lauryn hill - mtv unplugged 2002

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Native_bon said:
Hum.. When I posted about music on this section I remember I was told to go to the music section.. It is one rule for all?

Yeah, everybody hates you, go eat some worms.

I expect nobody noticed, I don't notice because I just use the Active Topics button, so the sub-forums kind of become irrelevant.
WOW.. .. Sounds like you have been eating some..*biggrin*

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
My reaction is to do with the decline of Western culture which is to my mind epitomized by this type of music.

Chris

People have been complaining about the decline of western culture since about 700BC. Of course, the complaints were way better back then.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Most music is repetitive, that's not a problem unless it just repeats over an over with little or no variation. That just demonstrates a lack of imagination.

My reaction is to do with the decline of Western culture which is to my mind epitomized by this type of music.

well done, you are officially old. They said the same thing about rock and roll.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Which music is repetitive? she is innovative, soulful, fresh even as a rapper. She improvises in her singing more than any soul singer out there today. Also very natural at it.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Vladimir said:
Why is rap appaling??

Well certain attitudes towards women and tha po-lice found in some of it leaves something to be desired but beyond that there's nothing to be appalled about particularly, most of the criticisms are the very same ones that are usually levelled at every new genre of music, "it's just noise", "there's no tune", "it's the work of the Devil", "You have a woman's legs" and so forth, all of which could earlier be heard levelled at the likes of rock and roll, heavy metal, even Jazz.

What IS interesting is that it's one of the few genres where one can point at one song and state, more or less definitively, that this was the first of its genre, namely Rapper's Delight by The Sugar Hill Gang, there aren't many genres you can state that about; did Black Sabbath invent Heavy Metal? Perhaps, but name the first ever Rock and Roll track or first ever Jazz track? Difficult.

Hmmmmm...... Sorry, the origin tale is slightly off.

'rap' originated out of Jamaica were it was referred to as 'toasting' - coming out of the reggae/ska dancehalls way back in the 60's - Lee Perry I think was one of the first to put it on vinyl.

To add the 'rapping' on this album is more poetry, social commentary. Strangely very relevant to the world today.

This album is weirdly relevant.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
The_Lhc said:
Vladimir said:
Why is rap appaling?

Well certain attitudes towards women and tha po-lice found in some of it leaves something to be desired but beyond that there's nothing to be appalled about particularly, most of the criticisms are the very same ones that are usually levelled at every new genre of music, "it's just noise", "there's no tune", "it's the work of the Devil", "You have a woman's legs" and so forth, all of which could earlier be heard levelled at the likes of rock and roll, heavy metal, even Jazz.

What IS interesting is that it's one of the few genres where one can point at one song and state, more or less definitively, that this was the first of its genre, namely Rapper's Delight by The Sugar Hill Gang, there aren't many genres you can state that about; did Black Sabbath invent Heavy Metal? Perhaps, but name the first ever Rock and Roll track or first ever Jazz track? Difficult.

'rap' originated out of Jamaica were it was referred to as 'toasting' - coming out of the reggae/ska dancehalls way back in the 60's - Lee Perry I think was one of the first to put it on vinyl.

I never said it didn't but few people, if any, would consider that to be modern rap or hip-hop, in the same way they wouldn't consider any of the other influences that hip-hop drew upon to be hip-hop. The same as rock'n'roll isn't considered Heavy Metal but you can still draw a line of influence directly back from today's metal all the way back to Chuck Berry and the likes but you wouldn't consider them to be Metal.

Rapper's Delight is, arguably, the first track to bring all those influences together into what we consider to be modern hip-hop today. If there's an earlier track that does that then I'm not aware of it and I've never heard any "expert" (of which I am not) mention anything earlier than that either.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Thompsonuxb said:
??

The_Lhc said:
Vladimir said:
Why is rap appaling??

I never said it didn't but few people, if any, would consider that to be modern rap or hip-hop, in the same way they wouldn't consider any of the other influences that hip-hop drew upon to be hip-hop. The same as rock'n'roll isn't considered Heavy Metal but you can still draw a line of influence directly back from today's metal all the way back to Chuck Berry and the likes but you wouldn't consider them to be Metal.

Rapper's Delight is, arguably, the first track to bring all those influences together into what we consider to be modern hip-hop today. If there's an earlier track that does that then I'm not aware of it and I've never heard any "expert" (of which I am not) mention anything earlier than that either.

We need to be sat down, face to face for this discussion....yeah.

I hear your point Lhc, commercially I'd agree with you, but that was my time and i remember the arguments from back in the day.....school days.

But Jamaicans brought that 'style' to the US/UK neighbour hoods has immigrants.

Missy Elliot I recall stating this was one of her influences in an interview.

I have no links..... :-D

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Well I like her voice a lot , she can sing and has a real talent but most importantly it is very obvious that she sings straight from her heart and she loves performing , bringing joy into peoples lives .

She gets a thumbs up from me .*good*

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol......

You see, I ain't evil.... ;-)
Electro said:
Well I like her voice a lot , she can sing and has a real talent but most importantly it is very obvious that she sings straight from her heart and she loves performing , bringing joy into peoples lives .

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol missed this......

There is a good reason for that by the way.....

I'm cool...... :p

Native_bon said:
Hum.. When I posted about music on this section I remember I was told to go to the music section.. It is one rule for all?  All the same love her music always will.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:

Just a shame she doesn't appear to actually do any of that any more.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Funnily she explains this on the album.

She shares but is not there for 'our entertainment' - she almost sounds like prisoner of her own enlightenment to a degree.

The very thing she protests.....

It's a cool album.

