Just done a stupid thing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Are there not issues with metadata when using wav files? Never dealt with them so just asking?

So far no difference at all using jriver
New software upgrade it all tags quicker also
Maybe it's not down to the file type

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I keep a backup of my music on an external HD in case of a PC disk failure. Copying via USB 3 to a HD is much quicker than using a NAS on ethernet.

ellisdj said:
I did my own testing and thought wav sounded better. I wouldnt compress the flac even if I ripped to flac so its pointless to rip to flac in my opinion.

I am only about 500gb used on a 1tb ssd so not worried about storage

But they contain identical information, so how can they sound different?

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
ellisdj said:
Its all about the noise my man - ssd sound better, did my own testing on that as well but not tried different ones, Just bought Samsung Evo.

You can pick them up cheaper on ebay

I'd also go SSD as no moving parts and silent

More importantly in my view if your main drive is a SSD, your PC will reboot much much more quickly, and I believe a SSD will last longer, and it produces less heat.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Early days and no direct comparisons but I can't hear any difference between flac and wave, Ellis

I can't hear any difference, Ellis
Ellis, I can't hear a difference

Ellis where are you come back here haha

I'm enjoying redoing all the discs
I have lots of work so keep sticking in one every few minutes

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If you really want me to mess you up i would say its because your ripping in jriver not dbpoweramp.

Time to start again.
Also what are you ripping to ssd or hd?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
If you really want me to mess you up i would say its because your ripping in jriver not dbpoweramp.

Time to start again.
Also what are you ripping to ssd or hd?
Hhd laptop I'm afraid
That's all I have

What do you have against jriver
It has bit perfect checking and all

I personally love it

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
[/quote]

But they contain identical information, so how can they sound different?

[/quote]

Okay this is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mac mini lossless itunes to NAD 390 via optical compared to Sony BDP 720 connected via coax - no differance

Jriver on 30 day free trail converts libary to flac , no differance to the Sony or itunes via optical.

Switch things around use usb from Mini to NAD , I'm now listening jriver usb to nad in the room , itunes to airplay around the house.

jriver expires and I go back to itunes in the room WTF ? tiny stage, no bass and a harsh treble (this is a NAD amp remember <S>) I'm moving speakers and checking connections.

I switch back to the optical connection everything is back to fine.

This has to be the way the DAC is decoding the different inputs.

So 5 billion words later , they can sound different

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site

But they contain identical information, so how can they sound different? 

[/quote]

Mac mini lossless itunes to NAD 390 via optical compared to Sony BDP 720 connected via coax - no differance 

Jriver on 30 day free trail converts libary to flac , no differance to the Sony or itunes via optical.

Switch things around use usb from Mini to NAD , I'm now listening jriver usb to nad in the room ,  itunes to airplay around the house.

jriver expires and I go back to itunes in the room  WTF ? tiny stage, no bass and a harsh treble (this is a NAD amp remember <S>) I'm moving speakers and checking connections.

This has to be the way the DAC is decoding the different inputs.

[/quote]

Sorry but I'm not quite sure what you mean

Please explain again

Btw I'm already about 70 discs in

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Yes but maybe not different but softer or louder.

Only example I have is optical out on my TV is much quieter than optical out on my Blu-ray
Same disc same dac

I would like clarification from someone that knows does digital out have an output level?

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
JamesMellor said:

Mac mini lossless itunes to NAD 390 via optical compared to Sony BDP 720 connected via coax - no differance

Switch things around use usb from Mini to NAD , I'm now listening jriver usb to nad in the room , itunes to airplay around the house.

jriver expires and I go back to itunes in the room WTF ? tiny stage, no bass and a harsh treble (this is a NAD amp remember <S>) I'm moving speakers and checking connections.

This has to be the way the DAC is decoding the different inputs.

I haven't a clue what you said, but WAV and FLAC sound the same, they are the same as far as the music goes. Compressing and decompressing is easy to do and very easy to test to make sure it is bit perfect.

S

SemiChronic

Last year i had a spin on the Jriver Mac version, personally id never have bought it. Was curious so had a free trial.

To me it seemed a wee bit if a faff to use. Sounded good.

Flac - today i shoved a usb stick with some 16/44.1 into my network player/peasant thing and to be honest it didnt sound wildly different to Spotify Premium. Not enough of a difference to make me start archiving a massive collection of preferred codecs.

I dont own a nas drive.

I often wonder what people do with thier nas drives. Surely nobody listens to everything on it. Lets be honest weve all got albums on cd that we never listen to, but just dont chuck out.

Why do people painstakingly rip/catalogue anything they can get thier hands on and then skip past it?

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'm saying my DAC amp "translates" opitcal/coax the same reguradless of file type. On the USB input the two formats sound different, this could well be a failure of the DAC amp software. I have seen on this forum a guy commenting his new mac with just USB3 outputs sounds different to his old optical out.

I'm thinking different formats may sound different with different DACs

James

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I agree , but save an excel file and open it in works or word , its all there but over four pages , open it in numbers and its all there but at an 80% page size when printed, open a word file in pages fill it in save it and open it in word the forumilas dont work and everything is xxxx's.

After that try open office.

The data can be presented differently

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
WAV and FLAC files sound 100% identical. FLAC is just a type of file compression like a ZIP file for you computer. Once the data is unpacked from the FLAC file exactly the same information is presented to the DAC as would be from a WAV file.

Think about it like this. If you have a DOC document file on you computer and you compress it to a ZIP file it will take up half the disk space but when you uncompress the ZIP file back to it's original DOC format it's still exactly the same as before. There won't be any letters changed or words missing just because it was converted from a DOC to ZIP and back to a DOC again. The uncompressed document information is 100% unchanged and identical to the original in every way.

The same applies to FLAC files. Once they are uncompressed the information in them is 100% exactly the same as the information on the original audio CD or WAV file.

100% IDENTICAL ! ! !

It's called 'lossless' for a reason guys.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Just rip a track to FLAC and WAV and open them in Soundforge, Audicity or any other software of the like.

Claiming WAV is different or sounds better is beyond silly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts