Kef 2005.3 vs Monitor Audio R90 HD10

tigetspill

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I am considering two speaker packages to use with my new Denon 1910.

1. Monitor Audio R90HD10 (slightly modified)
R225HD centre; 4xR90HDs; R360HD sub

2. Kef 2005.3 with the Kube-2 sub

Has anyone an opinion on these two set-ups. I prefer a "warmer" sounding system. Primarily this will be used for TV rather than music.

I hope that someone can provide some views on this choice.

Thanks

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
tigetspill:
Hi,

I am considering two speaker packages to use with my new Denon 1910.

1. Monitor Audio R90HD10 (slightly modified)
R225HD centre; 4xR90HDs; R360HD sub

2. Kef 2005.3 with the Kube-2 sub

Has anyone an opinion on these two set-ups. I prefer a "warmer" sounding system. Primarily this will be used for TV rather than music.

I hope that someone can provide some views on this choice.

Thanks

Not even close. The Monitor Audio set up walks over the 3005's from Kef, let alone the 2005's.

A

Anonymous

You might get away with a 180HD (saves 50 quid-ish) for a centre, but definitely the MA wins every time.

tigetspill

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Seems the MAs are way out in front of the KEFs.

I hope you dont mind me asking a further question (I am still learning).

Is the R360HD sub a big compromise from the R370HD sub. My room is a kitchen/family type room 24 x 11 feet, but the TV/living space is only one falf of this at 12 x 11 feet and the sub site between the two sofas. So the area we use could be classified as "small".

Also, you mention the R180HD may be an alternative to the R225HD. I was told the 225 would be noticebly better as it has two bass speakers rather thsn one. I think the saving would be maybe £30 as I have negotiated a pretty good price on this setup.

Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

Hi tigetspill,

I'm not too up on either of the 2 MA subs you mention but one has obviously a 2" larger driver and both are downward firing. I don't know if these would suit a between two sofas positioning - depends on size of gap, maybe a forward firing one would better suit ?

As for the R225 HD then yes it is a very good speaker for centre channel use, and the centre is probably the most important one to spend money on, I was just thinking that with the R90 HD's having 1 x 4" driver and 1 x 1" tweeter then the R180 HD was a dead match. The R225 HD shares the same drivers so will match tonally and as you state has an extra 4" driver, I am certain that you will not go wrong either way.

Cheers Si.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts