UPGRADE HOME-CINEMA-IN-A-BOX (OR NOT?)

RaymoC

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice here and I hope some of you can help me out. A few years ago I managed to twist the wife's arm enough to let me get a home cinema. She is very picky (aren't they all
angry_smile.gif
) and we managed to agree on a Samsung HT-C555 home cinema in a box. It sounds pretty good for the price I paid and to be honest I didn't expect much, but it obviously doesn't support the latest decoding formats. I was hoping to upgrade the amp (which they claim is 1000W) and keep the speakers for now. The only problem is the speakers have 3 Ohm impedence written on them, I have tested with a test meter and I was getting a reading of around 6 Ohms. I fancy buying either the Sony STR-DN1040 or STR-DN1050 which are rated 6-16 Ohms as are most. Do you think this is going to be possible or is it too much of a risk? Through time I would be replacing the speakers with good quality ones but I would be divorced if I blew the bank with the full setup (maybe a good thing
thumbs_up.gif
) Any advice is appreciated guys! Cheers, Raymond

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
RaymoC said:
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice here and I hope some of you can help me out. A few years ago I managed to twist the wife's arm enough to let me get a home cinema. She is very picky (aren't they all ) and we managed to agree on a Samsung HT-C555 home cinema in a box. It sounds pretty good for the price I paid and to be honest I didn't expect much, but it obviously doesn't support the latest decoding formats. I was hoping to upgrade the amp (which they claim is 1000W) and keep the speakers for now. The only problem is the speakers have 3 Ohm impedence written on them, I have tested with a test meter and I was getting a reading of around 6 Ohms. I fancy buying either the Sony STR-DN1040 or STR-DN1050 which are rated 6-16 Ohms as are most. Do you think this is going to be possible or is it too much of a risk? Through time I would be replacing the speakers with good quality ones but I would be divorced if I blew the bank with the full setup (maybe a good thing ) Any advice is appreciated guys! Cheers, Raymond

from what i have read, you shouldnt use speakers below 6 ohms. (the minimum on the receiver is the MINIMUM you should use.) no exceptions. personally if size is issue get satellites which are more expensive than cheap speakers and will have better sound than your home cinema in box kind of speakers.

i have sony str-dn1040 myself (not much difference between this and the newer model, dont think any difference in sound quality etc. i have the dali zensor 3 but may be too big for the wife!

I don't think you'll see much of an improvement if you keep the same speakers. Don't forget the amplifier of the Samsung is housed in its subwoofer. So you'll need a subwoofer as well if you want to replace the amplifier. Save up a bit more & replace the entire system in one go. Oh.....and ignore "1000 watts". It means nothing.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

How about these:-

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/pioneer/htp072/pion-htp072

http://www.richersounds.com/product/home-cinema-systems/yamaha/yht1810/yama-yht1810

And add:-

http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/panasonic/dmpbdt130/pana-dmpbdt130-r2

RaymoC

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the great advice guys much appreciated! When I do have to change the speakers I'll have to purchase floorstanders or if good quality tallboys are available (I have a small pup that runs riot and our young nieces and nephews come to visit regularly so can't take the chance of them falling on them) there is no way I could afford to replace the full lot just now though. FYI this is the kit I have: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HT-C555-5-1-Wireless-Compatible/dp/B003DNSC3S I also have an active subwoofer from my hifi setup so I'll be using that. I know what manufacturers claim to be the power output is exagerated and the 3 Ohm claim was worrying me but 6 Ohms on the meter should be more like it? I won't be looking for a better sound from replacing the amp, it is only to be able to play SACD in surround, Hi-res audio, DTS-HD and Dolbytruehd etc and I like the sound modes the Sony's have like the concert halls etc plus the reviews say it all really. I will probably upgrade the front two speakers first giving me 7.2 and then the sides and eventually rear but as money is tight it would take around 6 months between them I think. So what do you reckon? I was only concerned I would damage the amp with the speaker impedance. Cheers guys.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
RaymoC said:
Thanks for the great advice guys much appreciated! When I do have to change the speakers I'll have to purchase floorstanders or if good quality tallboys are available (I have a small pup that runs riot and our young nieces and nephews come to visit regularly so can't take the chance of them falling on them) there is no way I could afford to replace the full lot just now though. FYI this is the kit I have: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HT-C555-5-1-Wireless-Compatible/dp/B003D... I also have an active subwoofer from my hifi setup so I'll be using that. I know what manufacturers claim to be the power output is exagerated and the 3 Ohm claim was worrying me but 6 Ohms on the meter should be more like it? I won't be looking for a better sound from replacing the amp, it is only to be able to play SACD in surround, Hi-res audio, DTS-HD and Dolbytruehd etc and I like the sound modes the Sony's have like the concert halls etc plus the reviews say it all really. I will probably upgrade the front two speakers first giving me 7.2 and then the sides and eventually rear but as money is tight it would take around 6 months between them I think. So what do you reckon? I was only concerned I would damage the amp with the speaker impedance. Cheers guys.

Hi there.

If you are thinking of upgrading the front left and right first you really need to consider the center channel 2. In any surround sound set up it is important to have the fron 3 L/C/R the same type of speaker and preferably the same make.

I'm using JVC settelites from an old DVD all in one for my 7.1 set up but my fronts ar all Mordaunt Short speakers.

Ther will be some very good bookshelf sized speakers with and matching center to keep them small and the wife happy.

With regards upgrading the surrounds at a later date if you get your new fronts, your active sub and the sattelites from the all/in1 intergrated properly you will be supprised how good it all sounds. As long as the ohms don't cause you any trouble and your meter reading is correct then just get as thick a speaker cable into the surrounds as you can to get the most out of them.

RaymoC

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks bigboss and Glacialpath. It has been on my mind all last night and today and I have decided to go for the STR-DN1040. I've thought long and hard about it and think if the speakers are not up to it I have pairs of old Pioneers and Kef Cresta 2's up the attic that would do in the mean time. I would only have to buy a centre and in under 6 months get the two fronts but that creates another problem - which to go for to keep them the same as the centre? Size is also an issue for the centre as currently we have a "nice wee one" which sits tidily on top of the Bluray player. It would take a lot of convincing to be able to buy anything bigger - this may also cost me the price of her getting her hair and nails done lol but would be worth it!

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Get a Philips HTL9100 and a new Blu-ray player and you're done.
Nice and tidy when you use it as a soundbar, but with real surround and HD-audio decoding (and 3d pass trough etc) when you disconnect the side speakers from the bar and place them behind you.

Sounds good too.

RaymoC

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the tip mate. I have already bought the 1040 now though. The HTL9100 looks really nice! The ETA for the amp is Tuesday/Wednesday. I've ordered some QED Classic 42 strand to replace the Samsung bell wire. Used QED for years and always been impressed, this seems to be the cheapest though - anyone have any experience with it?

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
RaymoC said:
Thanks for the tip mate. I have already bought the 1040 now though. The HTL9100 looks really nice! The ETA for the amp is Tuesday/Wednesday. I've ordered some QED Classic 42 strand to replace the Samsung bell wire. Used QED for years and always been impressed, this seems to be the cheapest though - anyone have any experience with it?

Don't expect too much difference if you keep the Samsung HTIB speakers...

RaymoC

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm not expecting much of an improvement if any mate, the reason I've got to upgrade the amp is purely because the Samsung can't decode DTS-HD, Dolbytruehd and as it's an optical input no DSD multi channel. I can't grumble for what I paid for it (think it was £350 in the sale)

TRENDING THREADS