Review Gallo Strada 2 Speakers and TR3D Sub -- Discrete but Audiophile

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Summary: audiophile speakers at audiophile prices. Hard to set up. The effort is rewarded.

My house is tiny; a typical 300-year old British cottage. The front room is not only small with low ceilings but is odd shaped and has a huge fireplace jutting out. In short, it's a terrible house for someone who likes audio. There's no room for bookshelf speakers let alone floorstanders. That means getting creative and doing lots of research. And I needed a Christmas present for myself. The end result was a 5.1.2 set up based around Gallo Strada 2s on wall mounts for LCR with A'Diva SE speakers doing the surround/Atmos and a TR3D sub.

That choice started out as a nightmare. No matter what I did, they sounded great from everywhere in the house until you were in the same room as them. After a huge amount of effort, that nightmare turned into a dream. The odd-shaped room meant the speakers were slightly out of phase. Putting accurate measurements from the seating position to the speakers into the amp helped but not enough. Eventually, through weeks of trial and error, the distances that worked were in the amp.

What these speakers give is a genuine audiophile experience. Now that they're correctly set up, the sound stage is wider than the room they're in. Despite being wall mounted, there's depth to the stage. You can point at the location of instruments. The Strada 2s don't have a crossover so everything is incredibly natural. Voices sound like voices.

The very musical sub makes itself known below 20Hz and finds its rhythm by 23Hz.

Christopher Tin's Waloyo Yamoni orchestral and choral music sounds like the concert is happening in front of my house. Peter Gabriel's Growing Up swirls sounds around the room despite only being stereo -- I had to check the amp hadn't sneakily switched on the surround. Daft Punk's Get Lucky caused an unstoppable butt wiggle. In stereo, the Stada 2s seem to be genuinely audiophile speakers.

Then the centre, surround and Atmos get involved. In movies. I've never heard better. From the jazz club opening music of Man From UNCLE to the thumping soundtrack of Tron: Legacy.

In all, getting them to perform was incredibly frustrating. All through this, Gallo gave me support well above and beyond. They do a 30 day money back guarantee and I almost took them up on it. On day 29, it sounded wrong, wrong, wrong. But I'm stubborn. Other reviewers had said great things so I figured the problem was me or my room. The stubbornness started to pay off about ten days later. A week after that, I -- and everyone else who has heard my setup -- joined the people saying great things about the Strada 2s.

I'm sure they won't be to everyone's tastes aesthetically, but I really like how they look. My room's rather friendlier, but I won't mix hifi and AV, so floorstanders are out of the question for the latter. I'd like to improve on what I have, but have no real idea which way to go. Will certainly have a look at these.

EDIT: for a 7.1 setup I'd be looking at maybe £6.5k - might be more than I'd be prepared to spend, as well as being rather above my present amp's price point.

Reactions: Arron

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
I'm sure they won't be to everyone's tastes aesthetically, but I really like how they look. My room's rather friendlier, but I won't mix hifi and AV, so floorstanders are out of the question for the latter. I'd like to improve on what I have, but have no real idea which way to go. Will certainly have a look at these.

EDIT: for a 7.1 setup I'd be looking at maybe £6.5k - might be more than I'd be prepared to spend, as well as being rather above my present amp's price point.
Aesthetically, so far extremely WAG-friendly. There's no need for Strada 2s all around, the A'Diva SEs are very accomplished performers for the surround role. In fact, they were going to be my LCR and I would have been very, very happy with them. It's just this was a once-a-decade spend so the Strada 2s were a might as well be hanged for a sheep situation.

I had a demo of these a few years ago and they do sound really good.
Only a change of room stopped me purchasing these.
I've never known speakers to be so hard to set up. Usually, I use YPAO as a starting point and go from there. It was the wrong move with these. You need to be willing to manually fiddle for a long time. What did you end up with for your change of room?

michael hoy

Aesthetically, so far extremely WAG-friendly. There's no need for Strada 2s all around, the A'Diva SEs are very accomplished performers for the surround role. In fact, they were going to be my LCR and I would have been very, very happy with them. It's just this was a once-a-decade spend so the Strada 2s were a might as well be hanged for a sheep situation.

I've never known speakers to be so hard to set up. Usually, I use YPAO as a starting point and go from there. It was the wrong move with these. You need to be willing to manually fiddle for a long time. What did you end up with for your change of room?
Went with Definitive Technology and Yamaha in that set up knowing it was only a stop gap.
Then changed to Monitor Audio and Pioneer.
Now have what is in my sig.

TRENDING THREADS