lauryn hill - mtv unplugged 2002

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Hum.. When I posted about music on this section I remember I was told to go to the music section.. It is one rule for all? All the same love her music always will.

That must have been PP policing you. You can relax now.

The_Lhc said:
Just as well she doesn't do any rapping then.

Well she does one rap song. But it doesn't involve 'the bitches', 'money on my mind', 'in da club' and 'killing the homies'.

DougK said:
Thank you kindly, my mistake. My personal preference is that of a more polished performance.

Well I wouldn't call the MTV Unplugged album a polished performance either. But it is pleasan't and enjoyable to an extent.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
TrevC said:
Aren't they the group that did that appalling cover of "killing me softly"?

yup, that be them. They only had one album. However, to give them credit they used their fame and cash in good ways... Taken from el wiki

"Since their inception, a central part of the Fugees endeavor was promoting the concept of black empowerment. The band's members, both collectively and individually, have used their song lyrics and musical influence, advocating for social change. The multi-platinum success of The Score enabled the Fugees to increase the impact of their activism. They organized and performed at hip-hop charity festivals like Harlem’s Hoodshock where the proceeds were used to fund a non-profit youth summer camp in New Jersey. They also turned their recording studio, The Booga Basement, into a transitional house for young Haitian refugees immigrating to the United States.[4]"

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
DougK said:
The_Lhc said:
Covenanter said:
"Rap" makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach

Really? That wins today's prize for "most idiotic comment". It actually makes you feel nauseous does it? Makes you come out in a cold sweat because you think you're going to vomit yes? No, thought not.

I'm not great fan of rap, there's some good, some bad, like all genres but comments like that are simply ridiculous.

I'll let the Covenater speak for himself, as I'm sure he will, he is far more articulate than I.

My comments on your post is: No comment on this forum is ridiculous or idiotic! It's people like you, with your opinionated views that make me wonder why I really bother to visit this forum. It's just so full of peeing contests from bully-boys and snobs.

Ah, so I'm opinionated and a snob but Covenater was just being perfectly reasonable and rational with his comment? Ok.

Well, actually, no, it's not ok, if he'd just said "I don't like rap", I wouldn't have commented, I don't care if he likes rap or not but he didn't, he said it makes him "sick to his stomach". That IS a ridiculous thing to say, utterly ridiculous, it clearly doesn't invoke any kind of physical reaction like that in him, so not only is it ridiculous, it's a lie. A total, bare-faced lie for no other reason than to try to make HIMSELF look more intelligent, more educated, and better than those scum that dare to listen to such disgusting, uneducated, urban trash as rap. THAT'S a snob. It's exactly the kind of over the top, emotional reaction that people have to absolutely EVERYTHING these days that makes me want to give up on the human race, it's that kind of complete lack of rational thought process that causes all the trouble in the world, the sort of thing that really does make you sick to your stomach, not a genre of music.

So yes, it's idiotic, more than that, it's pathetic and infantile and designed solely to puff up his own ego. Why are people so narrow-minded, so unable to move out of their comfort zone to try anything new (if a 30+ year old genre of music can be described as "new")? It's really quite sad, if anything I feel sorry for people like that, you're missing out on so much by clinging to your out-dated ideas of what's "good" and "bad".

Wow! I bet it feels good to get that off your chest. Which is to speak metaphorically because it wasn't actually on your chest. Which is in turn the same as "feeling sick to the pit of your stomach", a metaphorical way of expressing extreme distaste.

I'm sorry but I do see little merit in a lot of contemporary culture. That's a judgement and I think I'm allowed to express it. If you think that's snobbish, that's fine, your views are yours to hold.

Chris

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Wow.....

Seriously what's going on with some of you?

Why all the hostility, every thread now seems to spiral into this type of nonsense.

If pointless sarcastic threads aren't being generated , simple threads are being ruined by the behaviour of too many of you.

C'mon, it's getting silly, cut it out.

TrevC

Covenanter said:
The_Lhc said:
DougK said:
The_Lhc said:
Covenanter said:
"Rap" makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach

Really? That wins today's prize for "most idiotic comment". It actually makes you feel nauseous does it? Makes you come out in a cold sweat because you think you're going to vomit yes? No, thought not.

I'm not great fan of rap, there's some good, some bad, like all genres but comments like that are simply ridiculous.

I'll let the Covenater speak for himself, as I'm sure he will, he is far more articulate than I.

My comments on your post is: No comment on this forum is ridiculous or idiotic! It's people like you, with your opinionated views that make me wonder why I really bother to visit this forum. It's just so full of peeing contests from bully-boys and snobs.

Ah, so I'm opinionated and a snob but Covenater was just being perfectly reasonable and rational with his comment? Ok.

Well, actually, no, it's not ok, if he'd just said "I don't like rap", I wouldn't have commented, I don't care if he likes rap or not but he didn't, he said it makes him "sick to his stomach". That IS a ridiculous thing to say, utterly ridiculous, it clearly doesn't invoke any kind of physical reaction like that in him, so not only is it ridiculous, it's a lie. A total, bare-faced lie for no other reason than to try to make HIMSELF look more intelligent, more educated, and better than those scum that dare to listen to such disgusting, uneducated, urban trash as rap. THAT'S a snob. It's exactly the kind of over the top, emotional reaction that people have to absolutely EVERYTHING these days that makes me want to give up on the human race, it's that kind of complete lack of rational thought process that causes all the trouble in the world, the sort of thing that really does make you sick to your stomach, not a genre of music.

So yes, it's idiotic, more than that, it's pathetic and infantile and designed solely to puff up his own ego. Why are people so narrow-minded, so unable to move out of their comfort zone to try anything new (if a 30+ year old genre of music can be described as "new")? It's really quite sad, if anything I feel sorry for people like that, you're missing out on so much by clinging to your out-dated ideas of what's "good" and "bad".

Wow! I bet it feels good to get that off your chest. Which is to speak metaphorically because it wasn't actually on your chest. Which is in turn the same as "feeling sick to the pit of your stomach", a metaphorical way of expressing extreme distaste.

I'm sorry but I do see little merit in a lot of contemporary culture. That's a judgement and I think I'm allowed to express it. If you think that's snobbish, that's fine, your views are yours to hold.

Chris

Rap is appalling, but then so is most other so called music played on the radio. 'Tuned' howling noises that start on their own, then a heavy beat is added, then they end with an echoed bit of howling. They all sound exactly the same as if produced by robots.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I have to confess never rated the Fugees, her voice and her voice alone was the draw for me.

That Blunted on reality'.....Not my speed ....

Helmut80 said:
They actually had 2 albums. Their debut, 'Blunted on Reality' is worth a listen too. much more gritty than The Score. 

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Why is rap appaling?

Well certain attitudes towards women and tha po-lice found in some of it leaves something to be desired but beyond that there's nothing to be appalled about particularly, most of the criticisms are the very same ones that are usually levelled at every new genre of music, "it's just noise", "there's no tune", "it's the work of the Devil", "You have a woman's legs" and so forth, all of which could earlier be heard levelled at the likes of rock and roll, heavy metal, even Jazz.

What IS interesting is that it's one of the few genres where one can point at one song and state, more or less definitively, that this was the first of its genre, namely Rapper's Delight by The Sugar Hill Gang, there aren't many genres you can state that about; did Black Sabbath invent Heavy Metal? Perhaps, but name the first ever Rock and Roll track or first ever Jazz track? Difficult.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
Rap is appalling, but then so is most other so called music played on the radio.

Tell me about it, I wrote a strongly worded email to Radio 3 regarding their output only last week!

'Tuned' howling noises that start on their own, then a heavy beat is added, then they end with an echoed bit of howling.

"Howling"? No idea... *pardon*

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:

But that's my point, why such "extreme distaste"? What's the point of that, you don't like it, fine, there's no problem with that, I don't much like 60s music, or folk (although The Yetties album covers ARE hilarious!) or even contemporary singer-songwriter type fair but that just bores me (you've heard one heartfelt youth strumming an acoustic guitar, you've heard them all IMO), I don't experience "extreme distaste", I just turn it over and forget about it.

I just don't understand why you would feel so vexed by it, why expend the energy in getting so worked up about something like that? Just ignore it, it doesn't require any more effort than that, unless you're trying to show that your taste in music is somehow better than anyone elses? Which is where I came in...

I'm sorry but I do see little merit in a lot of contemporary culture. That's a judgement and I think I'm allowed to express it.

Of course and if you'd expressed it like that I wouldn't have said a word.

If you think that's snobbish, that's fine, your views are yours to hold.

I think it's more snobbish than anything I might have said, the accusation of which is what prompted my second, rather longer response. I don't really understand how accusing someone of snobbery can itself be considered snobbish, although that particular point isn't directed at you as it wasn't you that made that accusation towards me of course.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Covenanter said:

But that's my point, why such "extreme distaste"? What's the point of that, you don't like it, fine, there's no problem with that, I don't much like 60s music, or folk (although The Yetties album covers ARE hilarious!) or even contemporary singer-songwriter type fair but that just bores me (you've heard one heartfelt youth strumming an acoustic guitar, you've heard them all IMO), I don't experience "extreme distaste", I just turn it over and forget about it.

I just don't understand why you would feel so vexed by it, why expend the energy in getting so worked up about something like that? Just ignore it, it doesn't require any more effort than that, unless you're trying to show that your taste in music is somehow better than anyone elses? Which is where I came in...

I'm sorry but I do see little merit in a lot of contemporary culture. That's a judgement and I think I'm allowed to express it.

Of course and if you'd expressed it like that I wouldn't have said a word.

If you think that's snobbish, that's fine, your views are yours to hold.

I think it's more snobbish than anything I might have said, the accusation of which is what prompted my second, rather longer response. I don't really understand how accusing someone of snobbery can itself be considered snobbish, although that particular point isn't directed at you as it wasn't you that made that accusation towards me of course.

I didn't get excited! That was you.
regular_smile.gif
I just expressed the feeling that the music engendered in me. The Jeremy Kyle Show has the same effect. (I only watched one to see what it was about. That was enough.)

Chris

TrevC

The_Lhc said:
TrevC said:
Rap is appalling, but then so is most other so called music played on the radio.

Tell me about it, I wrote a strongly worded email to Radio 3 regarding their output only last week!

'Tuned' howling noises that start on their own, then a heavy beat is added, then they end with an echoed bit of howling.

There's a song called 'Tik Tok' by Ke$ha that typifies the sort of awful crud I'm on about. Katy Perry is another culprit.

You know I wasn't talking about Radio 3.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:
I didn't get excited!

Oh, come come, "it makes me sick to my stomach" isn't exactly a calm response is it?

That was you. I just expressed the feeling that the music engendered in me.

Well, I still don't get it, if you'd said it was boring or something I could have understood, the nature and construction of hip-hop is obviously repetitive and I can see how people could find it tedious but a reaction on that scale, I don't get it.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
The_Lhc said:
TrevC said:

There's a song called 'Tik Tok' by Ke$ha that typifies the sort of awful crud I'm on about. Katy Perry is another culprit.

So the howling refers to the vocal rather than the music, ok, I wasn't sure, it sounded like you were describing some sort of rave music.

You know I wasn't talking about Radio 3.

There's a lot more on the radio than just those sort of stations though.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
When you spread your belly an der schönen blauen Donau, you make classical music. When you are a slave at the shores of the Mississippi delta, you make blues. When you are ghetto boy at the projects and your life is consisted of surviving the next street block, you rap.

Ke$ha is not a true representative for the rap genre. I'd call that pop before I classify it as rap.

Liquid Swords and Only Built 4 Cuban Linx are proper.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Covenanter said:
I didn't get excited!

Oh, come come, "it makes me sick to my stomach" isn't exactly a calm response is it?

That was you. I just expressed the feeling that the music engendered in me.

Well, I still don't get it, if you'd said it was boring or something I could have understood, the nature and construction of hip-hop is obviously repetitive and I can see how people could find it tedious but a reaction on that scale, I don't get it.

Most music is repetitive, that's not a problem unless it just repeats over an over with little or no variation. That just demonstrates a lack of imagination.

My reaction is to do with the decline of Western culture which is to my mind epitomized by this type of music.

Chris

PS I'd never heard of "Tick tock" but I like the lyrics which touch depths of inanity I didn't realise were possible. I'd post them here if the website worked.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Most music is repetitive, that's not a problem unless it just repeats over an over with little or no variation. That just demonstrates a lack of imagination.

Simple melodies and repetitive rhytms are the main ingredient for creating a meditative state. It's done in all music genres, especially for the common man to help eleviate suffering endured in everyday life.

Is there much difference between Louis Quatorze and Jay-Z? Not in my book. Both represent obscene decadence in their own culturally determined way.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Most music is repetitive, that's not a problem unless it just repeats over an over with little or no variation.

Oddly enough that's one of the criticisms I have of James Brown's music, the staccato riffs hammering away over and over and over drive me to distraction (it's ok for a minute or two but some of the tracks just go on for far too long) but that's the very invention that many people hail him as a genius for. Some of his stuff is very enjoyable but other tracks just don't do it for me.

The film's very good incidentally.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts