Using my Kef egg speakers separately

chickenlegs

Jul 4, 2022
Visit site
I have a set of five Kef egg speakers (KHT 2001) that were previously used with a KEF sub-woofer and Denon receiver as a surround sound set up. Unfortunately, the sub-woofer and receiver no longer work effectively and both units have been taken by someone who is going to try and repair and keep them. I have subsequently purchased a new surround sound system to replace the Kef and Denon.

Rather sell the Kef egg speakers, I wondered if I could use two pairs as hi-fi speakers with my NAD C352 amplifier. I am unsure if the NAD amp and the speakers would be compatible and that using two pairs would provide me with stereo output to each pair. The specification of the Kef speakers indicates that they require amplification between 10 - 100 Watts at 8 ohms. The NAD amplifier specification says Power output Stereo mode 2 x 80 Watts (8 ohms within rated distortion), IHF Dynamic power 8 ohms 2 x 115 Watts (I have no idea what this means!)

As the NAD only has one speaker out connection, and I would like to make use of a pair of Monitor Audio speakers that I also own, I was hoping to be able to purchase and use a speaker switch, as I only need to listen to each pair individually.

Does anyone know if this set up would work and would you be able to recommend a speaker switch?

Many thanks.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
They'll be fine, for the price of speaker switch you may well buy a cheaper second-hand AVR with switchable zones

like a pioneer VSX 2021/22, you can pick them up for around 50-100 quid

best wishes

chickenlegs

Jul 4, 2022
Visit site
Hello twinkletoes - many thanks for your very helpful reply and news that the Refs should be ok as hi-fi speakers. I will certainly look at your suggestion of a switchable amp although I was hoping to retain my existing NAD amp. I saw a speaker switch on Smart Home Sounds YouTube channel ) They are around £150. Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply.
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Hello twinkletoes - many thanks for your very helpful reply and news that the Refs should be ok as hi-fi speakers. I will certainly look at your suggestion of a switchable amp although I was hoping to retain my existing NAD amp. I saw a speaker switch on Smart Home Sounds YouTube channel
) They are around £150. Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply.
Chris

Hi Chris. I see it as taking the path of least resistance. I’m lazy and like a neat rack. So if I have to flick another thing on or switch or dust another box I won’t add it in unless I really have to.

There are many amps out there with 2 sets of binding posts. Some can be used at the same time others not.

The NAD is good amp and ultimately is completely up to you what you would like to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts