Speaker advice for large room... On a budget...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi Ed,

Just bumped into these Cabasse Clippers, which are sold in Zingem (near Ghent), Belgium. 540 EUR for the pair. Within reach for you?

EDIT: on closer look, not really mint condition anymore... But, if you're r e a l l y interested, I could maybe contact the guy to see them in the flesh and make some more pictures for you (it's pretty close for me).

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Hi Ed,

Just bumped into these Cabasse Clippers, which are sold in Zingem (near Ghent), Belgium. 540 EUR for the pair. Within reach for you?

EDIT: on closer look, not really mint condition anymore... But, if you're r e a l l y interested, I could maybe contact the guy to see them in the flesh and make some more pictures for you (it's pretty close for me).

One woofer cone is damaged and both are due for replacing the foam suspension. If you get the cabinets refurbished and woofers replaced, the price of 550e easily will exceede double from that.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
DocG said:
Hi Ed,

One woofer cone is damaged and both are due for replacing the foam suspension. If you get the cabinets refurbished and woofers replaced, the price of 550e easily will exceede double from that.

Yeah, I had another look at the pair you suggested, and there's no comparison indeed. Carry on, Ed...

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
BTW slightly off topic. This is a Vintage Stereo Youtube channel that I subscribe to and watch, with a broadcaster based in Holland. Might want to check it out guys (as entertainment).

Edmeister

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
BTW slightly off topic. This is a Vintage Stereo Youtube channel that I subscribe to and watch, with a broadcaster based in Holland. Might want to check it out guys (as entertainment).

subscribed, good tip!

DocG thanks for the offer!

I have heard the jmlabs 926 now and I must say they sound good. Somehow they did not sound like they have the scale I need. Heard them in a quite small room with my own amp and I think they sound good but not very big even if their size would suggest they should. Condition of the drivers did not look ideal so this might be a factor too.

the problem with my living room is the size. I think the studio monitor route is a nice option but in this price range it might be a challenge.

I am now using the Totem Mites and they just seem to dissapear in the room. I think a medium sized floorstander will not do the room justice either.

Previous house owner used huge speakers, dutch pied pipers. Very neutral but not to my taste..

Matthew8888

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
If you can manage to get about 400-600 euros more, either by selling your current amp or speakers you could get a pair of eve audio sc 208s or adam audio ax8s. Both have 8 inch drivers and are active. Give them a try from Thomann.de if you can or if your local pro dealer can let you demo them or other actives of a similar size.

If you want to keep the current set up try a sub. For that money you could get a very good one.

Good luck.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Edmeister said:
I have heard the jmlabs 926 now and I must say they sound good. Somehow they did not sound like they have the scale I need. Heard them in a quite small room with my own amp and I think they sound good but not very big even if their size would suggest they should. Condition of the drivers did not look ideal so this might be a factor too.

Power wise your amp is the biggest limiting factor for choosing speakers that scale up to the task.

I personally really like these. But they need a strong amp for a larger room.

TRENDING THREADS