The_Lhc said:
Electro said:

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Electro said:

I haven't listened to anything other that the "unplugged" songs on youtube so I base my previous post only on that , if she has sold herself out since then it's a real shame .

I just played a recent song from her and I hit stop within 15 seconds , I now know why you said

"Just a shame she doesn't appear to actually do any of that any more." *sad*

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
The_Lhc said:
Electro said:

I haven't listened to anything other that the "unplugged" songs on youtube so I base my previous post only on that , if she has sold herself out since then it's a real shame .

I just played a recent song from her and I hit stop within 15 seconds , I now know why you said

"Just a shame she doesn't appear to actually do any of that any more." *sad*

Well, no, I meant she doesn't really release anything anymore, she was supposed to release a new album through Sony in 2013 and that never happened, it's been 15 years or more since an "official" album release, she's had a few singles out occasionally in that time but, other than some erratic live appearances she really isn't doing anything much (that the public gets to hear at least, apparently she has hundreds of songs recorded that haven't seen the light of day).

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Lol missed this......

Native_bon said:
Hum.. When I posted about music on this section I remember I was told to go to the music section.. It is one rule for all? All the same love her music always will.
Was suppose to come across as a joke. I have been told my jokes dnt seat well. *dash1*

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
!????

Vladimir said:
She is as enlightened as my dog when he looks for the ball I prettended to throw. Her singing is less pleasant than scratching glass on a blackboard. She raps on one song, everything else is folk and  soul. And everyone's main comment is they loath rap as a genre due to decline of western civilization.

Am I trapped in the twilight zone? *scratch_one-s_head*

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Going from the start I came across your post, it genuinely made me laugh out. If it's any consolation. .... :)

Native_bon said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Lol missed this......

Native_bon said:
Hum.. When I posted about music on this section I remember I was told to go to the music section.. It is one rule for all?  All the same love her music always will.
Was suppose to come across as a joke. I have been told my jokes dnt seat well. *dash1*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The Enlightenment was throwing off religion and mythology to replace it with reason, logic and acceptance of change. She is praising religion and mythology. She is the opposite of enlightened and very confused.

She gets thumbs up as an antiwar album.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Going from the start I came across your post, it genuinely made me laugh out. If it's any consolation. .... :)

Native_bon said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Lol missed this......

Native_bon said:
Hum.. When I posted about music on this section I remember I was told to go to the music section.. It is one rule for all? All the same love her music always will.
Seems I got my mojo back
thumbs_up.gif

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
She is as enlightened as my dog when he looks for the ball I prettended to throw. Her singing is less pleasant than scratching glass on a blackboard. She raps on one song, everything else is folk and soul. And everyone's main comment is they loath rap as a genre due to decline of Western civilization?

What you are essentially saying is that infiltration of music originating from African slaves and their decendants is ruining Western civilization.

Am I trapped in the twilight zone? *scratch_one-s_head*

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Hold on, steady on now Vlad.

don't fall into the trap of getting sucked in too deep, its an album, one person's comment on their own opinions and views.

I don't know the woman but found the album cool, it's an interesting listen.

It won't change my life nor the lives of many born in less privileged surroundings.

To a degree she is lucky she can express herself in this way, privileged. Don't hold it against her.

But let's not look to deeply at the woman and enjoy what this album offers

You don't have to like it or ever listen to it again for that matter..

Like my old man use to say to me 'if you can do better, then go on..... Or move on.'

Vladimir said:
The Enlightenment was throwing off religion and mythology to replace it with reason, logic and acceptance of change. She is praising religion and mythology. She is the opposite of enlightened and very confused.?

She gets thumbs up as an antiwar album.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to discuss about it since you suggested me to listen to it. I did and now I have an opinion about it. If it's not consisted solely out of praise, should I just say nothing and move on?

angry-no.jpg

Her voice aside, anyone else heard the lyrics? I dislike the fact her racial empowering is done through religion. Her futile intellect has determined that everything modern is the work of the devil and we should all rush back to church for some resolution. Yeah... no thanks.

My point is, her performance or message is not perfect, although superficially entertaining and enjoyable. Out of everything one can criticize as flaws of this album, throwing in blanket statements "I hate rap" as a commentary is a bit... weird? I think Matt's comment was spot on.

FWIW I am a big Gentleman fan. The performance and message (more pantheistic and universal) I admire, despite me being atheist and not into reggae. Both his MTV Unplugged and his Cologne Live.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Fair enough but let's put it into context.

Listening to the album one can draw many conclusions. Some will find inspiration some like yourself will hear the evil, see it as a reversed ism.

I get it.....

But let's face it if all the lights went out tomorrow she'd be useless....well unless we were having a sing a long around a fire.

In the context of a piece of music it's cool because she can sing and delivers. ... No, provokes emotion in the listener'

I have views, opinions too - but this was not the place. It's a nice album - system tester imo, worth sharing.

Vladimir said:
I'd like to discuss about it since you suggested me to listen to it. I did and now I have an opinion about it. If it's not consisted solely out of praise, should I just say nothing and move on??

Her voice aside, anyone else heard the lyrics? I dislike the fact her racial empowering is done through religion. Her futile intellect has determined that everything modern is the work of the devil and we should all rush back to church for some resolution. Yeah... no thanks.

My point is, her performance or message is not perfect, although superficially entertaining and enjoyable. Out of everything one can criticize as flaws of this album, throwing in blanket statements "I hate rap" as a commentary is a bit... weird? I think Matt's comment was spot on.?

FWIW I am a big Gentleman fan. The performance and the message I admire, despite being atheist and not reggae fan. 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts