Sonos Am

PBP

May 10, 2024
Visit site
I have a Sonos Amp (S2 - Black) which has blown :( Can I use a Sonos 1 Amp (White) to drive my speakers and connected via LAN Cables as speakers and AMP are in seperate rooms. I can control all from Sonos app on phone, but dont know if Sonos 1 Amp is compatiable. Have read online alot but not getting clear answer. The Sonos S2 Amp was around £500, but the Sonos Amp Gen 1 online are very cheap now so wanted some expert advice. Thank You.

Juzzie Wuzzie

I don't think Gen 1 Amp works with S2 App, although you can get lucky with some later versions that do. I have two later versions working with S2 App but I expect more luck than anything. Sonos just released a new version of the App this week, so it may change compatability.

I think if you are buying a Gen 1 Amp, you aren't guaranteed success.

PBP

May 10, 2024
Visit site
I don't think Gen 1 Amp works with S2 App, although you can get lucky with some later versions that do. I have two later versions working with S2 App but I expect more luck than anything. Sonos just released a new version of the App this week, so it may change compatability.

I think if you are buying a Gen 1 Amp, you aren't guaranteed success.
Thanks alot for your response - much appreciated. Do you mind letting me know if the Amp Gen1 you have is a specific model version or firmware version. Out of curiousity, where did you purchase from ? Does your Gen 1 Amp work with new version of app (if tried) ?

Also, Is anyone aware of another Amp which is compatible with Sonos setup connected via LAN ? Thanks

Last edited:

Juzzie Wuzzie

I run two Gen1 amps - both purchased off of eBay with a description of "... works with S2 ..." so. They both do, so no need to return either to the seller as were as described. To be fair, one is running the surround speakers in my 5.1 set-up, so probably doesn't need too much processing power.

I won't know if they work with the new update as not home for another couple of weeks. I'm not too fussed in a way as long as the surrounds keep working (as the other unit runs some ceiling kitchen speakers which never get used, so I might replace with LED lights).

Why do you need to connect with LAN? All the Sonos products are designed to work wirelessly and the only time you need LAN is a) for set up / troubleshooting and b) for surrounds connected to a soundbar. You should be able to put your amp in the same room as the speakers and run it sans-LAN.

PBP

May 10, 2024
Visit site
I run two Gen1 amps - both purchased off of eBay with a description of "... works with S2 ..." so. They both do, so no need to return either to the seller as were as described. To be fair, one is running the surround speakers in my 5.1 set-up, so probably doesn't need too much processing power.

I won't know if they work with the new update as not home for another couple of weeks. I'm not too fussed in a way as long as the surrounds keep working (as the other unit runs some ceiling kitchen speakers which never get used, so I might replace with LED lights).

Why do you need to connect with LAN? All the Sonos products are designed to work wirelessly and the only time you need LAN is a) for set up / troubleshooting and b) for surrounds connected to a soundbar. You should be able to put your amp in the same room as the speakers and run it sans-LAN.
I have a small plant room where are connections terminate so the Amp is physically upstairs and connected to celing speakers directly via wire through walls and floors. The Amp is plugged into a network switch so I can remotely connect and control. The sound bar is also plugged via ethernet into the switch.

Reactions: Juzzie Wuzzie

TRENDING THREADS