Kef IQ5s (SE) in a small room?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After battling with my better half over buying a new pair of speakers, she's taken a fancy to the Kef IQ5s we saw in a local shop - I can't remember if they were SE or not. All the reviews are good, but I'm worried they might have too much bass for our small living room. I know we should probably get small speakers but my beloved sees the whole deal as a good chance to get rid of the stands she hates.

So, in a small 3m x 2.5m living room, will the IQ5s throw out too much bass? I know it's not a question for the purists but any married purists out there might know why I'm asking?

We have a NAD C352 amp and a NAD C525BEE CD player.

A

Anonymous

I think you will get away with it, i used a pair of kef q35's in a room of similar size and they sounded fine, if you can position about a foot (minimum) from wall you should be ok, Demo them at home if you can!

A

Anonymous

Thanks Jimm! I see you're using ye olde faithful C352 too, so good advice - much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

The nad should drive the kef's with ease! Position well, find the sweet spot and all should be ok, good luck brian!

A

Anonymous

Not that much bass in the IQ5SE's to my ears, so I think you should be fine, just be sure to position them from the wall as opposed to right against them, and you should be okay. If you still hae some boom, you could use the supplied bungs to dampen it a little.

A

Anonymous

You can see from my sig I'm driving the KEF IQ5 SE's from the NAD C325 amp without any problem at all. I have the same problem in that the set-up has to pass a visual test and went for the KEF's for the same reason. My other half was all over the curvy shape. I'd not have them if there are kids in the house as they are probably quite easy to knock over being so thin.

IMHO there is plenty of bass response from the speaker and they can certainly allow you to feel as well as hear the bass in a small room. Also having now messed about they are not over sensitive to positioning. KEF do recommend some minimum distances from back and side wall and if you follow these they will sound great. don't worry if you can't as even jammed into the corners of a room they still sound pretty good. If they are too bassy for you use the supplied bungs as has been mentioned.

Of yes - make sure it's the SE's you're buying they are a lot better than the older model.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
also try the cardas golden ratio just go to there site and it will appear that the speakers are right in your face but try that i found that ratio works best in my room which is identical to that size and Im running Proac D28's and they sound fine and I came from the Proac sigs

A

Anonymous

welsh,

are you happy with the 325 / KEFIQ5SE combo? i am considering the same set up.

TRENDING THREADS