lauryn hill - mtv unplugged 2002

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Discovered this gem. 13 tracks over 2 discs unplugged.

She plays the guitar herself and it's live.

Very raw - in small doses its......actually try it through your big system let me know what you think.

Girl can't play a guitar but she had a voice. If you can take a little preacheness check it out.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Some girls, some girls are only about

That thing, that thing...
sing.gif

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Track 7 disc 2 - a cover of Bob Marley's 'so much things to say'..... I had to turn it up!

In small doses she is fantastic.

Many thanks for starting the thread. "Rap" makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach but his girl can sing. A true discovery.

Chris

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
This performance is folk and soul, unlike The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill which is hip hop. Rap is nowhere in sight. *new_russian*

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Enjoy...... ;-)

Covenanter said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Track 7 disc 2 - a cover of Bob Marley's 'so much things to say'..... I had to turn it up!

In small doses she is fantastic.

Many thanks for starting the thread.  "Rap" makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach but his girl can sing.  A true discovery.

Chris

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
IMO live performance is not Lauryns best. Her voice is breaking up and her singing is poor. I prefer her studio albums for this reason but I also love the intimate atmosphere of MTV's unplugged recordings.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Funnily enough, that's why I like this album - its raw.

She fluffs her lyrics, shows her limitations on the guitar even has to start over on intros.

You hear her ad libbing and getting pretty 'personal' you hear the emotion.

Its real, not overly rehearsed - the production on the CD is again spot on. Sounds excellent.

Like I said in small doses (1 or 2 tracks at a time) you find you want more.....

When she's old and grey she'll look back and regret not doing more.

Vladimir said:
IMO live performance is not Lauryns best. Her voice is breaking up and her singing is poor. I prefer her studio albums for this reason but I also love the intimate atmosphere of MTV's unplugged recordings.

D

Deleted member 108165

I loathe Rap. Lauryn does absolutely nothing for me, can't see what all the fuss is about.

Now someone like Lara Fabian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj4-dG92Umo

or, Donna Summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mOQ45rHY98

To name but two, then Yes!!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:
"Rap" makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach

Really? That wins today's prize for "most idiotic comment". It actually makes you feel nauseous does it? Makes you come out in a cold sweat because you think you're going to vomit yes? No, thought not.

I'm not great fan of rap, there's some good, some bad, like all genres but comments like that are simply ridiculous.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Hum.. When I posted about music on this section I remember I was told to go to the music section.. It is one rule for all?

Yeah, everybody hates you, go eat some worms.

I expect nobody noticed, I don't notice because I just use the Active Topics button, so the sub-forums kind of become irrelevant.

D

Deleted member 108165

The_Lhc said:
DougK said:
I loathe Rap.

Just as well she doesn't do any rapping then.

Well if "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" is hip-hop then I'm not much a fan of this either. Maybe I'm just too old to get into it!! None of this does anything for me, but if others hear something they like then that's okay; just not my cup of tea.

D

Deleted member 108165

The_Lhc said:
Covenanter said:

Really? That wins today's prize for "most idiotic comment". It actually makes you feel nauseous does it? Makes you come out in a cold sweat because you think you're going to vomit yes? No, thought not.

I'm not great fan of rap, there's some good, some bad, like all genres but comments like that are simply ridiculous.

I'll let the Covenater speak for himself, as I'm sure he will, he is far more articulate than I.

My comments on your post is: No comment on this forum is ridiculous or idiotic! It's people like you, with your opinionated views that make me wonder why I really bother to visit this forum. It's just so full of peeing contests from bully-boys and snobs.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
DougK said:
The_Lhc said:
DougK said:
I loathe Rap.

Well if "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" is hip-hop then I'm not much a fan of this either. Maybe I'm just too old to get into it!! None of this does anything for me, but if others hear something they like then that's okay; just not my cup of tea.

I think everyone was referring to the MTV Unplugged album to be honest.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
DougK said:
The_Lhc said:
Covenanter said:

I'll let the Covenater speak for himself, as I'm sure he will, he is far more articulate than I.

My comments on your post is: No comment on this forum is ridiculous or idiotic! It's people like you, with your opinionated views that make me wonder why I really bother to visit this forum. It's just so full of peeing contests from bully-boys and snobs.

Ah, so I'm opinionated and a snob but Covenater was just being perfectly reasonable and rational with his comment? Ok.

Well, actually, no, it's not ok, if he'd just said "I don't like rap", I wouldn't have commented, I don't care if he likes rap or not but he didn't, he said it makes him "sick to his stomach". That IS a ridiculous thing to say, utterly ridiculous, it clearly doesn't invoke any kind of physical reaction like that in him, so not only is it ridiculous, it's a lie. A total, bare-faced lie for no other reason than to try to make HIMSELF look more intelligent, more educated, and better than those scum that dare to listen to such disgusting, uneducated, urban trash as rap. THAT'S a snob. It's exactly the kind of over the top, emotional reaction that people have to absolutely EVERYTHING these days that makes me want to give up on the human race, it's that kind of complete lack of rational thought process that causes all the trouble in the world, the sort of thing that really does make you sick to your stomach, not a genre of music.

So yes, it's idiotic, more than that, it's pathetic and infantile and designed solely to puff up his own ego. Why are people so narrow-minded, so unable to move out of their comfort zone to try anything new (if a 30+ year old genre of music can be described as "new")? It's really quite sad, if anything I feel sorry for people like that, you're missing out on so much by clinging to your out-dated ideas of what's "good" and "bad".

D

Deleted member 108165

The_Lhc said:
DougK said:
The_Lhc said:
DougK said:
I loathe Rap.

I think everyone was referring to the MTV Unplugged album to be honest.

Thank you kindly, my mistake. My personal preference is that of a more polished performance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts