KEF R700 with SUPERNAIT or XTZ A100 D3 or ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I was given a rare opportunity from my Boss to upgrade my home HIFI system. I am looking for a new speakers, may also consider changing an amp.

Music: main rock (Metallica, Guns n Roses, ACDC), flamenco, jazz, blues, pop.
Room size: 5m*4m
Budget: £2000
Positioning: limited, close to the wall

Current system
Squeezebox + Supernait + Rega RS5

In the past I have listened to quite a few hi-fi systems and noticed most of them lacked punch. I am looking for the speakers that could reflect steel strings (electric and bass guitars) well enough to hear notes rather then continuous distortion noise and same bass notes:rockout: .

I am planning to demo Supernait + Kef R700 and MA GX200 this weekend. Any thoughts regarding these combos? I have also recently discovered XTZ A100 D3. It looks as it has good reviews online. Has anyone heard this amp with KEF speakers?

Any ideas for other speaker + amp combos mainly focused on rock music?

Thank you!
Evaldas

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
although some people in the forum would argue Kef and Naim is not a good combo I can tell you that the R 700 works well with the Supernait. I cannot tell you anything about the other speakers though.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
kungula said:
although some people in the forum would argue Kef and Naim is not a good combo I can tell you that the R 700 works well with the Supernait.

Naim with the R series is a great combination - it would only be the Reference range with Naim that I would not recommend.

Hi Evaldas

I'll recommend that you should also consider ATC's SCM40 monitors as Naim's Supernait amplifier pairs well with SCM40 monitors :) SCM40 monitors with their closed box design and importantly flat and honest presentation helps position them close to walls without the bass in particular getting itself into a twist.

I've yet to hear any distortion from SCM40's as their solid engineering (particularly featuring ATC's original state of the art studio Soft Dome mid range unit) helps keep things in check. SCM40 monitors don't favour any genre of music, instead SCM40's with their low distortion, high resolution, flat and honest designs reproduce the stability and the power of the sound in a controlled, uncoloured and natural manner.

Fwiw, I feel that SCM40 monitors are probably the finest value for money speakers currently available on the market regardless of price.

http://www.atcloudspeakers.co.uk/scm40.php

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi Evaldas, as you can see from my signature i've got the R700's and i think they are brilliant. Mine are tight in against the wall due to my wife being a childminder and having a 2 year old of our own. I also listen to similar music to yourself. I can hear everything with pin sharp clarity as well as having as much or as little bass as i want. Guitar riffs sound amazing and there's no "boom" even at high volume. "Get in the Ring" or "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" never sounded so good. :rockout:

jjbomber

I use an N-Vi with Kef Reference speakers and it sings. I also have a Supernait and Hi-Cap with Naim speakers and a Uniti in the bedroom with Missions. It's the Kefs that win all day long.

Original post: I would get a Hi-Cap if you are after extra bass. Amazing upgrade.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I like the choice of Kef R700, and would suggest you also listen to the following amps:

Musical Fidelity M6i

Sugden A21 SE

Electrocompaniet ECI-5 Mk11 or ECI-3

Pathos Classic One Mk111

It's important to listen to a variety of amps and speakers before committing eg Proac D18

T

the record spot

Definitely try out the XTZ - their gear apparently performs way above the price you pay. If you are in the UK you can try one out from Audio Emotion who will send you a demo unit so you can try in the home for a few weeks. If you buy, they send out a new one, if you don't like it, all you pay is the shipping price. That's about as risk free as it goes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts