kef R500 upgrade bug

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi

ive been thinking about upgrading for quite some time now and the kef r500s caught my eye, i listen to alot of fast paced drum n bass , idm , indie so need tight control and authority in the bass department , till now i have been using kef iq7s with a nad t747 reciever (also used for HT) , i love the kefs signature sound stage and imaging but the bass gets flabby and un controlled which spoils the bass heavy genres i listen to. I use a pioneer cd player as a source. Earlier i was about to get the audiolab m dac for better bass definition but im on a budget , i can get either the M dac and kef q500 or the R500 only.

ill be sitting approximately 14 feet away in a room 20 by 18, which is carpeted

any suggestions as to which option would give better bass definition and control?

thanks a bunch!

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply !

yeah i do realise that the R500s are in a different league but theoretically speaking which component is more likely to improve bass definition , a better source (m dac ) or a better speaker (r500)?

As far as i know the 60 watt Nad has pretty decent power and control

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The R500's are in a different league to the Q500's, but it'll be down to how well your NAD can control them.

Or Do you think id get more overall value with something like q500 or q300 with an audiolab M dac ?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
In the (temporary) absence of David, here is my opinion:

- Control comes from the amp.

- The IQ7s don't have flabby bass per se, so the amp isn't controlling them.

- The R Series has a very different sound signature to the IQ Series

- The R500s have considerable bass which needs to be kept under control.

- The Q Series are good, but the R Series are exceptional.....FWIW. I wouldn't change your IQ7 for less than the R series.

- If you get the R500s, it will likely set you on a future "system upgrade path".

- You need to try the R500s on the end of your amp and take it from there.

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
In the (temporary) absence of David, here is my opinion:

- Control comes from the amp.

- The IQ7s don't have flabby bass per se, so the amp isn't controlling them.

- The R Series has a very different sound signature to the IQ Series

- The R500s have considerable bass which needs to be kept under control.

- The Q Series are good, but the R Series are exceptional.....FWIW. I wouldn't change your IQ7 for less than the R series.

- If you get the R500s, it will likely set you on a future "system upgrade path".

- You need to try the R500s on the end of your amp and take it from there.

thanks for the reply

Ok so if i want better bass definition from my iq7s i should be looking for a good integrated amp , which one would you suggest ?

Would something along the lines of the creek 50d or audiolab 8200a do the job?

I certainly wont be able to upgrade my amp if i buy the r500s

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vortex160 said:
Ok so if i want better bass definition from my iq7s i should be looking for a good integrated amp , which one would you suggest ?

IMO. The IQs need a warmish amp, so would look at Arcam (A19), Creek (50A), Musical Fidelity (M3i), Harman Kardon (HK990), Peachtree (Nova 125) and Sugden (Mystro).

You should try and listen to as many alternatives as possible, including the R500s on the end of your amp........you may, after all, disagree with me.

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Vortex160 said:

IMO. The IQs need a warmish amp, so would look at Arcam (A19), Creek (50A), Musical Fidelity (M3i), Harman Kardon (HK990), Peachtree (Nova 125) and Sugden (Mystro).

You should try and listen to as many alternatives as possible, including the R500s on the end of your amp........you may, after all, disagree with me.

yes i do like the creek sound , the new creek 50a looks very slick, ill give it a try .

on the other hand have you heard the R300s ? are they easy to drive?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts