KEF Sub Woofer making odd noises when in standby...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have had the KEF3005SE speaker system for 10 months with no problems. Since purchase I have had the sub turned on constantly.

However, yesterday I noticed that every few minutes, the HTB2SE sub would make a couple of 'booms' then stop. This went on for an hour before I eventually turned it off at the mains for fear of damage to the unit. The DENON amp was not switched on (only stand by) yet the sub was receiving some sort of signal...

Any ideas??

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
poltergeist1-550x340.jpg

Either that or it could be something to do with the auto-power switching, assuming you're using it. If you are, it sounds like the sub is momentarily turning on, then off again.

Could be something like interference being picked up on the subwoofer cable, for example from a fridge or central heating boiler with a grubby (and thus slightly sparky) switch: the sub might 'hear' this as a signal, turn itself on, then turn off again when it doesn't hear a continuing signal.

Might be worth trying a different sub cable, or having a word with KEF's service department for any ideas it may have.

A

Anonymous

Not sure if it helps, however, I have an alarm system that has a high powered radio receiver (for external panic alarms).

If I ran the sub cable near the panel control box, I also got a humming on the sub. Very quiet, but certainly there. Not enough to make the sub come out of standby though.

I re-routed the cable and no more buzzing. So maybe there is some sort of radio interference near, wireless router maybe? Don't know if a better (sheilded) cable can help?

Another thing with active speaker systems is that you can sometimes get a "bad earth" buzzing that is coming from the ring main. I had it on my M-Audio Monitor speakers that I have in a small home recording studio setup.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts