Kef R100 vs LS50

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you do a search on here, you will find a lot of good info.

In my case, I wanted to get the R100s and save myself a couple of hundred quid. I did a lot of direct comparison, but found the LS50s much superior.

The R100s are some of the best £600 that I've heard, but imo. the LS50s are a bit special......but there are some provisos:

- The LS50s are a reference mini monitor, so need to be in a good system......especially the amp.

- They need to be on decent heavy stands

- Personal preference always applies, and you can't assume that you will prefer the LS50s....so a good dem is a must.

When properly driven, with a good source and on decent stands, I found them more detailed, accurate and natural, with a faster more accurate bass, than the R100s. I was quite surprised by the gap.

Again, a search on here will find people that have not been happy eg. http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/kef-ls50-disappointment.

Danny1

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks sounds like its worth getting as a long term investment to me. I mean if I bought them now I may not get the best out of them with a Denon AVRX2000 but for when I eventually upgrade my amp it will only get better and better with the LS50s :) thanks for your good advice. :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Danny1 said:
Thanks sounds like its worth getting as a long term investment to me. I mean if I bought them now I may not get the best out of them with a Denon AVRX2000 but for when I eventually upgrade my amp it will only get better and better with the LS50s :) thanks for your good advice. :)

There is nothing to stop you demoing them within an appropriate system, in order to make sure that they are worth aspiring to......never take the word of anyone else about something that your money is going to be spent on. Always check it for yourself.

:cheers:

Goat

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
LS50 are definitely more accomplished technically in a number of departments. But they definitely have a different presentation to the r100s. As previously mentioned the deal breaker for me was the ''lifted'' lower treble, which (to my ears) made them too bright, intense and uncomfortable to listen to.

I've read reviews, stereophile and another, which both confirm the upper mid/lower treble boost in lab measurements. It seems to be a trick of voicing to create more detail and transparency.

R100s are slightly more syrupy, slightly more laid back in the upper frequencies (but still very detailed), an overall nicer and more comfortable listen in my opinion.

Danny1 said:
Anybody like to share any thoughts who have heard both? Thanks

Well, given you've started up 3 threads now on speakers in the last couple of days, Cno is absolutely spot-on: You NEED to hear various speakers with your system. Quite frankly you can carry on asking until the cows come home, but there's no substitute for hearing them yourself. We can only advise on a very subjective issue.

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm with pp on this , go to a shop any listen to them it's the only way.

The kef r series and the LS50's are really good units and they will need decent kit to make them sing especially the ls50's. I'm a big fan of the r 100's and for the money you won't get anything close , IMHO.

TRENDING THREADS