KETTLE POWER LEAD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Tarquinh:
At least one amplifier and speaker manufacturer plus several reviewers would thoroughly agree with Chebby. He is right about hearing, too. I'm partly deaf in one ear, but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying the music even though I know I'm missing out on perhaps a lot.

And think of the money I'm saving on exotic cables because of my deafness!

Not to mention the savings on speakers and headphones [;)

]
images

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
See this is what the problem is with this forum some one asks a genuine question and then the silly answers come rolling in, i for one can confirm that i tried a RA lead on my kettle and could taste the difference with my cup of tea, hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:There's a difference between reviewing - ie making a judgement - and merely reporting a state of affairs...

..mmmmmmmm but isnt that exactly what us mere mortals here are doing, making a judgement over russell hobbs or russ andrews

A

Anonymous

ashworth_rich:
However, they do say it depends on the quality of your mains cabling in the house and other factors as to whether you can observe a difference...or is that just an excuse :) I've not been convinced by this, infact when i bought my latest kit i made the shop unplug the chord (i think) power cables they were using and put the standard ones back in.

Having said that on an induction at Linn they proved that plugging the kit directly into the mains was better than through an extension.... I'd have though it rubbish but it did improve. Not noticed it anywhere else though so maybe the quality of the mains in the factory is better than houses.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
pioneer7:See this is what the problem is with this forum some one asks a genuine question and then the silly answers come rolling in, i for one can confirm that i tried a RA lead on my kettle and could taste the difference with my cup of tea, hope this helps.

i think its just the fact that this is such a contencious issue - personally i think they are great and can tell the difference in my setup - end of storey for me.

just this has been discussed in about three threads in last 48 hours of which some have been removed and edited and i think the question was asked to cause debate and divide opinion - neither of which i think is needed - just my opinion

A

Anonymous

pioneer7:See this is what the problem is with this forum some one asks a genuine question and then the silly answers come rolling in, i for one can confirm that i tried a RA lead on my kettle and could taste the difference with my cup of tea, hope this helps.

Yes but was it a copper kettle or silver, and did the taste have depth,separation,and a good bottom end,or was it harsh, metalic, and forward tasteing !! a review is needed !!!!!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

robborollover:

Yes but was it a copper kettle or silver, and did the taste have depth,separation,and a good bottom end,or was it harsh, metalic, and forward tasteing !! a review is needed !!!!!!!!!!

YesI've oft wondered why they don't make more electric copper kettles
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:pioneer7:See this is what the problem is with this forum some one asks a genuine question and then the silly answers come rolling in, i for one can confirm that i tried a RA lead on my kettle and could taste the difference with my cup of tea, hope this helps. i think its just the fact that this is such a contencious issue - personally i think they are great and can tell the difference in my setup - end of storey for me. just this has been discussed in about three threads in last 48 hours of which some have been removed and edited and i think the question was asked to cause debate and divide opinion - neither of which i think is needed - just my opinion

Well as I asked the question of course it was asked to cause debate and of course you are going to get divided opinions, what are forums for ??

Pray why is this not needed, just because you think its the end of the story for you ?? seemingly you think this question was asked with some form of malicious intent, it was absolutely not but as you say just your opinion, which was the whole point of the question ....peoples opinion !!!

A

Anonymous

Jury's still out for me. I swapped the leads on my new Amp and CD player without noticing much difference but luckily didn't spend a fortune on them so I'll keep them for now. The thing is if you're spending a wedge of hard earned on new equipment and, if the leads do make such a difference to the sound, then you would like to think that the manufacturers' supplied leads would be top notch. Ridiculous concept I know.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
I think the other side of the equation is also worth looking at. Would your CD player lead make your kettle boil more efficiently or would the kettle 'whistle' more tunefully with greater separation and a tighter bass?

A

Anonymous

Now that was funny.

I thank you.

At the moment it made me LOL, I have never written LOL before.

Matt

A

Anonymous

chebby:Amazing isn't it? Imagine, some idiots believe a £3000 CD player sounds better than the drive found in an old Binatone music centre. A laser is a laser, zeros and ones are just the same zeros and ones no matter what the player costs. It's only data and it cannot be corrupted. Bell wire is just as good as the finest Chord speaker cable. So long as it conducts electricity what's the difference? There is absolutely no discernible difference between a £250 amp and a £2500 amp of the same power output. Their specifications look identical near as dammit. The human ear cannot possibly tell one from the other. All a turntable has to do is rotate a record at 33.33 or 45 RPM. So given that, why bother spending out on expensive ones? By the time a person has reached middle age the frequency range of their ears is so reduced that they could not possibly tell the difference between listening to music through a telephone or a pair of £1000 Grados.

I think you are being rather disingenuous here.

I get the sarcasm. But some hi fi nonsense is just that. But, some do have complicated reasons for having an effect, and mixed one liners only complicate things.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
matt41:

Now that was funny.

I thank you.

At the moment it made me LOL, I have never written LOL before.

Matt

LOL!

TRUMPETS!!!

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
To all those people that are not sure about Mains leads, i think the best advice is [GULP] Errmm is try and buy a lead from a supplier that will give a 30-60 day refund, then if you feel there is a benefit keep said cable if not get a refund no harm done, for me they do work, and with out spending silly money, but for others they dont.

A

Anonymous

i found that aftermarket leads don make a difference - even in an entry level system. i didnt go for the big-name brands instead i bought high spec cables from an ebay shop for much less money that the big names would charge for the same specs. i am very happy with the cables and the difference in sound they make. i also have a mains conditioner and that also makes a difference to my systems performance - again this is a BT mains conditioner not a russ andrews or isotek etc.

i dont understand how these things affect my systems sound but i can HEAR the difference they make. no one is fleecing me out of my hard earned cash like some narrow-minded individuals would have you believe. if i could hear any difference i would have just sold them on...

just think to yourself - all the professional hifi reviewers and many thousands of consumers who say these products DO make a difference - can they all be wrong?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I think it's fair to say that a kettle would look much more impressive with a Russ Andrews Powerkord or Merlin Black Widow attaching it to the mains, especially if it was one of those Siemens/Porsche things, then it would look delightful.ÿ

Just think you could invite your friends over to show it off, and make threads on 'Whatkettle Whistle & Steam' website, claims such as 'my kettle boils at closer to 100 degrees Celsius when I use my Powerkord'.

To be honest I use a whole host of expensive kettle leads on my stereo

A

Anonymous

pioneer7:To all those people that are not sure about Mains leads, i think the best advice is [GULP] Errmm is try and buy a lead from a supplier that will give a 30-60 day refund, then if you feel there is a benefit keep said cable if not get a refund no harm done, for me they do work, and with out spending silly money, but for others they dont.

i worry that that might be too sensible a suggestion for some...

A

Anonymous

matengawhat: i think its just the fact that this is such a contencious issue - personally i think they are great and can tell the difference in my setup - end of storey for me.

ÿHave you ever tried doing some kind of double blind test on yourself regarding these cables ,, now that would be interesting .

I think that these cables should carry some sort ofÿscientificÿproof behind them to back up their claimsÿ(eg double blind testing), before they are allowed to be sold.

Just look at homeopathy for instance , under clinical trials it has been shown that it does not work any better than a placebo , in fact how could it work if you look at the science behind it, Yet many idiots fool themselves and swear by it and the practitioners are allowed to carry on swindling people, same goes for these expensive leads i believe ,ÿ

ÿIt really annoys me that this debate has been going on for so long now yet none of these companies will conduct blind test's to try and resolve the matter once and for all.

ÿSave your money and buy a bunch of cd'sÿinsteadÿof an expensive kettle lead , they will make your set up sound better.

atÿÿ

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts