KEF LS50 - Stand, subwoofer, amp

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Dear All

I have auditioned the LS50 yesterday and they sound great. However, I found that I wanted some more bass in them. The guy in the shop suggested the Rell T-7 and T-9 sub to be connected in parallel. Any ideas?

Furthremore I would also like to know what speaker stands are most appropriate. I am currently looking at;

Custom Design FS104 Signature, Partington Super Dreadnought and Partington Ansa 60.

Latsly which hifi amps would you suggest for them?

Any input is welcome.

Thanks

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
L00k_C said:
I have auditioned the LS50 yesterday and they sound great. However, I found that I wanted some more bass in them. The guy in the shop suggested the Rell T-7 and T-9 sub to be connected in parallel. Any ideas?

What both of them? Seems a little excessive...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

Can you give details of your source, and the budget you have allocated for amp and Sub.

Also, the size of your room and the type of music you like to listen to, would also be helpful.

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Have not heard too many subs and not sure of your budget but the PV1d sunds just right most of the time, texture, definition, speed, but not thunderous.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre said:
Wtith the price of the sub, stands and speakers had you considered the R500's? I think they have 20% off right now so you may even be able to look at R700s

Now that is probably the most sensible suggestion.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
With 20% off you could probably stretch to the R900's given the cost of the LS50's, stands, and a Rel T-9! The R900's would be neater in terms of box count and wires, but you may not have the room for a big floorstander.

If the latter have a look at BK Electronics' subs (www.bkelec.com) as well as the REL's. BK used to make the original REL's and are considerably cheaper than most equivalents as they only sell direct (which does mean you can't audition them). They get very good reviews though - see the website.The top of the range one at £550 is quoted at 15Hz in room at -3db; not sure I quite believe that but it's pretty beefy whatever! If I was looking for a new sub they'd be my first port of call.

Whether REL or BK, do consider how you will connect it to your amp; there can be issues with grounding them if using the high level connection into a dual mono amp. There are ways around it (I'm using an old REL into my dual mono Ayre without a problem, but it did take me a while to work it out), but do be aware as you can 'fry' things if you get it wrong.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I don't think you'd need to look any further than the R500's as their bass is surprisingly deep for their size. Having said that, I do prefer the treble and midrange from the LS50, which is much more Reference quality than R Series quality.

For a sub that is going to be good enough for music and for the LS50's, you'll need to be looking at the KK Sound DXD808, which are designed for speed and accuracy rather than all out depth and SPL (although they're really rather good in those respects for their size as well). I use a DXD12012 with mine and they both blend seamlessly, and compliment each other perfectly as they both have a similar design ethos behind them.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre said:
Wtith the price of the sub, stands and speakers had you considered the R500's? I think they have 20% off right now so you may even be able to look at R700s

LS50 is much more transparent sounding than the R500s. The top end on the R500 seems veiled to me and the hefty bass is bothersome- not as tight as the LS50. Also, the R500s require a VERY powerful amp. IMO, the LS50 looks much better than the R500s which is too flashy for my tastes.

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Dear All

Thank you very much for your answers.

Just to put you into the picture:

1. The room is about 7x5 meters.

2. I listem mostly to rock music and also to all other music (apart from JAZZ ... sorry :grin: )

3. The suggestion was to use EITHER 1(one) T7 or T9 using the Neutrik Speakon solution (although reading further some say the use of 2(two) subs has a better result)

4. for amp budget I am in the region of upto 2000 euros (sorry just starting this hobby). I have an offer for Creek Evolution 5350 for about 1000 euros? :shifty: Should I also consider a VALVE amp solution?

5. I have heard also the R700 which are also nice (more bass), however, forgive me for saying that, but all the jizz about the LS50 (and ofcourse the quality of sound), is what drives me to buy the latter that any of the R series :shhh:

6. One more question: as I would like to expand further into Home Cinema, is using a 3rd LS50 speaker as CENTER speaker a CRAZY idea. (should i stick to a proper center speaker i.e. R200C,R600c).

Guys again THANK you VERY MUCH for your input and time.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Here are my thoughts on the questions you have posed:

- You have a big room to fill (even more so if it has a high ceiling), so either floorstanders or a sub may prove necessary.

- With "Rock" being your music of choice, Valves may not be the way to go.......but it's worth finding out.

- Others have rightly pointed out, that if you take the cost of one or two decent subs, plus the cost of stands, you could be looking at really nice Floorstanders.

- Along with Creek, look at Musical Fidelity M3i, Electrocompaniet ECI-3 and Sugden A21.

- Do not buy speakers because of the "all the jizz", unless you feel it's fully justified for your taste. If you like the R500/700/900 as much, I suspect they will suit your room better (given its size).

- I think you can use a LS50 for a centre, but David (F. Harvey) can confirm.

IMO. Don't buy the speakers until you have decided on the amp and heard them together....as you should see them as a "matched pairing".

CnoEvil said:
Here are my thoughts on the questions you have posed:

- You have a big room to fill (even more so if it has a high ceiling), so either floorstanders or a sub may prove necessary.

- With "Rock" being your music of choice, Valves may not be the way to go.......but it's worth finding out.

- Others have rightly pointed out, that if you take the cost of one or two decent subs, plus the cost of stands, you could be looking at really nice Floorstanders.

- Along with Creek, look at Musical Fidelity M3i, Electrocompaniet ECI-3 and Sugden A21.

- Do not buy speakers because of the "all the jizz", unless you feel it's fully justified for your taste. If you like the R500/700/900 as much, I suspect they will suit your room better (given its size).

- I think you can use a LS50 for a centre, but David (F. Harvey) can confirm.

IMO. Don't buy the speakers until you have decided on the amp and heard them together....as you should see them as a "matched pairing".

I strongly concur with CnoEvil, if you are buying the L50's for their looks but feel they need a sub (the TZero should suffice as a pair), then you are indeed looking at the wrong reason to buy them. For the size of your room, and if you are looking to go 'home cinema' in the future then aim to audition floorstanders when you have your source and amp sorted.

Agree with Musical Fidelity as a good starter but do not stop there (Primare, Electrocompaniet etc, etc.)

If you are going for a centre speaker stick with one that is specifically designed to be just that. No point in spending all that extra on a speaker that you will hardly be using it's full frequency spectrum. :)

Valve amp will not be the way to go if yor main interest is rock and aim to go for home cinema at a later date!

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks CnoEVIL, wise words

However, If Iwas to go for floorstanders R500 (something I think I should) then Monitor Audio RX6, B&W CM9, DALI IKON 6 MK2 and Focal 826VW come into play :wall:

Any suggestions or additions? :read:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
L00k_C said:
Thanks CnoEVIL, wise words

However, If Iwas to go for floorstanders R500 (something I think I should) then Monitor Audio RX6, B&W CM9, DALI IKON 6 MK2 and Focal 826VW come into play :wall:

Any suggestions or additions? :read:

I suppose it depends what brands you have access to.....which includes amps.

Everything you have listed is worth auditioning, as well as:

- Spendor A Series

- Sonus Faber Venere range

- PMC ( http://www.hifix.co.uk/pmc; )

- Proac ( http://www.hifix.co.uk/proac )

- Vienna Acoustics ( http://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/p0/vienna-acoustics/408781.htm )

I stress again....synergy between amp and speakers is vital ie. Trying to get a sound that is more than the sum of its parts.

Of the amps I've listed, try to get a listen to the Electro (works with almost everything) and the Sugden (works great with Proac and Spendor)

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Wish I could...

However apart from Proac (limited choice) all others you have listed are no go.....

Thanks again you have been very helpful..

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
L00k_C said:
Wish I could...

However apart from Proac (limited choice) all others you have listed are no go.....

Thanks again you have been very helpful..

If you could give a list of brands you have access to, I (and others) may be of more help.

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks CnoEVIL

I actually have limited options :oops: which are:

KEF

PROARC

B&W

DALI (access to buy but not audition)

Monitor Audio

JBL

If you be so kind to tell me as well which integrated amps match better with each f the above, I would very much appreciated. Can have local access to creek, rotel, accuphase, krell (bit expensive), denon, yamaha, pioneer, onkyo, marantz, nad, but do not limit yourself to these as I can order from abroad (but not listen to them).

My budget is about 3000 euros for both, however can extent to 4000 max. Room is 4mx4.5m (2.8m high), and mainly listen to Rock, easy listening but also to every other GOOD music (apart from jazz sorry).

Lastly, as I live abroad (CYPRUS), does anyone know liable internet sites that can post such items abroad? :read:

Thanks again so much... :beer:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Please bear in mind that my suggestions are tainted with my preferences, so listen to as many combinations as you can.

Saying that, I would be looking at Creek Destiny) and Accuphase for the amps.

For the speakers, Kef R Series, Proac and possibly Dali / Focal?).

It is worth checking if the dealer selling Creek, also has access to Epos speakers.

Armed with your shortlist, it's time to see which pairings work for you. Just remember, the quality of the source has an impact.

Also, let us know how you get on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts