)

Pic of the back of the AVR
3700H.jpg

As you can see I can pre out all 11 channels to a separate amp but my budget is limited lol

Last edited:

Messiah

I don't think (and whilst I have this AVR, I have not looked into it so could be wrong) the front 3 channels can be re-assigned so even if you use a separate amp to power the front three, you will still need another amp for the extra height channels.

Last edited:

kobs

Aug 27, 2022
Visit site
I don't think (and whilst I have this AVR, I have not looked it so could be wrong) the front 3 channels can be re-assigned so even if you use a separate amp to power the front three, you will still need another amp for the extra height channels.
I'll check the menu today but I'm pretty sure it can be done. I'll update this post later today ; )

Edit: Yep, from the menu, either I pre out all 11 channels or... the 2 fronts or the rear height channels. The AV doesn't seem to let me pre out the center unless ALL channels are pre out and that's not going to happen loll ...11 channels amp, not even in my dreams.
The 2 channel monolith at 2X90 W is a little more affordable so I think I will do it and pre out the front speakers. My 4 heights will be powered by the AV and I will get rid of the little fosi amp

Last edited:
Reactions: Messiah

kobs

Aug 27, 2022
Visit site
Update on the Denon AV menu : Saw a video and with a 7.1.4 setup, putting the fronts in the menu as pre. in a 11 channel config. it seems "all" other channels are pre out ready. So pre outing the center (for me) will in fact bypass the AV amp. without the center being viewed as pre. in the menu.
Same as if I had say a 5 channel amp, the setup in the menu would stay the same (fronts being pre out in a 11 channel config) and I could pre out all 5 channels Ex: front, center and both surrounds.

Hope this will help someone else with that same denon menu that's not really telling you everything : )

So I ordered a monolith 3100 3X90W... Anticipation is killing me 0.0
I'll post pics when it comes

P.S. I have the link of the video but I don't know if it's allowed to post it here... Mods?

Last edited:
Reactions: Messiah

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts