Kef ls50 meta cone cracking

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
...but would you expect such physical damage....to just one cone?

As for the dealer saying the cone material is too weak; the one certainty in all of this is that Kef aren't going to agree with that.
I would agree it is odd but perhaps there were some deficiencies in that particular cone? Given time would the other one end up the same way?

All depends if the dealer has seen these photos, or is basing what he says on a verbal description. As I posted in a previously, you only have to Google “KEF speaker damage“ or similar, and you’ll see photos of people who have obliterated their cones. Mostly due to abuse, and the odd lightning storm here and there.

If KEF had a major design issue (as hinted at by the dealer), they wouldn’t have used the same drive unit design for the Meta LS50s. Put too much bass through any cone and it’ll start showing signs of stress, before it gives up entirely. Used within their designed physical limits, like any speaker, they’ll last decades.

Reactions: Al ears
All depends if the dealer has seen these photos, or is basing what he says on a verbal description. As I posted in a previously, you only have to Google “KEF speaker damage“ or similar, and you’ll see photos of people who have obliterated their cones. Mostly due to abuse, and the odd lightning storm here and there.

If KEF had a major design issue (as hinted at by the dealer), they wouldn’t have used the same drive unit design for the Meta LS50s. Put too much bass through any cone and it’ll start showing signs of stress, before it gives up entirely. Used within their designed physical limits, like any speaker, they’ll last decades.
Quite agree.
But then I have never owned metal cones speakers. :)

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
It seems that which ever way I go ,the problem is very easy for kef to put down to me. Maybe I'm getting too old for this hobby ,50 years ago you went out and bought a system you liked the look and sound of and just enjoyed it,now you need a 6 month technical training course in compliance, what drives what too much ,and numerous other issues. I can only say that the speakers have never been abused,or overdriven, or touched by any other person. I only purchased the speakers on reading "What hifi magazine" review which I used to buy my AE1'S. Whatever the outcome of my conversation with kef is on Monday, I can safely say that I will get rid of the kefs ASAP as really don't want to have to watch the volume control every time I switch my amp on in case the cones are " Moving too much",that's not what I have been into hifi for 50 years. Will stick to my other speakers .Thanks for your input

Reactions: WayneKerr
It seems that which ever way I go ,the problem is very easy for kef to put down to me. Maybe I'm getting too old for this hobby ,50 years ago you went out and bought a system you liked the look and sound of and just enjoyed it,now you need a 6 month technical training course in compliance, what drives what too much ,and numerous other issues. I can only say that the speakers have never been abused,or overdriven, or touched by any other person. I only purchased the speakers on reading "What hifi magazine" review which I used to buy my AE1'S. Whatever the outcome of my conversation with kef is on Monday, I can safely say that I will get rid of the kefs ASAP as really don't want to have to watch the volume control every time I switch my amp on in case the cones are " Moving too much",that's not what I have been into hifi for 50 years. Will stick to my other speakers .Thanks for your input
Let's hope KEF do the right thing.

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
Anyone want a pair of ,kef ls50 meta speakers with stands. Kefs response was that there were signs of over excursion to the speaker at the rim so not covered by warranty. That's that then,my question to kef was that if this happens at normal listening levels,which is how I listen to them,they are of no use to me. No response. So I’ll use them for a while as they are, get a new driver and get rid of them . Definitely won't ever by Kef products again. Rock on Acoustic Energy

Anyone want a pair of ,kef ls50 meta speakers with stands. Kefs response was that there were signs of over excursion to the speaker at the rim so not covered by warranty. That's that then,my question to kef was that if this happens at normal listening levels,which is how I listen to them,they are of no use to me. No response. So I’ll use them for a while as they are, get a new driver and get rid of them . Definitely won't ever by Kef products again. Rock on Acoustic Energy
Was that just based upon photos - sorry, I haven't read every entry here so you might have returned them.

Hear, hear.
a KEF copout

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
I've written back and told them we've been discussing the problem on the website. If I felt at any time that there was a possibility that I could have been over stressing the speakers i would have simply accepted fault and bought a replacement driver,but,there has got to be something amiss here,as have already posted the AE1's have been in use for 35 years approx without a hiccup, why would I suddenly feel the need to drive the speakers excessively. The AE500's are metal cones and absolutely beautiful. Expensive lesson learned, I blame Whathifi mag for giving them such a good review 😂. As previously said Rock on Acoustic Energy, thanks for all your input, guys,been an interesting journey

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
Appreciate your comments, at this point don't think they care or are interested. I certainly won't be able to trust them after replacing the driver so they will definitely have to go. Expensive mistake 😫

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
Just for the record,35 year old AE1's and 2 year old AE500's

Attachments

• 20220601_150011.jpg
    20220601_150011.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220601_150000.jpg
    20220601_150000.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220601_150011.jpg
    20220601_150011.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220601_150000.jpg
    20220601_150000.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: MUSICRAFT
I've just asked for the price of a replacement driver in Spain, will get rid of them as soon as I have replaced it. There is seriously something amiss with these speakers if they damage so easily 😳
That’s all very well, although in my view they should simply rep,place them FOC for the goodwill. But how the heck do you think you’ll replace a speaker drive unit with no visible fixings?

That’s all very well, although in my view they should simply rep,place them FOC for the goodwill. But how the heck do you think you’ll replace a speaker drive unit with no visible fixings?
Manufacturers have to draw a line somewhere. If they replaced all damaged drivers that appear to be caused by over excursion, it’d be very expensive for them. Unless faulty manufacture is involved, drivers work. Some cheap drivers suffer from cones detaching from spyders sometimes another potential over excursion issue), but quality drivers are good for many decades.

Manufacturers have to draw a line somewhere. If they replaced all damaged drivers that appear to be caused by over excursion, it’d be very expensive for them. Unless faulty manufacture is involved, drivers work. Some cheap drivers suffer from cones detaching from spyders sometimes another potential over excursion issue), but quality drivers are good for many decades.
the fact they have simply made a decision based on photographs is concerning....

Gray

If David, you accept that his AE speakers have received the same treatment - and it may be that you don't believe they have??
But if you do....the obvious question is:
Why have the AE cones not suffered any visible damage....
(Possibly because, as you rightly say, 'quality drivers are good for many decades'?).
I'm not saying that Kef are not quality drivers, but you must agree that this would mean that they're (undeniably) less durable. Unacceptably fragile might be a more appropriate description.

Gray

I wouldn't be letting that lie if I were you. It certainly puts me off ever buying any of their products though - I'd at least expect an offer to look at them, rather than outright dismissal. Who's to say that manufacturing defects couldn't manifest themselves in the same way?
This isn't the best advert for Kef.
(As they will understand when (not if) they read this thread).

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
Well gentlemen, just had another email from Kef,offering to send me 2 replacement speakers, so long as I pay transport. What can I say ,except very happy, just waiting for instructions. They wanted to send them from uk but I explained to them that since brexit, we are getting screwed with ridiculous import charges so have asked if they could possibly get them sent from there Spanish Office. Am a waiting for a response. Must say still a bit concerned as to what I do to ensure that the problem doesn't happen again, how can I ensure that there is not too much power going to them,if that is what they say has caused the problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts