Question Problem with subwoofer or amp

Dr. Delban

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi I have a problem with my subwoofer. It happened suddenly. I have a Bowers & Wilkins ASW608 woofer and Yamaha A-S501. I've been using this system for over 4 years now. There are 2 pairs of speakers attached to the system too - one pair of MA BX2 and a pair of Opera 1.5

The problem with the woofer is that it has become very quiet. It works just very quiet as if I turned the volume down but I didn't even touch the knobs. The only thing I did to is so far was unplugging it from the mains, unplugging the connection cable and plugging everything back in and nothing changed.

I have no idea what is wrong with it.

I know that one of the BX2 speakers has a loose rubbish cable, and I have been pushing it up every now and then recently as I heard the speaker cutting off. Would this have caused some interference?

Any clues and ideas what could this be?

There is one issue which I observed over the time with the amp, maybe there is a connection between these two problems. Every now and then when the amp is left on standby, it makes a "click" which sounds the same as when switching it on or off. I always wondered what this was but never addressed that. Is this something to do with the system not being grounded correctly (or at all) ?

I did take the amp to Richer Sounds a few years ago and told them about the clicks. They had it checked for me and said that there was nothing wrong with it. They weren't particularly helpful with it back then.

Please advise what could this be... Thanks!

Last edited:

Gray

Though it's unlikely to be causing the problem with the subwoofer,
the first thing to do is sort out that cable so that the BX2 no longer cuts out.

The clicks will be a relay switching. Listen out for random clicks and try to note what else happens as the click occurs (e.g. something showing on the display?).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts