Just snagged some Rogers DB101s!

T

the record spot

Got a pair of these coming in the post - very keen to hear these; remember them when they came out in the late 90s and the SoS review is appealing. We'll see. I'll post up some thoughts when I've had a listen.

Mine are in red however!

2542051222273487_m.jpg
RogersDB1011.jpg

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
"If you want to know the profile of the target user, look to the specs. A sensitivity of 92dB for 1W, a 4 ohm impedance, a recommended amp range of 25-150W and maximum spls of 108dB at two metres can mean only one thing: headbanging equipment wreckers. Make no mistake: the db101 is meant to survive anything that some half-deaf moron in a studio, a record shop or a disco can throw at it."

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
to be fair they look better in red

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rogers-DB101-British-speakers-nr-mint-BOXED-/120984428196?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item1c2b3bdea4

T

the record spot

£200?!? Never get that. Mine were way less (and the seller's reliable!). They'been despatched already too. They came in several finishes and the one I showed was indeed grim! Red looks rather smart though.

T

the record spot

I'll try them with both more than likely. Should be here next Tuesday or so.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Ha, those take me back - a friend of mine had them in exactly that black/gold marble effect in his recording studio. I even quite like them in that finish!

If I remember correctly, they were pretty impressive sounding things - certainly they could take quite a bashing on the volume. No idea what he did with them, but they have defintely been moved on - read into that whatever you will!

RS - I suspect you and I might share a very similar "problem". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I hanker like crazy after oldish kit that I can get at bargain prices. I have to really keep a hold of myself to stop bidding on all sorts of stuff on ebay. Anything I can pick up for £100ish or less that originally cost way more than that (esp. taking inflation into consideration) and I'm like a kid in a sweet shop.

Just seems like a cheap(ish) way of indulging in the hobby. And as you know, you can put something together for peanuts that sounds not like peanuts.

Without wanting to get too much on a rant, I like second hand everything - we should all make do more and reuse stuff wherever possible. I find how the Cubans recycle and repair their cars very inspirational. Like to think my stereos would inspire the Cubans. Er, maybe not.

T

the record spot

plastic penguin said:
Looks like B&W nicked the design for the PM1s. I assume they'll fit snugly on your stands?

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the PM1s PP. They should be fine on the Mission stands too. Looking forward to hearing them. They're quite lean I think, in as much as the bass is likely more accurate than plentiful. Or at least, no flab. Great midrange by all accounts, so this'll be interesting.

T

the record spot

omnibeard said:
RS - I suspect you and I might share a very similar "problem". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I hanker like crazy after oldish kit that I can get at bargain prices. I have to really keep a hold of myself to stop bidding on all sorts of stuff on ebay. Anything I can pick up for £100ish or less that originally cost way more than that (esp. taking inflation into consideration) and I'm like a kid in a sweet shop.

Just seems like a cheap(ish) way of indulging in the hobby. And as you know, you can put something together for peanuts that sounds not like peanuts.

Well, I guess I'm in a position to be able to try out a few different bits and pieces - I've always been interested in hifi, but someone (or more likely several people) on other sites talked up the Sony amp and the 630ESD turned up which I won. The CDP-791 was a BIN for chuckaway money and while likely nothing special, it won't be too shabby either. I'll keep an eye out for their higher ended ES range players though which are built to a mind-numbing spec from all accounts. The only other would be a higher end Pioneer Elite such as the PD91.

And you're right; the Sony amp and CD player come in at under £160, plus £80-odd for the Rogers speakers. £250 if you include the cost of a couple of pints! Gumtree is another good place to find good stuff for a good price. If you look at the Sansui 217 I landed a year or three back, you can bring the price down to £160 all in.

Most other stuff though, I buy new!

matthewpiano

Second hand is where the affordable fun is. The stakes are much lower, there is a wider variety of kit available and it is great fun. My main system is absolutely cast in stone now. I won't be parting with any part of it. However, I may still play around with some second hand kit for another set-up and top of my list when I do will be a clean NAD 3020i with the matching FM tuner, probably for use with the KEF C30s I've still got to one side which are old-school tall and shallow sealed boxes. Its all good fun!

T

the record spot

Holy Mother of God Matt, you don't have a 3020i?!?! That must be the only bit of gear you've not wandered past at some point in recent years!

Just kiddin' big fella! :)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Never had one. Heard them briefly at various times but would love to really put one through its paces.

Ebay is full of them, :type: i've got mine for 40£ this summer, and yesterday I won the auction for a MA RS1 for 100£, the shipping to Portugal steals the beauty of the deals... |(

But when the Rega Brio R arrive my bedroom system will be complited, NAD 3020i+MA RS1+SBT... Hummm i think it will work, dont you think so...? :roll:

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
the record spot said:
And you're right; the Sony amp and CD player come in at under £160, plus £80-odd for the Rogers speakers. £250 if you include the cost of a couple of pints! Gumtree is another good place to find good stuff for a good price. If you look at the Sansui 217 I landed a year or three back, you can bring the price down to £160 all in.

Most other stuff though, I buy new!

Pretty sure I saw a 217 for £5 on gumtree - it was way oop north, and not sure how good nick it was in, but seriously????

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
£200?!? Never get that. Mine were way less (and the seller's reliable!). They'been despatched already too. They came in several finishes and the one I showed was indeed grim! Red looks rather smart though.

And yes, they definitely look cool in red!

Congrats!

Huum, they remind me of something, but now I can not know exactly what ...? ;)

T

the record spot

Okay, so, eventually at 6pm yesterday (thanks Yodel), they arrived. Finally, but at least it made yesterday interesting as a Sony CDP-791 also arrived (or at least I picked it up from the TNT place near the airport)!

So, what're they like? Well, they've aged well. The design's hard to describe and I'm happy to report the pair I landed is a hell of a lot better looking than the one in the photo I grabbed off the web at the start of this thread! I'll put up some shots later when I've taken a few more, but enough of the eye-candy stuff, how do they sound?

First off they sound like no other speaker I've heard. Through CD and WAV streamed files, bass is - as you might think of it - virtually AWOL. Imaging, midrange, treble however are hard to beat and these deliver in spades. Voices are in the room with you and the articulation of the finer, more subtle elements in a recording are all there. Those of you who want warm and cuddly should look elsewhere. It's almost forensic, but not intrusively so. This is still a highly adept and musical speaker. It's a closed box design too, so no booming ports thumping out and hence they sit nicely near walls.

Chebby linked to a page earlier on in the thread that made me think this could be a rocker's speaker, but in truth, that's about as far away from the target market as you'll get. The grunt ain't there for those guys.

What they do share with the rock brothers however is a need to be driven well. To hear the DB101's at their best, you need to give them some volume. I live in an apartment which is a fairly new build, hence paper-thin walls, so driving them hard ain't an option or I'll be driven out! I could invest in a subwoofer, but that's not happening and for the same reasons (neighbours again!). Chances are I'll be moving these on again soon-ish for those reasons.

While they're a tad lean with my gear, they shine with Spotify through the ATV3 and on via the Sony amp. I have no idea why this should be so but it is. The sound is far more rounded, deeper and the bass is noticebaly improved. Bizarre, but true. Threw a good selection of my Spotify stuff at them and they shone.

Ridin' with the King from Eric Clapton and BB King was a revelation. Every nuance there, but the whole flowed wonderfully.

No question, this is a Marmite product. Some will love them, others will loathe them. For me, I'd take them long term in a heartbeat, but they'd need to go with a well partnered subwoofer. Positioned well (they're magnetically shielded too) they'll sing like canaries (very clear ones!). If Cerwin Vega! style grunt is your thing, look away now. These are some of the most transparent speakers I've heard, but by no small coincidence, some of the most musical too.

8064325467_35b6578657.jpg

...mind you, I could hang on to them. For a while anyway! :)

http://www.rogershifi.com/ENG/review-DB101.php

Interesting observations, RS. TBH, I can't really get my head around the style: They look like an overweight PM1, something I alluded to earlier, and rather strange.

Think partnering will be crucial by the sounds of it. Odd that the bass is lean. By the aesthetics alone they look like bass-bruisers...

Nice one, RS.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts