Just upgraded my amp!, interconnect advice needed.

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi guy’s I’ve had a moment of craziness and have just brought myself two brand new, from a BADA dealer, Musical Fidelity 550k supercharges for £1,000. (Now discontinued). I’m still waiting for them to arrive and will let you know what I think when I get them.

I’ve been wanted to upgrade my amplifier for ages and I’ve always said the next amplifier I get has to be a powerhouse, my first choice would have been a Bryston Pre/power, but at £7k, that means a loan and a long way off in the future. I was going to carry on saving but decided there’s no point as that upgrade would be years off.

As it costs £400 to “fine tune my existing amplifier musical fidelity A3 and second hand equipment is still holding its value well, helped by increasing new prices, I saw this offer and thought, it’s a bargain not to be miss!

Until funds permit, I plan on using the pre-outs on my integrated amp and use it as a pre-amp.

One area I need advice on is this; I use Nordost cables throughout, and intend to buy Blue Heaven interconnects between the amp and monoblocks, but I have been warned that as they are unshielded the amplifier may hum.

Obviously I plan to use my existing interconnects to see if this will be a problems, but I’m not sure of what other shielded interconnects are on the market are available for a MAX of £150, if humming is a problem. Any ideas? I want a cable of a similar tonal balance, fast, pacey and detailed.

Merlin interconects have been suggested but I've no experience of them, or any other brand for that matter.

If any one has any first hand experience of the 550k, I would be interested in hearing what you have to say

A

Anonymous

Try Silver High Breed Synergy S2i, £27 on fleebay. They are 'home-made' but eat expensive cables for lunch IMO.

I had S2, now i am testing S2i and will be first person other than the seller to test SHB Coherence ICs.. (not affiliated with the seller in any way btw).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts