Question karaoke - soundbar - smart TV, will this work?

Gray

Hello,

I'd like to set up a karaoke system with my samsung smart tv and I selected this karaoke system and this samsung soundbar
Can anyone suggest if they will work / connect fine together? What I'm not sure is if this soundbar can be used as an amplifier, so if it has the AUX in to take the output from the karaoke mic set?

many thanks!
alex
Hello Alex.
The aux input on the soundbar requires a line level signal.
The output from that mic receiver is at mic level.
If you wanted to use those two items, you'd need something like this to go between them:
Alternatively you could look for a mic receiver with a line output.
Or see the next post (y)

Last edited:

Gray

A better idea would be to go for something like this:
It would take the output from that mic receiver.
And you could mix some music in from say a CD player, before sending the output off to the soundbar (or, better still, any decent hi-fi you may have).
The mixer gives you a headphone output too.
For more fun you could choose a similar mixer, but with built-in effects such as echo, like this one, with USB interface on one channel, to bring in music from your PC - or record to it:
(If you need help with connection leads, just say).
You never knew you wanted to spend so much money did you? ;)

Last edited:

cat3appr

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
A better idea would be to go for something like this:

Thank you Gay! I really appreciate it. The main point for me is to design a simple home Karaoke system around my TV and soundbar, and not the other way around, so I'm really looking forward for the bare minimum to make it all work together.
I still don't have a TV soundbar, which one would you recommend that would go well with my Samsung TV and accept the AUX output from my mic?

About the mic, I don't know how to find those with line output, I searched in amazon but there's nothing on the descriptions. Are this mic with line output?

Or eventually can I connect this mic with this pre amplifier you suggested ? I understood that most of the soundbar don't have a mic input port, but would it be ok if the output would come from the pre amplifier? so in this case no need of a mixer?

So will it all work with : this mic connected to this pre amplifier which does line output to this soundbar?

many thanks!

Reactions: Gray

Gray

OK, I understand your need to keep it simple, fortunately you found this mic and its receiver does have a line output.
So it will connect directly to the soundbar (using the supplied 3.5mm stereo jack-to-jack plug lead).
(No need for mic. preamp. No need for a separate mixer).
It's a better choice all round, because It's got the facility to take an external (wired or Bluetooth) music source and mix it with the mic (which can have echo on it too).
As for recommending you a soundbar. It's an item I've never had and never will have. When I need better sound from my TV, I put it through my hi-fi.
However, that Samsung one you've chosen is probably as good as any at the price....and it matches your TV.
Have fun.

Last edited:

cat3appr

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
No, that one would need to go via the preamp to the soundbar.
What a shame that other one is not available to you....it's just what you need.

Ok thanks Grey wll try to find an alternative to this mic
Can you tell me where did you see in the description that it has a line output? Is that the only thing I need to check on a wireless mic?

I'm a bit confused because if I google " karaoke wireless mic with line output" nothing gets found with reference to line output... what am I missing?

I found this option and this one but no mention about line output in the description

The seller of this one just came back to me with the following answer:
Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 07.17.10.png

thanks again!

Last edited:

Gray

When you look at the product details Alex, look at all the little pictures and diagrams they give and pay specific attention to what they show and what they say the OUTPUT of the device can connect to. (that's all I'm doing).
Look carefully at that last one for example (the one where he has replied to your question). Look at the second picture in from the left. It clearly shows the receiver plugging into a mic input....there's a red 'x' by 'aux' showing that it can't connect to an aux / line in....and it even says:
'Note: Please make sure your device has a 6.35mm microphone input port'
Take it from me Alex, the answer he has given you is not correct for the above product (it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't know what he's selling - either that or he's aware that the manufacturer is mistaken in their product description!! either way, you don't stand a chance....no wonder you're confused).
You can't be sure of anything with that supplier so personally I would treat it like Covid 19......avoid it.

Answer me these 5 questions if you can please:

Is it essential that the microphones are wireless?

Would you consider using 2 mics with (adequately long) cables?

Does it have to be a soundbar (as opposed to a similarly priced pair of amplified speakers?)

Would you like (switchable) echo facility or not?

Would you like the ability to record all to a PC or not?

Last edited:

cat3appr

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
When you look at the product details Alex...
Thanks again Gray, your help is super appreciated!
ok just to clarify... make sure that the device has a 6.35mm microphone input port ... which device is he talking about here? my loudspeaker? which in order to work with this microphone they should have a 6.35mm input?

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 22.03.46.png

And on this example, from this product, I can tell that it doesn't have a line output because it connects to active speakers, mixers and pre amplifiers?
Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 21.55.39.png

to answer your questions:

Is it essential that the microphones are wireless?
yes absolutely

Would you consider using 2 mics with (adequately long) cables?
No, the wireless feature is necessary,

Does it have to be a soundbar (as opposed to a similarly priced pair of amplified speakers?)

No, it doesn't have to be a soundbar, in fact you are welcome to suggest any other type of loudspeakers, as far as they go well with my Samsung TV, and will give a stereo output. I understand that if I chose an active speaker, then I can use a mic also without line output, is this correct?
But most of the TV speakers I saw, they are not active...

Would you like (switchable) echo facility or not?
... meaning? :)

Would you like the ability to record all to a PC or not?
Not necessary, but if it's possible without extra pieces, sure :)

Now another seller came back with this product saying :
Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 21.40.36.png

So, does this product have line output? :) cause this time I can't really tell from the photos ....

You are very welcome to suggest alternative setups, just the wireless feature is fundamental, anything else can be changed. And I'd prefer to have as little extra as possible... no amp or no mixers...

Gray

Try to fully understand the following Alex:

If the product description states / shows that its output can connect to 'amplified' 'powered' or 'active' speakers, then it will be suitable for direct
connection to the Samsung soundbar you have chosen.
(Amplified, powered, active are 3 different terms used by people to describe speakers with built-in amplification....such as your soundbar).
As you have found, soundbars don't usually have mic inputs. This is because they don't need them! (just so you know, the vast majority of active speakers do not have mic inputs either - so would still require a separate mic preamp).

Once you have found suitable mics / receiver, then together with your soundbar you will have what you wanted. No unnecessary units or extra financial outlay (y)

cat3appr

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
Once you have found suitable mics / receiver, then together with your soundbar you will have what you wanted. No unnecessary units or extra financial outlay (y)

Thanks Gray, yes I am trying to understand if the mics are suatable or not... so this product comes with line 6.35 output , it means i can connect directly to the soundbar and I won't need anything else?
Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 22.32.59.png

Gray

I can't see Line output mentioned amongst the foreign language Alex.
Yes it mentions TRS, which stands for Tip, Ring and Sleeve, which describes the 3 poles of jack plugs like the ones one this lead:
On the product page it also mentions having a balanced and unbalanced output.
To add to your complication, both mic and line level outputs can be done with either balanced or unbalanced connections o_O
Sorry but I don't make the rules.
I suspect that particular one is mic not line.
It frustrates me no end
that these sorts of products give loads of pointless info about possible uses, clubs, churches, meetings, parties etc. etc. stuff you already know, but leave out the relevant stuff that you need to know.
If they would only put the output voltage (in millivolts) in the specification, you could tell instantly whether the output was at mic or line level.

The point is, radio mics at this price level can be hit or miss in terms of performance, which is why I am reluctant to choose one for you.

Find one with a line output and you're there!

cat3appr

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
I can't see Line output mentioned amongst the foreign language

Find one with a line output and you're there!

btw I started to get some knowledge here :)
It seems pretty difficult to find a simple wireless mic with line level output, I posted a few of them and you confirmed they are not line output.
So it seems easier just to buy a preamplifier. Can I pair this this mic with this premp to get a line output and connect it to the soundbar?

Gray

You've found one ✅
The 6th picture down on the left shows it connecting to active speakers.
This means that the receiver has the mic PREamp built in, so you don't need a separate one.
The same picture shows all the supplied connecting leads.
You'd need to use the 3.5mm plug-to-plug lead to go to the soundbar aux input.
With some volume experimentation, on the receiver and soundbar, hopefully all will be OK.
Let us know how it goes.

cat3appr

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
You've found one ✅
The 6th picture down on the left shows it connecting to active speakers.

Confused a bit again :D : I understand that all the standard speakers, like TV soundbars are not active... and in fact I am sure this soundbar is not active...

>This means that the receiver has the mic PREamp built in, so you don't need a separate one.

Just to clarify: Are you saying that this mic has the preamp built in so I dont need a separate one?

Is it ok that the soundbar will be a passive speaker?

Gray

To be clear:
A standard 'passive' speaker contains no amplification (you can't connect a line level signal to it).

A soundbar with an aux input has amplification inside it (which takes line to speaker level).

You're soundbar is therefore not a passive speaker (it's not strictly an 'active' one either, but that's a subject for another 150 posts :fearscream:).
It contains amplification so can take the line level that the mic receiver gives it.
Because we know that a line level is coming out of the receiver, we can be sure it contains a mic preamp.
So yes, I am saying that you do not need a separate preamp.
Read the above as many times as you have to Alex. I want you to fully understand what you're buying.

Last edited:

Gray

:LOL: I thought by now you were going to say how well it was all working!

If you look at the soundbar's description, you'll see it says
'analog audio input'. That is the aux input.
And yes, it will accept the output from that mic receiver.

Last edited:

cat3appr

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
:LOL: I thought by now you were going to say how well it was all working!

No I still have sometime to optimise ! :)

In fact, I am looking at other soundbars which have a wireless subwoofer for just a little extra and I might go for this, what do you think? I don't see AUX or analog audio input though... would this receive output from my mic?

And how about this Bose , more pricey, do you think is worth the extra price? But I don't see AUX or analog audio input for this as well..

Gray

No I still have sometime to optimise ! :)

In fact, I am looking at other soundbars which have a wireless subwoofer for just a little extra and I might go for this, what do you think? I don't see AUX or analog audio input though... would this receive output from my mic?

And how about this Bose , more pricey, do you think is worth the extra price? But I don't see AUX or analog audio input for this as well..
Couldn't see aux on the Sony, did see one (pictured way down in the description) on the Bose.

Vaccine or Alex's Karaoke, which will come first? Both will end suffering 🌈

cat3appr

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
Couldn't see aux on the Sony, did see one (pictured way down in the description) on the Bose.

Vaccine or Alex's Karaoke, which will come first? Both will end suffering 🌈

Ok I'll go with the BOSE system, it has an AUX in indeed :) out of curiosity, most of the soundbars come with the subwoofer but not the BOSE, how come?

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts