Latest speaker group test

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
dino560b:
This is my personal view. Can't see why this would be deemed 'dangerous'. I have listened to the speakers in question at a dealer last week. And they are not for me. At the side of some other speakers I auditioned, they sound SLOW and I have to agree with the review, they do sound muddled in the bass.

Come on these are £1000 boxes. Not cheap and there are better speakers out there (not just my view). Sorry Mr KEF!

Alex Foxon:Generalising is dangerous.

which other speakers did you listen to?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Before xmas, I listened to the MA RX6's, B&W 684's, KEF Q500 and Q700's on a Denon AVR 1911 and Marantz CD6003.......

I demo'd these with my AV enthusiast friend and wife, and we all agreed that the Q700's were the best speaker......
emotion-3.gif

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
Before xmas, I listened to the MA RX6's, B&W 684's, KEF Q500 and Q700's on a Denon AVR 1911 and Marantz CD6003.......

I demo'd these with my AV enthusiast friend and wife, and we all agreed that the Q700's were the best speaker......
emotion-3.gif

since you love your Q500s so much, I'll drop another question. How fussy are they about placement?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
It might get deleted by the mods, as this is a Q700 thread, but I'll try.

Just been playing around with placement, and found that in my room they sound best at 16" away from the rear (stud) wall. If I move them closer to the back wall, the bass overpowers the detail, and they don't sound as clear.

Move them further into the room, and the bass is reduced and can sound a little thin....

16" away from the wall was the perfect mix of detail, clarity and bass weight.....in my room. Obviously each room is different.

Picture's of my system are here...

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/547269.aspx

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:

emotion-3.gif

Funny I seem to recall you saying the 700s had too much bass? Clearly not the best speaker *for you* then?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
I think you'll find I said they would have too much bass for my room.....sounded the best in the demo room thou....

Happy to refresh your memory

I remember perfectly and you've just backed up my assertion that they weren't the best speakers for you. That's all anyone can judge, the best speaker for their own space.

A

Anonymous

what sounds good to one may not sound good to another, if my dynaudios only got 2 stars here i'd still love em
emotion-21.gif

though the fact that they got 5 is kinda nice
emotion-5.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:Pistol Pete1:

I think you'll find I said they would have too much bass for my room.....sounded the best in the demo room thou....

Happy to refresh your memory I remember perfectly and you've just backed up my assertion that they weren't the best speakers for you. That's all anyone can judge, the best speaker for their own space.

If you read my thread, I suggested they were the best sounding speaker in the test.....

But I guessed they might be too big and bassy when sitting 3.5 metres away from them at home....

As the demo wasn't in my room, we will never know.....maybe I'm wrong and missed a better pair of speakers...who knows-I know you don't!
emotion-5.gif

What I do know is that if my lounge was bigger (5 metres plus), I'd have bought the Q700's...........

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Helmut80:thanks pete. must go and arrange a demo.

Enjoy......let us know what you think....
emotion-21.gif
.....and how they compare with the other speakers you decide to demo.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:

emotion-3.gif

Maybe during the group test a comparative stereo amp was used and not a very good budget av receiver? My old RS6s never sounded that great through my receiver.

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:

emotion-3.gif

Did exactly the same thing and listened to those along with the Q900s and B&W 683s.

Sadly the 900s were too big to get past the missus both physically and metaphorically. So I went for the Q700s as the 2nd best to my ears. ( Still not sure the missus realises how much bigger the 700s are than our current speakers
emotion-7.gif
)

If we all liked the same things the world would be a very boring place.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Mr Mellie:Pistol Pete1:

emotion-3.gif

Did exactly the same thing and listened to those along with the Q900s and B&W 683s.

Sadly the 900s were too big to get past the missus both physically and metaphorically. So I went for the Q700s as the 2nd best to my ears. ( Still not sure the missus realises how much bigger the 700s are than our current speakers
emotion-7.gif
)

If we all liked the same things the world would be a very boring place.

Sounds like a good compromise!!!

I've never heard the Q900's, personally. Much better than the Q700's, in your opinion, Mr Mellie??

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
psurquhart:

Question to the What Hi Fi team please.

Why is it that every time you do a speaker test you never throw any of the excellent PMC speakers into the mix when you do group tests ?

You didnt again for this one and yet I think they deserve to be thrown into the mix ?

I must say i am rather biased towards PMC having be a massive fan of my GB1's and DB1's.

Would have thought the newer GB1's would have fitted in perfectly to the description of compact floorstanders and also within the group tests price range ( although at the higher end of that budget ).

Would be nice to see how the newer PMC's fair against their modern rivals ?

Anyone ?????????

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We have reviewed many PMC speakers, including the Fact 8, DB1i, GB1i, FB1i, among others. Clickety

Truth is PMC's models tend to stay around a lot longer than some competitors, so we don't get new ones that often. As for this month's test, we only had room for four pairs of speakers.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply.

Im well aware of your favourable reviews on the PMC range. In fact, I must thank your magazine in pointing them out to me, they really are brilliant speakers and cant praise mine enough or your mag for getting my interest in them in the first place.

You must admit though ( with the exception of a 5.1 group test sometime back ) that you don't throw them into the mix much on group tests - maybe PMC don't want to send them to you for group tests ?

I was still curious though, in your opinion, on how you thought the newer GB1i's would have faired in this latest test ? I appreciate its hard to tell without putting them up against the competitors in your test conditions but what do you think ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I can't remember PMC ever refusing to send us anything we have requested for review, but I wasn't involved in the product selection for that particular test, so really can't add anything regarding why PMCs weren't included, or how they would have fared had they been so.

All I can really add is that I have a pair of original GB1s in my reference system at home - they're usually on the surround channels! - and I think they're extremely good, especially now they've been caned for a few years.

TRENDING THREADS