Latest speaker group test

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Without giving too much away about the new magazine and the results within, was it really fair to put the following test together:

KEF Q700's (RRP £1000)

Spendor A5 (RRp £1500)

Kudos X2 (RRP £1350)

Totem Arro (RRP £1200)

Or are you just testing out the KEF moto, 'a class above'?

Surely the Q900's (RRP £1200) would have been better placed?????

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
As well as testing a pair of floorstanding KEF Qs after the Q300s had performed so well, we wanted to test a group of reasonably compact floorstanders. The Q900s are not, by any stretch, compact, so we went with the Q700s instead.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I would totally agree with you that the KEF Q900's are far from compact.....

Didn't read the title correctly, and as you have mentioned it is a 'compact floorstander speaker' test.......

Saying that I would have loved the MA RX8's to have been part of that test, as they are the same price, and I assume compact enough???

As for your comments on the Q700's......I reckon the Q500's may be 'under the same banner' as them, but maybe to a lesser extent. Although I find it depends on what music your listening to.
emotion-5.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:

Didn't read the title correctly, and as you have mentioned it is a 'compact floorstander speaker' test.......

Saying that I would have loved the MA RX8's to have been part of that test, as they are the same price, and I assume compact enough???

As for your comments on the Q700's......I reckon the Q500's may be 'under the same banner' as them, but maybe to a lesser extent. Although I find it depends on what music your listening to.
emotion-5.gif

The RX8s are bigger than compact surely. I saw the Spendors recently and they are titchy!

RX8 - 960x275x388
A5 - 790x165x250

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:Gerrardasnails:I saw the Spendors recently and they are titchy!

The A5? Yes they are and Spendor are bringing the even smaller A3 floorstander to the Bristol show!

Yep, I just added the dimensions in my previous post.

To be honest, they were a little too small for me. However, I can see how great they would be for a lot of people who have space issues. Very nice looking too.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Pistol Pete1:

emotion-5.gif

The RX8s are bigger than compact surely. I saw the Spendors recently and they are titchy! RX8 - 960x275x388 A5 - 790x165x250

Ok, the RX8's are slightly bigger than the Q700's (92 x 21 x 30).........but still maybe a tad too big for this, I guess.....

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:Gerrardasnails:Pistol Pete1:

emotion-5.gif

The RX8s are bigger than compact surely. I saw the Spendors recently and they are titchy! RX8 - 960x275x388 A5 - 790x165x250

Ok, the RX8's are slightly bigger than the Q700's (92 x 21 x 30).........but still maybe a tad too big for this, I guess.....

Pete, that might not sound a lot but adding 6.5cm to the width and nearly 9cm to the depth is a substantial amount and they are 4cm taller. Around 30% bigger?

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
It is bloody amazing, percentage wise, what a few centimetres do in volume terms(no jokes please-serious maths statement).

It isnt something you normally sit down and work out. (unless you are bored at work,ahem)

Edit -OK- 5% smaller (still bored but it has passed some time)

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Ok, maybe the Quad 22L2 speaker then.....that muct be the right size???

Simon......one more question:

Were they single wired or biwired/amped for the test???

Thanks....

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Pistol Pete1:Gerrardasnails:Pistol Pete1:

emotion-5.gif

Pete, that might not sound a lot but adding 6.5cm to the width and nearly 9cm to the depth is a substantial amount and they are 4cm taller. Around 30% bigger?

Ok the KEF XQ30's then? 860 x 190 x 247mm, which would fit perfectly into this test, and as they are similar in price as the other's too.......
emotion-3.gif

Say no more.......
emotion-5.gif

Andrew Everard:As is usual, we would have tried all wiring configurations.

May I ask a question about wiring? looking back through many of your mags since 2004, WHFI used to highly recommend bi-wiring with most speakers, but over the past two years or so, the aforementioned wiring has appeared to have gone by the way side. Is there any reason for this?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
No strategic reasons.

As we said, we try it both ways (if possible) and report on any notable findings.

Products change, too - fact is, fewer speakers these days are designed to be bi-wireable.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd need to ask the test team that. But it's irrelevant - if we'd had both sets of KEFs in, they would have gone in the test if they'd both fit the price/size criteria.

Fact is, we simply didn't rate the KEF Q700 speakers as above average - that would have been the same if we'd reviewed them as a standalone First Test; the star rating and conclusions would have been exactly the same.

I'm puzzled as to why people are being so defensive!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
More shocked than defensive, to be honest.

Shocked because:

1) The only 'compact floorstander' in the Q series, is really the Q500's.

2) I, and others, have heard the KEF 'Q' series, and I know that people are buying them instead of MA RX's, B&W 600 series, etc. All are 5 star products.

3) The KEF XQ30 are compact speakers, and are in the price point that the other speakers were. Perhaps, therefore, a better match in this test.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
I, and others, have heard the KEF 'Q' series, and I know that people are buying them instead of MA RX's, B&W 600 series, etc. All are 5 star products.

Totally respect the opinion of anyone who's heard the speakers and decided to buy them - enjoy
emotion-21.gif

But to refer to them as five-star products (in a specific WHF sense) is something only our test team can do. We obviously love the Q300 speakers - they got five stars in both their First Test and a Group Test, beating some tough competition from just the ranges your mention, but we simply didn't feel (again, after much comparative listening) that the Q700 speakers are as impressive.

It's fairly common for speakers within a range to get different star ratings. Not only are they up against different competitors at each price point, but different form-factors can mean different performance from the drivers/designs involved.

Again, going back to the B&W 600 series and Monitor Audio ranges you mention - neither received five stars across the board.

Neither, indeed, did KEF's previous iQ range - where one model was a double Award winner and another got three stars.

As I say, it's typical to encounter this kind of variation, so don't understand why this example should be seen as exceptional.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts