Keep it or bin it?

b9listener

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
My present hi fi (circa 2002) consists of a NAD C320BEE amp, Sony RCD W100 and a pair of old but functional Hitachi AX46 speakers. All ancient but functional.

What we want to do is keep the amp and speakers, but dump the Sony cd player. We want to put all our music which is mainly on cds and tapes, onto an ipod and somehow link/attach this to the present amps through a docking system?? Also with a view to attaching portable speakers to allow round the house listening - and in the garden too.

Can we do this with what we got, or do you have any suggestions on how to do this - or do we chuck out the equipment that god used to play with when he was a lad and start afresh?

John Duncan

Hi b9listener

I'd always be keen to try to keep as much of your existing equipment as possible, but tbh I'd be more inclined to get new speakers rather than a new CD player (unless it's not working). Did you have a budget in mind, now and in the future?

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
You could buy something like this:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/wireless-docks,-speakers-and-portables/pure/i-20/pure-i20

...and plug it straight into your current amp.

Alternatively it might be nice to buy something fresh like this:
http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/mini-hi-fi-system-deals/pah01656

This would probably be powerful enough for normal HIFI listening, yet fairly portable at the same time (but you could argue: if it ain't broken, don't fix it...)

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I have my iPod connected to my NAD amp via an Arcam ir dock. It does the job brilliantly for playing and navigating the iPod through the hifi, I've ripped most of my music collection to it in both Apple lossless and 256kbps AAC and it sounds great.

The irDock is below £150, If I remember correctly.

I think your speakers are the weakest link in your system as the rest of your kit is pretty reasonable, so you might want to look into upgrading those. The Arcam dock will give you your music on the hifi, but if you want a portable dock you'd have to look at something else, which isn't something I'm clued up on I'm afraid.

b9listener

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
many thanks for the replies and advice - meanandgreen, your idea seems the favourite so far. Will do some exploring.
I think budgeting for this will be around the £500 mark especially if I've got to replace speakers.

Just looked at Arcam ir dock - only 2 on net. Ones ex demo and t'others used off fleabay.

May try a different Arcam?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts