steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
http://kiiaudio.com

Threethrees_perspective_500pxwide_web.jpg

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
New DSP equipped wireless active speakers with 1500 watts, a 5" mid-range driver and 4 x 6.5" bass drivers.

Response is given as 20Hz - 25kHz ±0.5dB and long-term SPL as 105dB (115dB peak).

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
New DSP equipped wireless active speakers with 1500 watts, a 5" mid-range driver and 4 x 6.5" bass drivers and a 1" waveguided SEAS-tweeter.

Response is given as 20Hz - 25kHz ±0.5dB and long-term SPL as 105dB (115dB peak).

Fixed that for you!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
steve_1979 said:
New DSP equipped wireless active speakers with 1500 watts, a 5" mid-range driver and 4 x 6.5" bass drivers and a 1" waveguided SEAS-tweeter.

Fixed that for you!

I'm sure they'll sound superb, but overall they look a much less attractive proposition than the Silver Phantoms.

* construction: rectilinear box (Kii) vs spheroid (Phantom)

* driver arrangement: vertical HF and mid vs concentric HF and mid drivers

* amp topology: Class D NCore vs ADH

* power: 1500W vs 3000W

* sources: local digital vs local digital plus streaming via SPARK app

* price: £6K vs £3.8K

You know what makes sense ... *wacko*

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
DocG said:
steve_1979 said:

Fixed that for you!

I'm sure they'll sound superb, but overall they look a much less attractive proposition than the Silver Phantoms.

* construction: rectilinear box (Kii) vs spheroid (Phantom)

* driver arrangement: vertical HF and mid vs concentric HF and mid drivers

* amp topology: Class D NCore vs ADH

* power: 1500W vs 3000W

* sources: local digital vs local digital plus streaming via SPARK app

* price: £6K vs £3.8K

You know what makes sense ... *wacko*

Well, yes... But Bruno Putzeys is a Belgian! (Erm... not that strong a reason for you, is it?)*pardon*

On a more serious note: I'm not sure NCore is inferior to ADH. A side by side would be interesting indeed...

Oh, and the Kii has six drivers per speaker, vs four in the Phantom. *blum3*

SteveR750

105dB is not enough*

The more I have been thinking about the phantoms, the more I realise that they would have been around £1500 cheaper upgrade. I can't wait to hear some.

The concept of the Kiis is interesting, I assume they are using phase delay etc to time the reflected wave with the front firing wave.

How do the Phantoms work? Is each "pod" a stereo speaker, as the description mentiopns adding a second unit. heck, what about 4 in a room of they all work in unison / phase and can adapt to specific room acoustics.

*Maybe

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Each unit is a mono speaker. There seems to be some disagreement among the cognoscenti as to whether they use DSP in mono use to create a faux stereo effect.

The plan is to roll out versions of the software for home cinema surround sound. I imagine this will start with 5.1, though since there's no need for a sub with these babies, I should think they could do it as 5.0 by sharing out the LF channel between the satellite speakers.

I'm sure a whole load of DSP effects will come soon. The sky's the limit as far as these beauties are concerned.

I've now got mine set up in the holiday cottage, each Phantom on an 800mm-high table (i.e. roughly the same height as the Branch stand). They sound very impressive.

SteveR750

matt49 said:
Each unit is a mono speaker. There seems to be some disagreement among the cognoscenti as to whether they use DSP in mono use to create a faux stereo effect.

The plan is to roll out versions of the software for home cinema surround sound. I imagine this will start with 5.1, though since there's no need for a sub with these babies, I should think they could do it as 5.0 by sharing out the LF channel between the satellite speakers.

I'm sure a whole load of DSP effects will come soon. The sky's the limit as far as these beauties are concerned.

I've now got mine set up in the holiday cottage, each Phantom on an 800mm-high table (i.e. roughly the same height as the Branch stand). They sound very impressive.

What context Matt? As in comparing to a conventional two wooden box system (for example?) or as a super fidelity Sonos type system with music streaming to every room?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
matt49 said:

What context Matt? As in comparing to a conventional two wooden box system (for example?) or as a super fidelity Sonos type system with music streaming to every room?

In terms of SQ my reference points are my Martin Logan Montis and Vivid V1.5s. The Phantoms are inferior to the Montis in most respects. In one respect they're a long way behind: they don't have that special sense of presence and realism in the mid-range that (IMO) you only get with ESLs. But no box speakers I've heard can do that. The Vivids get a bit closer than the Phantoms. The top end of the Phantoms is also a bit scratchy compared to the MLs and Vivids.

In one respect -- accurate reproduction of very deep bass -- I haven't heard anything better than the Phantoms.

They also image beautifully: they don't do the sheer scale of the MLs, but they do seem more precise in the way they locate individual instruments.

They're certainly not just a hyper-expensive Sonos. They're waaaay ahead of that.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:

It's a pity the Munich demo of the Phantoms was so lacking (apparently). It would have been interesting to hear the opinion of somebody who heard both the Phantoms and the Kiis, be it in another room and some time apart.

Anyhow, I think these DSP-controled active speakers make for an interesting evolution: first the Avantgarde Zero, then the Phantom, now the Kii. Who knows what comes next...

mirekti

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
All this with DSP and class D amplifiers reminds me of Camera business where every three years on gets few MP more, than some dynamic range etc.

What I am trying to say is that with Devialet, now Kii and soon many others one actually pays for nCore and DSPs and saving are made on driver. It bothers me as electronics like this will soon enough become obsolete.
I wish there is a brand that puts Beryllium or RAAL tweeter for example, top quality mid range and so on.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Nice speakers if you have a lot of money and no wife. Because let's be honest that's ugly as hell except to a techhead who will probably look at those and instantly splooge a pleasure wee.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
mirekti said:
What I am trying to say is that with Devialet, now Kii and soon many others one actually pays for nCore and DSPs and saving are made on driver. It bothers me as electronics like this will soon enough become obsolete. I wish there is a brand that puts Beryllium or RAAL tweeter for example, top quality mid range and so on.

Well, you could put your own choice of components together, like I'm planning to do. In my case, that is: DEQX for DSP (including the active XO), NCore amplification, and a pair of Magnepan MMG panels. Just thinking what way to go for the subwoofer now... I'm starting a separate thread on that one soon!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
mirekti said:
What I am trying to say is that with Devialet, now Kii and soon many others one actually pays for nCore and DSPs and saving are made on driver. It bothers me as electronics like this will soon enough become obsolete. I wish there is a brand that puts Beryllium or RAAL tweeter for example, top quality mid range and so on.

Well, you could put your own choice of components together, like I'm planning to do. In my case, that is: DEQX for DSP (including the active XO), NCore amplification, and a pair of Magnepan MMG panels. Just thinking what way to go for the subwoofer now... I'm starting a separate thread on that one soon!

My local dealer favours JL Audio subs. I'm getting one on loan next Thursday.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
DocG said:
mirekti said:

My local dealer favours JL Audio subs. I'm getting one on loan next Thursday.

I first have to make up my mind what kind of sub to go for: small, disguised or invisible (third option under examination).

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
I first have to make up my mind what kind of sub to go for: small, disguised or invisible (third option under examination).

I agree they're not beautiful to behold. What's the invisible option? I'm going to hide mine (assuming I get one) behind the sofa.

I'm taking the day off today: beautiful sunshine outside, Mahler's 3rd on the Phantoms inside. I've just discovered a passage of timpani in the first movement that I didn't know existed. The sound of distant thunder.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
DocG said:

I agree they're not beautiful to behold. What's the invisible option?

Invisible would be built in. We'll have a fireplace, somewhat like the one on the picture below. The piece of wall under it should be enough to house e.g. two 12" woofers (or up to four 10 inchers). And if I use the volume under/around the fireplace as a cabinet, I have about 50 L (at one side), or 150 L (taking the "U-turn" around the thing). I could even expand it to some 1500 L if I connect it to the volume above the fireplace. How's that for an infinite baffle cabinet? That would be a DIY project obviously (with a little help of some skilled building contractors). I think my midlife crisis project is getting out of hand...

csm_Arte_U-90h_Milieu_01_Print_ffe6c2e8ad.jpg

EDIT: for some reason the WHF site pulls the picture way out of proportion, but you get the idea...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts